davidsb

2020 Modern Baseball Era Ballot Announced

Lou actually had a slightly higher career ops and was a better defender. Simmons had 4 more home runs and about 100 more hits. I give Lou the slight nod but he was behind Dewey Evans and Dave Parker. I don't think Lou is getting in

3 minutes ago, leflore said:

Lou actually had a slightly higher career ops and was a better defender. Simmons had 4 more home runs and about 100 more hits. I give Lou the slight nod but he was behind Dewey Evans and Dave Parker. I don't think Lou is getting in

Simmons got knocked off the ballot his first year just like Whitaker.  He was always underappreciated.  Maybe it was just "his turn" this time.  There is still a chance for Lou.  

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:
@TBTimes_Rays
· 7m
Results from @baseballhall committee voting, 12 needed for election: Ted Simmons, 13; Marvin Miller, 12; Dwight Evans, 8; Dave Parker, 7; Steve Garvey, 6; Lou Whitaker, 6. Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Thurman Munson and Dale Murphy each received 3 or fewer.

This is unreal.   The fact that Lou didn’t make it is one thing but being behind Parker and Garvey is a ducking joke.  

Just now, Hongbit said:

This is unreal.   The fact that Lou didn’t make it is one thing but being behind Parker and Garvey is a ducking joke.  

Especially Garvey.  He shouldn't even have been on the ballot.  

• Like 1

He has a solid shot, I suppose, with a new batch of voters in a few years.  Maybe a good chance that either Tram or Morris will be on the committee and can help make the case.

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Especially Garvey.  He shouldn't even have been on the ballot.  

garvey won an mvp, waa runner up another time, and top 10 3 more times. garvey led the league in hits a couple times.

whitaker never had a top 5 mvp season.  he was top 10 once.  never led the league in anything.

that type of **** matters.  whitaker will always be seen as a good player for a long time.  no peak.

and i dont think garvey should be anywhere near the hof.  he's like jack morris.  all rep.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:
4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

garvey won an mvp, waa runner up another time, and top 10 3 more times. garvey led the league in hits a couple times.

whitaker never had a top 5 mvp season.  he was top 10 once.  never led the league in anything.

that type of **** matters.  whitaker will always be seen as a good player for a long time.  no peak.

and i dont think garvey should be anywhere near the hof.  he's like jack morris.  all rep.

I grew up in that era, so I know how Garvey was viewed.  He finished high in MVP voting, but he should not have.  I always thought he was way overrated.  He was a contact hitting first baseman with modest power.  A first baseman with a lifetime OPS+ of 117 (same as Whitaker)?  No thanks.   

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I grew up in that era, so I know how Garvey was viewed.  He finished high in MVP voting, but he should not have.  I always thought he was way overrated.  He was a contact hitting first baseman with modest power.  A first baseman with a lifetime OPS+ of 117 (same as Whitaker)?  No thanks.   

i agree with you but youre talking about stupid sportswriters.

15 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i agree with you but youre talking about stupid sportswriters.

You can't blame the sportswriters this time.  It was players, executives and historians.   

23 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

You can't blame the sportswriters this time.  It was players, executives and historians.   

They voted the way boozy relics of obsolete thinking usually do. 

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Garvey this close to the Hall of Fame? Where would it end. Boog Powell (134 OPS+) and Norm Cash (139 OPS +) for starters have a stronger claim, especially Cash and his 52 WAR.

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Yeah  - Garvey was fortunate to be the most polished media presence of a very good team that didn't have a lot in the way of other player voices competing in the Anglo media market. He was able to bask in the media glow for the whole team. 

He had a very straight hair part. And popeye forearms. But I don't think those are things that matter in HOF voting. Maybe it does. If so, then Cash's table leg stunt and Bevacqua winning the bubble blowing contest should count for something

I was out with a friend last night so I didn't get to react the way I normally would have....

Having slept on it I don't think this in any way means Lou won't get in.  He'll be on the next ballot and voted in.  Since this was his first time on this ballot they had to take care of business with Simmons and MIller.  Simmons fell one vote short last time.  And they don't want to elect too many guys. Now that those holdovers like had a few chances the next group won't consider them and will rally around Lou.   I suspect the committee got together and decided that they'll do the horse trading to get Miller and Simmons their votes then the rest just did what they want.  If Lou had 11 votes one of those Parker or Garvey votes would have went to Lou but once they were all under 10 votes it was meaningless.

That's my impression.  

Still very bummed.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I was out with a friend last night so I didn't get to react the way I normally would have....

Having slept on it I don't think this in any way means Lou won't get in.  He'll be on the next ballot and voted in.  Since this was his first time on this ballot they had to take care of business with Simmons and MIller.  Simmons fell one vote short last time.  And they don't want to elect too many guys. Now that those holdovers like had a few chances the next group won't consider them and will rally around Lou.   I suspect the committee got together and decided that they'll do the horse trading to get Miller and Simmons their votes then the rest just did what they want.  If Lou had 11 votes one of those Parker or Garvey votes would have went to Lou but once they were all under 10 votes it was meaningless.

That's my impression.  

Still very bummed.  

Interesting. I didn’t think about the voting that way and that makes a lot of sense.  

Lou won't be on the next ballot. Has to wait 3 years in between. And if that's the case with Simmons, then wouldn't that mean Evans and Parker go in next, being that they got more votes than Lou? Also Garvey tied Lou.

38 minutes ago, leflore said:

Lou won't be on the next ballot. Has to wait 3 years in between. And if that's the case with Simmons, then wouldn't that mean Evans and Parker go in next, being that they got more votes than Lou? Also Garvey tied Lou.

He'll be on the next ballot that deals with this era... Evans and Parker won't get in.  

I doubt Parker will get in.  He wasn't good enough and he won't get bainesed because he had character issues.  I think Evans has a good shot.  

If it's different voters every time, I'm not sure it matters how many votes they received this time around.  The next group might see things differently.

On 12/6/2019 at 3:37 PM, Shelton said:

I hope Lou doesn’t get in. 

I hope you feel good about yourself now.