Sign in to follow this  
T&P_Fan

2018-2019 NHL Discussion

Fire Mike Babcock, that’s it.  

Worse than Patricia, it isn’t close.  

Given that a) Pittsburgh and St Louis have gone on Cup runs in recent years after changing coaches mid season; b) the Leafs have many expiring contracts especially on defense; and c) Tampa is playing like they might be vulnerable even if for this season only, I'd have to think Dubas and ownership see the future as now. That said, I think Babcock gets at least 20 more games, he can be evaluated in late January and a decision made then.

image.gif.d0bd64d9818ee47bb93f11bcee9ac474.gifMr.TaterSalad

Don Cherry was fired today by Sportsnet. I loved Cherry as a kid and he was a staple growing up watching Molson HNIC on CBC Windsor. That said, his xenophobia and irrational hatred of the Eruo-style game has overstayed its welcome.

Buddha

Posted Monday at 01:24 PM

THAT'S what finally got cherry fired?  sheesh.  doesnt take much nowadays.

Don had a good run, but in a career that was always schtick, he had turned even more ridiculous in the last decade or so.

i'll always remember him hating on the red wings for their russian bent, at least for awhile.  

lordstanley

I haven't watched Cherry regularly in years.  For that matter, HNIC isn't a big deal to me anymore either, it's about as important as Game of the Week baseball.  At one time, beyond the shtick, I found he was reasonably insightful, but except for no-touch icing and don't distract your own goalie by waving your stick a shot from the point, I have a hard time remembering anything he has said in the past 20 years.  

drownwithyou

Posted Monday at 01:37 PM

Good riddance.  When Ron released his apology video last night basically apologizing for them both I figured Cherry refused to apologize and was toast.

six-hopper

I hope he refused to apologize.  That would be refreshing.  Because he suggested that immigrants should be grateful for the life they have in Canada -- the life that presumably is what they immigrated for -- he is an unemployed "racist."  Ridiculous.

stanpapi
Posted Monday at 02:01 PM
They were looking for a reason. But this is their reason?? He was basically fired for asking for people to support the troops. He shouldn't apologize at all and should immediately sue them for age discrimination. 

Buddha

Posted Monday at 02:01 PM

like i said, THATS what got him fired?  i thought he'd said a lot more controversial stuff than that in the past.

Cherry did refuse to apologize.  good for him.  but he had long since outlived his usefulness and was now just terrible suits and vitriol.  not much else.

i always liked ron maclean and hope he sticks around.

hnic isnt so important when every game is on tv, but i always liked to watch it back in the day and would always watch cherry as a kid hoping he would say something nice about the red wings.

drownwithyou

Great, the clown car showed up

stanpapi

Posted Monday at 02:14 PM
Guess Ron forgot all about how grapes had his back during this one. Way to return the favor, Ron.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2012/05/10/don_cherry_defends_ron_maclean.html

Buddha

i feel i have dragged this thread offcourse.

what we need is bigglesworth to let us know more about how youth hockey coaching.  

image.gif

lordstanley

Posted Monday at 02:29 PM

These days, HNIC is just another Leafs game and so most of my Facebook friends who are posting about Cherry today are Leafs fans.

Don Cherry as much as anyone is responsible for the insiduous trend of 9 year olds in Ontario wearing jackets and ties to their hockey practices. If that's not a fireable offense I don't know what is.

Hongbit

Posted Monday at 03:18 PM

Now kids, take a look here, don’t be a xenophobic ahole stuck in the 1970’s.  
Great final lesson for the kids from Grapes.  

stanpapi
Posted Monday at 06:18 PM

It's a sports story, but it's very obviously a political agenda on the part of sportsnet. Because who out there can think of anything more terrible to teach children but to support your veterans and your military families? With all the things that people have said on tv over the years to get themselves fired, this was one of the most benign comments I can recall.

Hongbit
Posted Monday at 06:43 PM

I’m not a big fan of Cancel Culture.  However, the lack of apology from Grapes leads me to believe that Archie Bunker probably refused to apologize.   

Lei Pong
Posted 12 hours ago

If Cherry had simply said more people in Canada need to show respect for the veterans who sacrificed he would have been fine.  In today's culture...especially in Canada...you can't single out classes of people and expect to stay on TV

lordstanley

Posted 12 hours ago

I'd like to see a poll of Chinese -Canadians as to what they find more offensive: a) Cherry's comments on Saturday; or b) the fact that Hockey Night in Canada is sponsored by Huawei!  Basically an arm of the Communist Party of China. While protests rage in HK. While China tries to bully Canada regarding the extradition case of Huawei's Meng. While 2 Canadians are being held hostage in China. Yeah, so much for NHL/Rogers/Sportsnet values.

Hockey-Night-In-Canada-Huawei.png

Gehringer_2
Posted 2 hours ago

And TBF, the sale of poppies by VFWs etc is a left over World War ONE tradition. How many Canadians either born there or immigrated have much familiarity with it? My parents were VFW, so I know about it, but I doubt many of my boomer friends know much about let alone the 60%-70% of the native born north American population born since I was. It's just an odd hill to plant your flag on in terms of patriotism.

The accumulated experiences as you get older can broaden your perspective of the world, but there is a powerful tendency as we age for the circle of our concerns to close back in on the most near and familiar, almost the inverse of the way an infant's perspective of the world grows outward. If you don't fight that you end up like Cherry.

Buddha
Posted 2 hours ago

In fairness to Cherry, he did say yesterday that he was wrong to say "you people" and should have said "everyone."

It's not unfair to think people should remember the sacrifices people made in the not so distant past.  But it is an odd hill to die on.  And I don't think he should have been fired over it, but he may have told management to eff off when they asked him to clarify his statements.

Mr. Bigglesworth
Posted 1 hour ago
It was long rumored Cherry would not be offered a contract for this season.  I think it is very likely he had very little support within Sportsnet and he was told he couldn't make any more controversial statements.  I also strongly suspect he was been given several 'last' chances over the years.

At some point, it shouldn't be surprising it cost him in the end, as these things tend to go.

The cynic in me thinks that Sportsnet did not want to hire him this season, but feared the backlash if they let him go in the offseason, so they basically are using this 'controversy' as an excuse to fire him with cause so as to minimize backlash. In other words, they gave him the rope to hang himself.

lordstanley
Posted 44 minutes ago
I think Biggs' read is bang on. 

Sportsnet has got rid of expensive names recently like Bob Cole, Nick Kypreos and Doug McLean.  A few years ago it looked like Ron McLean was out too, until a public backlash. Cherry has long been Teflon Don and while it may be odd that Saturday's segment is what got him fired, saying he has said 20 other more offensive things in the past isn't much of a defense. 

Interestingly, Coach's Corner is a taped segment (typically done right near the end of the 1st period for intermission airings) and it aired 3 different times in the space of 10 minutes as the Leafs, Habs and Sens got to intermission at different times. Sportsnet had ample chance to pull it. And according to Cherry, they didn't say anything to him before he left Saturday.

I will say that some of the people taking glee in Cherry's firing and calling him a garbage human being seem like pretty miserable lowlifes themselves, but that's always the case if one dares read Twitter or YouTube comments on virtually any topic these days.

Gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

. In other words, they gave him the rope to hang himself.

LOL, a strategy I have seen more than one organization put its hopes in.

Mr. Bigglesworth

I saw it happen to an engineer some 15 years ago.

He was a dead man walking and didn't know it.  First minor slip up (a slip up that wasn't even his fault, incidentally), boom, gone.  Those without the inside info couldn't believe the suddenness or finality of it.

They didn't know, it wasn't a matter of if, just when.

McDavid with 6 points and Draisatl with 5 points in Colorado tonight. Through 2 periods! Still 20 minutes to go.

This is wrong on many levels from last night.   

Matt Calvert takes a shot to the back of the head and is actually bleeding on the ice.   The refs choose not to stop play despite an obvious serious injury.    If they truly care about being accountable for player safety then both refs need to be suspended for a game.  

On 11/18/2019 at 5:32 PM, Hongbit said:

This is wrong on many levels from last night.   

Matt Calvert takes a shot to the back of the head and is actually bleeding on the ice.   The refs choose not to stop play despite an obvious serious injury.    If they truly care about being accountable for player safety then both refs need to be suspended for a game.  

Sounds like it's time for a rule change.

What a month in the NHL: Don Cherry, the post-firing Babcock stories, Bill Peters against Akim Aliu & others.

It's like #MeToo is coming to the NHL.