davidsb

2020 Modern Baseball Era Ballot Announced

52 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Illinoyz 

ELL-anoyz is even worse.

7 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

We Canadians pronounce everything correctly.

Wee Cana dianes pranunce evryting cerractily.

12 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Yeah, but youu guys spell wourds soumething awful.

12 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

It's tree to tree in the terd period.  Dee-troy-it needs to step it up now, that's fer sure.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It's tree to tree in the terd period.  Dee-troy-it needs to step it up now, that's fer sure.

In a musty old hall in Dee-troy-it they prayed

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 10:51 AM, IdahoBert said:

Woor-sheeng-tun

Nuke-you-lure

Ee-legal

It's ill-egal.  Gains acquired illegally are ill-gotten.  It is ill-advised to say ee-legal, and if you do I will become ill--tempered.

I

• Like 1

None of these guys really deserve it.  But since it is the "Hall of Good Players and Players that had a Long Career," a bunch of these guys will probably get in.  

I can almost see Don Mattingly getting elected.  They will say it's his time or something lame like that.

It's not that I don't think Lou is on a par with some of the other 2nd basemen in the HOF.  I just don't think those guys deserve to be in the HOF either.

It should be for the great players, not guys like Phil Niekro or Jack Morris who just hung around for 20 years and were average to slightly above average for most of their career.

I don't get the whole process.  You can't vote for a guy because you don't believe he is a HOFer for the first 14 years but suddenly 15 years later and after a PR campaign to get Edgar Martinez in, the voters now decide he is a Hall of Famer.  If he's not a first ballot HOFer then he shouldn't be in the HOF ever.  And the unanimous selection stuff?  If you didn't vote for a guy like Greg Maddux, you should lose your voting privileges.  It's a joke.  Harold Baines is a HOFer yet Barry Bonds is not.  Yea, he used steroids but he still accomplished what he did on the field.  MLB embraced steroids and looked the other way while they were being used.  How can you blame the players for taking them when MLB did nothing about it; in order to keep up with the Sosa's or McGwire's of the world, a player had to take them.  If a guy didn't use them then his career was pretty much over.

I like the size of the Hall of Fame as it is.  There have been some mistakes, but not enough to ruin it in my opinion.  It is all pretty arbitrary, but I don't think the HoF would be as much fun to visit if there was just a small number of players it.  What I like most about it is we get to talk about who belongs every year.  I love baseball history and enjoy looking back at and discussing players from the past and the HoF votes makes that happen every year.  

I lean toward a smaller HoF but it's not a huge deal to me. Seems like perhaps there should be tiers to distinguish between Walter Johnson and Jack Morris. The HoF isn't really a place to honor the elite of the elite. They get lumped in with those who were very good and had longevity. But again, no skin off my behind

Take this for what it’s worth, but the panel on MLB Now just did a mock vote of the modern era ballot, four of them voting for up to four guys and only those guys to get at least three votes go in. As you can see, Lou Whitaker got a single vote, while Steve Garvey got to.

24D07F85-E3DB-415A-95DA-9BC8495C9757.thumb.jpeg.dd21c7e55588c3e46e38fdf984b4ff34.jpeg

Those mock ballots are not worth much, but I am not that optimistic that Whitaker makes it.  There has been a push to get Whitaker into the HoF in recent years, but that has largely been from the sabermetric community.  They have more influence on the HoF voting than they used to but I don't know if it will be enough.  I think he'll get a decent number of votes, but I fear he will fall short.  

There are approximately 17,200 Hall-eligible players in major league history and 230 players are in the Hall, inducted as players. That's the top 1.34% of all players in history, or about four Hall of Famers for every 300 players in history.

At that rate, of the roughly 2,500 players who are either still active or retired but not yet eligible, about 33 of them will eventually be inducted into the Hall. That also means that of the 1,282 who stepped onto the field at any point during the 2019 season, roughly 17 of them will be inducted.

Numerically speaking, that all seems about right to me.

• Like 1

Dale Murphy on three ballots.  Can't argue it.  Sweet Lou might not be as sure a thing as I thought.  Of course, former players might have a different perspective than the MLB.TV talking heads.