kdog

Lions at Bears 11/10

15 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Tonight's OT win by Seattle over San Francisco is the best MNF I can remember.

I noticed Diggs looked like his old self. Played a pretty good game

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

i would definitely NOT want nick saban to coach this team.  give me someone on the forefront of coaching, using new methods to win football games, not a guy who can recruit better than anyone else.  the talent is equal in the nfl and i suspect saban would fail just like he failed the first time.

Caveat: It has about a half a percent chance of happening.

But, if you're going to axe your coach after two seasons, not only are the odds against you in getting the next decision right, you are also going to look foolish and inept in the process.

Unless you go after a coach who looks to the whole football world like an upgrade over the coach you already have.

As bad as Patricia looks now, there are not a lot of available coaches who would clearly be an upgrade over him.

Saban would undoubtedly bring a lot of learning from his NFL failure back to the league.

And beyond recruiting, his strength has been in building a program with top flight coaches and systems. One reason why so many successful coordinators fail to become successful head coaches is that they can't do this. Patricia is starting to look like this.

Finally, he's getting up there. At age 68, if he wants one more crack at it, now's the time. And maybe by the time he's in his early 70s he has a coaching succession plan in place.

Again, no more than a half a percent chance of this happening. And if the Lions can't bring in a whale to take over for Patricia, I say give the Quinn/Patricia regime one more season.

I'm just a dude with an opinion, but if Lincoln Riley were willing to leave the college ranks and go pro he would be my guy as a coach. It's an offensive league, you have Matt Stafford/Kerryon Johnson/Golladay/Marvin/Hockenson as weapons to build around. Let Riley bring a little of his Big 12, Air Raid style offense that he employs at Oklahoma to the Lions and see what he can do.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm just a dude with an opinion, but if Lincoln Riley were willing to leave the college ranks and go pro he would be my guy as a coach. It's an offensive league, you have Matt Stafford/Kerryon Johnson/Golladay/Marvin/Hockenson as weapons to build around. Let Riley bring a little of his Big 12, Air Raid style offense that he employs at Oklahoma to the Lions and see what he can do.

i would take lincoln riley over nick saban any day of the week.

and quandre diggs looked pretty good for seattle last night...

13 hours ago, Buddha said:

i would take lincoln riley over nick saban any day of the week.

Are we sure he would be an upgrade over Bevell?

3 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Are we sure he would be an upgrade over Bevell?

i like bevell.  i think he's been really good.  i think riley is a really good head coach, very innovative and think he would be a good nfl head coach.  or at the very least, would be an interesting choice.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

i like bevell.  i think he's been really good.  i think riley is a really good head coach, very innovative and think he would be a good nfl head coach.  or at the very least, would be an interesting choice.

My concern with Patricia was that he would come in and blow up the defense, and not be able to get it running again. Seems like this is still where we are.

The offense was doing tolerably well under Caldwell; under Bevell, it shows potential to be explosive.

I would hate to see them do a clean sweep, and get rid of Bevell, even for a potential offensive guru like Riley. The problem on offense now is that everybody is hurt.

If they make a coaching change at this point, I would want someone who is coming in to be a head coach, not a glorified OC or DC.

Alternatively, give Bevell a shot as HC and bring in a DC with extensive head coaching experience. 

i dont know what to think.  they have a legitimate superstar at qb and they still cant win.

honestly, i would fire quinn and give patricia another year.  i have similar misgivings as you re bevell.  i think he's done a great job this year, but they are really wasting the best qb the franchise has ever had with ths ****ty collection of talent.

Quinn needs to go.  Are we in any better shape than we were when he got here?  I don't think so.  

12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Quinn needs to go.  Are we in any better shape than we were when he got here?  I don't think so.  

Probably not.  But I think its the duo of BQ and MP.  The  DEF scheme is awful. How many more guys do they need to make it successful?  I would think a new coach could come in, install a 4-3 with the personnel they have and be ok. 

14 hours ago, Buddha said:

i dont know what to think.  they have a legitimate superstar at qb and they still cant win.

honestly, i would fire quinn and give patricia another year.  i have similar misgivings as you re bevell.  i think he's done a great job this year, but they are really wasting the best qb the franchise has ever had with ths ****ty collection of talent.

Seriously. Every year it’s the same thing. Stafford keeps them close, and they lose a few games, and the season, on unprecedented calls, or SOL errors. 

I see what Q/P are trying to do with the 3-4 defense. It’s more versatile against the short passing attacks that are common now. And the Pats, at least, have been able to build their defense without paying top dollar for an edge rusher. They spend their big bucks on CBs, who are cheaper. 

I also think they are closer than it may appear. Injuries to Hand and Daniels, then Slay and Walker, and now KJ and Stafford, have really made a difference. That’s six of your top... eight players? Ten? They shoulda stacked up some wins early, but... SOL. 

If they can’t get their roster set up for MP to run the defense he envisions in his third year, it is without question time for both to go. 

But I agree with those who say the fates of Quinn and Patricia are tied. 

On 11/12/2019 at 4:07 PM, Jason_R said:

Caveat: It has about a half a percent chance of happening.

But, if you're going to axe your coach after two seasons, not only are the odds against you in getting the next decision right, you are also going to look foolish and inept in the process.

Unless you go after a coach who looks to the whole football world like an upgrade over the coach you already have.

As bad as Patricia looks now, there are not a lot of available coaches who would clearly be an upgrade over him.

Saban would undoubtedly bring a lot of learning from his NFL failure back to the league.

And beyond recruiting, his strength has been in building a program with top flight coaches and systems. One reason why so many successful coordinators fail to become successful head coaches is that they can't do this. Patricia is starting to look like this.

Finally, he's getting up there. At age 68, if he wants one more crack at it, now's the time. And maybe by the time he's in his early 70s he has a coaching succession plan in place.

Again, no more than a half a percent chance of this happening. And if the Lions can't bring in a whale to take over for Patricia, I say give the Quinn/Patricia regime one more season.

I think that it would be hard to find someone who would not be an upgrade over Proper Posture and Pad-Level Patricia.  So I hope the Lions keep him for a long time.   

As for Quinn, keep him, too.  I want to see the Lions draft all of the Teezes and Tavais and first-round tight ends he can get his hands on.

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

I think that it would be hard to find someone who would not be an upgrade over Proper Posture and Pad-Level Patricia.  So I hope the Lions keep him for a long time.   

As for Quinn, keep him, too.  I want to see the Lions draft all of the Teezes and Tavais and first-round tight ends he can get his hands on.

I know that is sarcasm, but if they drafted another Tight End in the first this year, there are fans out there who would justify it given how bad Hockenson has looked this season.