Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Charles Rogers passed away

Are you surprised though?     To me this is as surprising as Layne Staley's death.    It's so sad.   If he had a person or two really get through to him he would have been alright.   

56 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Was that a joke?   If it is, I applaud your darkness - I really do.  

I thought the same thing.

I remember seeing a interview with Rogers not too long ago. He was working at some car shop in Florida. What struck me was how skinny he looked and I would have never guessed this tooth pick would have been a top NFL prospect. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I thought the same thing.

I remember seeing a interview with Rogers not too long ago. He was working at some car shop in Florida. What struck me was how skinny he looked and I would have never guessed this tooth pick would have been a top NFL prospect. 

I remember that same article and it was sad to see, but it was all his fault.   

I think most of us have a few people in our lives that would kick our butts metaphorically or even literally if we strayed off the right path too much.    When you surround yourself with only Yes Men and enablers, really bad things can escalate - and fast.      

Flip side is I have seen many youth athletes who were micromanaged by controlling parents and it almost always ****s those kids up far beyond their athletic development.

I don't think there is any one answer, but in the end I think it mostly comes down to how grounded the individual is, because once they are an adult, they are going to behave how they are going to behave.  Being afraid of your dad or whomever only works so long.  It is probably at least somewhat unfair to put it this way, but Tiger Woods is an example of that.

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I remember that same article and it was sad to see, but it was all his fault.   

Ahhhh...yes, personal responsibility.  But addiction is a mental illness. He had the shoulder injuries and he blamed the Lions for supplying him massive amounts of Vicodin. It's a horrible end to a very talented player. What could have been....

16 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Ahhhh...yes, personal responsibility.  But addiction is a mental illness. He had the shoulder injuries and he blamed the Lions for supplying him massive amounts of Vicodin. It's a horrible end to a very talented player. What could have been....

I'm thinking the booze had more to do with this than anything............

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm thinking the booze had more to do with this than anything............

Vicodin has acetaminophen in it, which if taken in huge quantities, can damage your liver. They also said he had liver cancer, if that's from the drugs and drinking, I don't know. Most alcoholics can drink and live longer than 38 years. There more than likely other drugs involved. But his disease was addiction, originally. And he never got help for it. He still owes the Lions a part of his signing bonus but he was totally broke. Just a very sad story.