kdog

Lions at Bears 11/10

10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

so in bonghit's world, they stopped firing white guys quickly and started only firing black guys quickly?

come on man.  its the nfl.  people get fired all the time, no matter what the color of their skin is.  there's tons of evidence.

Hue Jackson wasn't even fired after going 1-31. 

20 hours ago, Buddha said:

browns and falcons winning helps the lions in the annual draft position battle!  good results this week!

We're coming for you too Miami. So who are the top tight ends in this draft?

20 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Well, for the sake of extending Stafford’s career, I think it is time to put him on IR. No realistic chance of the playoffs at this point, KJ is injured, defense keeps giving up leads and putting the offense in passing situations... pull the plug. 

For the sake of extending Stafford's career, it's time to trade him to an NFL caliber franchise.

15 hours ago, motown blues said:

or tony dungy

or Hue Jackson.

I don't see what being white or black has to do with anything. Caldwell got roughly the same amount of rope that Schwartz had with similar results. Pulling the race card is weak when there's no proof to back it up.

Martha did as much as you could expect her to do, I guess, it was a crapshoot for a person who had zero sports or executive experience. 

The crapshoot failed though, the people she put around her didn't pan out.  Rod Wood should be whispering in her ear to encourage her to move on from Quinn, who has clearly failed.  Maybe he has and cannot convince her (showing the dogged loyalty of her late husband), or maybe he doesn't even realize that he needs to (showing the historical inability of the Lions' FO under the Fords to recognize and adapt to situations on a timely basis).

We are where we are, and frankly I don't know how anyone could expect **anyone** at her age to (1) learn from the mistakes of others around them, and (2) pivot successfully at this point to evaluate, dismiss, and replace the key people and (3) evaluate and hold them accountable as well. 

If Martha could pull off an organizational turnaround plan, it would be the most amazing thing in the history of sports.

I think the only reasonable hope for success is that someone younger and more capable take the reins of the Franchise from an ownership standpoint and keep working to hire the right people in the right places to move it forward.

I give that about a 1:100 chance.  I get the sense that we are in for a long boring many-years haul of mediocrity/suckitude.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

or Hue Jackson.

I don't see what being white or black has to do with anything. Caldwell got roughly the same amount of rope that Schwartz had with similar results. Pulling the race card is weak when there's no proof to back it up.

Google “Black coaches fired quicker”   

There are many, many articles on the subject.   

FWIW, if we need “proof” to back up what we say now then might as well just shut down the site because there goes most of the discussions on here.   

38 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

FWIW, if we need “proof” to back up what we say now then might as well just shut down the site because there goes most of the discussions on here.   

here's the nyt article.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/sports/nfl-black-coaches-fired.amp.html

they cite as evidence four black coaches who were fired that day:

todd bowles, who went 13-34

marvin lewis, who had been there for 15 years and was coming off 3 straight losing seasons

vance joseph with two straight losing seasons in denver

and steve wilks, who just went 3-13.

and for good measure they toss in hue jackson, who went 3-36-1.

of the white coaches who were fired:

mike mccarthy, who is a super bowl winning coach who had been in gb since 2006 and had two losing seasons in a row.

dirk koetter in tampa bay who had one winning season followed by two losing seasons and was fired.

and adam gase in miami who had one winning season and two consecutive losing seasons and was fired.

the only one of the above referenced coaches who might have gotten a raw deal was wilks.  and he had the worst season in the league.  which seems to be evened out by hue jackson going 3 and flipping 36 before he was fired.

again, this is just a media creation that some folks who are predisposed to see discrimination behind every corner latch on to.  there is no real evidence to support it, which of course, never stopped the new york times before and will likely not hinder it in the future in pursuit of clicks.

57 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

If you're going to make a controversial statement that Lions ownership gives more rope to white management and coaches, you need to back it up with facts. The burden of proof is on you, not me.

If you say there are many articles citing coaching discrimination in todays' NFL or more specifically the Lions, lets see the links.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Martha did as much as you could expect her to do, I guess, it was a crapshoot for a person who had zero sports or executive experience. 

The crapshoot failed though, the people she put around her didn't pan out.  Rod Wood should be whispering in her ear to encourage her to move on from Quinn, who has clearly failed.  Maybe he has and cannot convince her (showing the dogged loyalty of her late husband), or maybe he doesn't even realize that he needs to (showing the historical inability of the Lions' FO under the Fords to recognize and adapt to situations on a timely basis).

We are where we are, and frankly I don't know how anyone could expect **anyone** at her age to (1) learn from the mistakes of others around them, and (2) pivot successfully at this point to evaluate, dismiss, and replace the key people and (3) evaluate and hold them accountable as well. 

If Martha could pull off an organizational turnaround plan, it would be the most amazing thing in the history of sports.

I think the only reasonable hope for success is that someone younger and more capable take the reins of the Franchise from an ownership standpoint and keep working to hire the right people in the right places to move it forward.

I give that about a 1:100 chance.  I get the sense that we are in for a long boring many-years haul of mediocrity/suckitude.

Or maybe the long haul of mediocrity results from changing schemes and coaches every four years. 

Unless you can get Nick Saban out of Alabama to coach, or, dare I say, Cris Collinsworth (with his expertise in analytics) out of the booth to serve as GM, changing the regime now is just a knee-jerk move. 

57 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Or maybe the long haul of mediocrity results from changing schemes and coaches every four years. 

Unless you can get Nick Saban out of Alabama to coach, or, dare I say, Cris Collinsworth (with his expertise in analytics) out of the booth to serve as GM, changing the regime now is just a knee-jerk move. 

Name one team in the lasy 20 years other than the Pats who has been able to sustain or replicate success sticking with the same HC for awhile.

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Tonight's OT win by Seattle over San Francisco is the best MNF I can remember.

Absolutely.  The only problems were Booger and the terrible officiating but both were expected.  

Amazing to watch what John Lynch has done with the 49'ers in a matter of two years and what Bob Quinn cannot do here. When you watch what an obviously superior roster San Francisco has and then you look at ours, it really makes you that much more hungry to get rid of Quinn.

19 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Amazing to watch what John Lynch has done with the 49'ers in a matter of two years and what Bob Quinn cannot do here. When you watch what an obviously superior roster San Francisco has and then you look at ours, it really makes you that much more hungry to get rid of Quinn.

You know, an better QB might all SF needs to bring home a SB. ....

...just sayin'

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

You know, an better QB might all SF needs to bring home a SB. ....

...just sayin'

If I was a 49'ers fan I would have certainly worried about the amount of cap space Jimmy G was taking when they initially traded for and signed him to that massive deal. When you pay a QB (or any player) 15-16-17-18% of your cap space you have to knock it out of the park with your draft and those you sign in free agency. The 49'ers have done so and we have not. They have a lot of good, young, cheap talent right now having drafted well these past two seasons. Also, what benefits them is that Kyle Shanahan is a far better coach than Rocket Man Patrica and his staff is better than Patricia's. It helps to have a coach who knows what he is doing and is willing to make adjustments to his scheme if something isn't working.

10 hours ago, sagnam said:

Steelers, Saints, Ravens, Seahawks, and Cowboys.

Also, Chiefs are pretty good with Andy Reid, as were the Eagles with him before. Colts under Tony Dungy for seven seasons (and in the eighth, Caldwell took them to SB). 

If Mrs. Ford decided to fire Quinn and Patricia at the end of the season, it wouldn't bother me a bit. They have done nothing to endear themselves to the fan base, and they act like they are a lot smarter than their on-field production demonstrates.

But I don't want them fired just for the sake of knee-jerk fans, and I don't want them fired only to start a new top-to-bottom search from scratch.

If you can get Saban as coach, you go get him. If you can get Collinsworth as GM, you go get him. Or if, through league circles, you've determined who your guy is, you go get him. 

Finally, if you think Patricia has lost the locker room, and Bevell can handle HC without losing control of the offense, you tell Quinn it's time for his guy to go.

If not, give Quinn one more season to build a roster for Patricia, and give Patricia one more season to execute.

If Martha determines that Quinn needs to be fired than neither she nor Rod Wood should be firing Patricia. That should be up to the next GM to decide Patrica's fate.

i would definitely NOT want nick saban to coach this team.  give me someone on the forefront of coaching, using new methods to win football games, not a guy who can recruit better than anyone else.  the talent is equal in the nfl and i suspect saban would fail just like he failed the first time.

plus saban would demand personnel control which would be a mistake, imo. 

Quintricia are on the Lynn Henning 10 year rebuild plan:

Patricia said again Monday that the Lions are still in the early stages of a building project — “Honestly, I think we’re whatever we are, 24, 25 games in. So, we have a long way to go.” — so how everything falls into place in 2020 looms larger than the difference between finishing 6-9-1 or 5-10-1 or whatever.

Pull the plug now. Get it over with. Start looking for the next chosen one. MP and BQ are lost.  

At risk of being deplorable again, I have to ask is Martha actually making decisions?

If so, how does everyone feel about a 94 year old with very limited experience in leadership or really any real work experience being in charge of making important decisions for the franchise?   

16 minutes ago, kdog said:

Quintricia are on the Lynn Henning 10 year rebuild plan:

When Caldwell was fired we were told by this regime, Quinn anyways, that 9-7 was not good enough. Now Patrica comes out and uses the "give us time" excuse? This is the NFL bro, guys get canned a lot quicker than you. Just look at Freddie Kitchens this season, they had pre-season playoff hype and now they are already talking about moving on. That is absolute BS nonsense for Patrica to say.