kdog

Lions at Bears 11/10

3 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Louis Riddick GM, and bring back Caldwell.   

Louis Riddick the guy that has been passed over for like 9 jobs? That's the answer?

6 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Louis Riddick the guy that has been passed over for like 9 jobs? That's the answer?

He hasn’t been passed over. He has turned down jobs. 

3 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

He hasn’t been passed over. He has turned down jobs. 

I see nothing at first glance on google search when I looked up "Louis Riddick turned down."

I see about a million of "Louis Riddick interviewed" and was not given one of those jobs. 

So again I ask. The guy on TV who has interviewed for a third of the jobs in the league (and either turned them down or wasn't hire) and the owners went with someone else, that is our answer?

Watching packers game, Kyle Allen viciously face masked on 3rd down.   Refs don’t throw the flag against GB.  However, they were able to find a holding penalty against Carolina.  Threw that flag.  

The amount of favorable calls that go to GB is truly remarkable. They get a different set of rules.  

9 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I see nothing at first glance on google search when I looked up "Louis Riddick turned down."

I see about a million of "Louis Riddick interviewed" and was not given one of those jobs. 

So again I ask. The guy on TV who has interviewed for a third of the jobs in the league (and either turned them down or wasn't hire) and the owners went with someone else, that is our answer?

Yes.  That’s my answer.  Before we hired Quinn that’s who I wanted too.  Guy gets it. 

4 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Yes.  That’s my answer.  Before we hired Quinn that’s who I wanted too.  Guy gets it. 

4 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

He does have championship experience, at least if you count the World Bowl.

13 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Hey more power too you. But, I'm gonna guess the guy that got passed over for a TV guy with no experience, as well as 8 other jobs, is probably not the answer

1 minute ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Hey more power too you. But, I'm gonna guess the guy that got passed over for a TV guy with no experience, as well as 8 other jobs, is probably not the answer

Who is though?  The Lions hired a guy that was successful under Belichick (there has been a lot of those guys) and had years of experience in the front office.  That guy has been a failure thus far.  Why not try Riddick?  Or someone like him. 

The 9ers went with John Lynch, who was in the booth, that’s worked out well.  

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Unless you have another candidate in mind who is a clear upgrade over Quinn, I think you have to give him one more season, and a third season to Patricia. 

But if you’re Rod Wood, you better start thinking about who is out there. 

you mean me as a fan? i dont have the names of other potential gm candidates but im sure they are out there.

do i trust ron freaking wood to be able to find them?  no i dont.

but i do know quinn has been here four years and the lions are still bad despite having the one thing you have to have to succeed in the nfl: a good qb.  why should i think that the light will suddenly go on in year 5?  that after four years of spending money and four years of drafting he'll suddenly get better?

if the lions were starting from 0-16 and gradually improving year by year, then sure.  but this is quinn's vision.  this team is what he's built with his coach.  this is it.

i would even give him a pass for last year with the bull**** "were building a culture and need time" excuse.  how ling does that take? two years?  three years?  and if that was an issue when you got here, you should have torn it down immediately instead of waiting two years.

unless they make a playoff run this year he should be fired, imo.  

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

its the nfl.  you can go from mediocre to good very quickly with a good qb and some minor moves.

instead, the lions have gone backwards every year under quinn, with a franchise qb and some major moves.  

time to move on.

what the lions organziation has done is nearly impossible to achieve in todays NFL. they've managed  to stay s****y for decades in a league where relatively quick turnarounds is attainable.  

Has there ever been a Bellichick assistant who hasn’t gone on and mucked it up as a head coach for any length of time?

Outside of Al Groh who had one winning season with the Jets before jumping to UVa, I can’t find one

6 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Has there ever been a Bellichick assistant who hasn’t gone on and mucked it up as a head coach for any length of time?

Outside of Al Groh who had one winning season with the Jets before jumping to UVa, I can’t find one

Bill O'Brien had winning seasons at Penn State while they had all their sanctions and has made the playoffs 3 out of five years in the NFL

From the Browns you have Saban and Ferentz

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

Hire Chris Spielman for....something. He could help build a team. Yeah, a TV and former player again.

Funny thing is that Spielman is a guy that would probably work hard enough to be successful but I wonder if he has the ego to ever try to persuade an owner he's GM material.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

what does being white have to do with it?  

Everyone gets fired in the NFL. The color of your skin doesn’t change that but being white has been shown to buy you a little more time than if you were black.  

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Everyone gets fired in the NFL. The color of your skin doesn’t change that but being white has been shown to buy you a little more time than if you were black.  

how has that been shown?

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

you mean me as a fan? i dont have the names of other potential gm candidates but im sure they are out there.

do i trust ron freaking wood to be able to find them?  no i dont.

but i do know quinn has been here four years and the lions are still bad despite having the one thing you have to have to succeed in the nfl: a good qb.  why should i think that the light will suddenly go on in year 5?  that after four years of spending money and four years of drafting he'll suddenly get better?

if the lions were starting from 0-16 and gradually improving year by year, then sure.  but this is quinn's vision.  this team is what he's built with his coach.  this is it.

i would even give him a pass for last year with the bull**** "were building a culture and need time" excuse.  how ling does that take? two years?  three years?  and if that was an issue when you got here, you should have torn it down immediately instead of waiting two years.

unless they make a playoff run this year he should be fired, imo.  

Sorry, I meant unless Mrs. Ford/Rod Wood are sitting on the name of a clear upgrade over Quinn, they ought to give him one more year. 

I nod my head at everything you say. OTOH, they did start the season with a rash of injuries on DL, and they are two or three awful Lionesque penalties away from being 5-3-1. 

If Quinn gets fired, nobody will rush to his defense. But do we have any reason to believe the replacement would be any better? If so, sign me up. But I just don’t know who it would be. 

31 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

like mike tomlin?

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

or marvin lewis.

Marvin Lewis skews the data. He should have been fired four times. 

If Rod Wood has been involved in making football decisions than he needs to be fired too. We were told when Rod was hired that unlike his predecessor Tom Lewand, he would not be involved in football decisions. On the subject of Quinn and Patrica, it is likely time to fire Quinn and Quinn only, though I would not be outraged if he got one final season. It should be up to the next GM and the next GM only to determine Patrica's future. We should be working with the NFL and league officials to hire our next GM. The NFL has a search committee that can suggest names and assist in the hiring process. Whoever we do hire, no more Patriot connections.

27 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Rod Wood has been involved in making football decisions than he needs to be fired too. We were told when Rod was hired that unlike his predecessor Tom Lewand, he would not be involved in football decisions. On the subject of Quinn and Patrica, it is likely time to fire Quinn and Quinn only, though I would not be outraged if he got one final season. It should be up to the next GM and the next GM only to determine Patrica's future. We should be working with the NFL and league officials to hire our next GM. The NFL has a search committee that can suggest names and assist in the hiring process. Whoever we do hire, no more Patriot connections.

I don't understand what Ron Wood does.  His "management search" entails him calling Ernie Accorsi and asking for names.  So Ernie gives him the names of his friends and they say "don't know, ask Belicheck" who then gives him the name of someone in the Pats organization.

And that's how our "worldwide search" gets conducted.  And it will be the same thing next time too.

54 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Marvin Lewis skews the data. He should have been fired four times. 

Or Lovie Smith.

I don't believe black head coaches get fired quicker or for nefarious reasons any more than white coaches do.

They used to just not hire black coaches at all, but that's no longer the case.  But now they don't get fired quicker or more easily than any other coaches.