Jump to content

davidsb

2020 Modern Baseball Era Ballot Announced

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, leflore said:

I wonder how Russia will influence the vote

Fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

Like, through what means, or to what effect?

Yes.  Probably with some red headed female.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oblong said:

Yes that's true... but they all get to talk about it first and convince each other.  That allows for guys to sort of rank their votes and to ensure that someone doesn't vote for 4 "other" guys because they assume another one will be on everyone else's ballot so they leave him off theirs.

 

Oh .. you mean 'collusion'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, he means discussion.

I don't think this would qualify as, 'secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never said 'conspiracy'. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

No, he means discussion.

I don't think this would qualify as, 'secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.'

I stand corrected.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do people stand corrected? I'm usually sitting when I type. Not always but usually

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if eBay is any indicator, baseball card collectors seem to like Lou's chances.  His autographed baseball cards have gone up in value since the shortlist was announced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

personally, I like that he stands when being corrected.  Seems more respectful.

Respectfully sitting down now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice! Personally I would have elected Lou in before Morris. Maybe Lolich as well. Would be great to see all of them get in. And Freehan who was an 11 time all-star, won 5 gg's and received MVP votes 6 times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too think lou was more deserving but they didn’t weren’t going to ignore his BBWAA percentages.   That’s why he wasn’t on the ballot 2 years ago.  They want to give those guys a shot first 

when is Leyland eligible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, leflore said:

Why do people stand corrected? I'm usually sitting when I type. Not always but usually

This reminds me of some lines in a Marx Brothers movie.

Chico: I think we should have a standing army?

Groucho: Why should we have a standing army?

Chico: That way, we will save on chairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HeyAbbott said:

This reminds me of some lines in a Marx Brothers movie.

Chico: I think we should have a standing army?

Groucho: Why should we have a standing army?

Chico: That way, we will save on chairs.

I love it! I supervise a team of social workers and sometimes my sense of humor drives them nuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

personally, I like that he stands when being corrected.  Seems more respectful.

But when you accidentally jam the photocopier you need to go all out.

maxresdefault.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 10:03 AM, Tenacious D said:

Secretly taken at last year’s vote

 

3C63B1A1-A651-4C00-A3D0-EF918584A2EF.jpeg

Didn't catch this earlier. 12 Angry Men. Very nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unpopular opinion: whitaker's career of being good to very good but never great does not warrant a ticket to cooperstown.

/ducks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Lou is borderline from how I personally view the HOF but imho with middle infielders like Mazeroski and Aparicio already in, how do you keep Lou out? I'd place Lou above them. Maybe develop tiers in the hall? It's definitely getting watered down with guys like Baines imho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Buddha said:

unpopular opinion: whitaker's career of being good to very good but never great does not warrant a ticket to cooperstown.

/ducks

Being consistently good to very good for 19 years is a rare thing.  

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, leflore said:

I think Lou is borderline from how I personally view the HOF but imho with middle infielders like Mazeroski and Aparicio already in, how do you keep Lou out? I'd place Lou above them. Maybe develop tiers in the hall? It's definitely getting watered down with guys like Baines imho. 

There are 20 Hall of Fame second basemen.  Whitaker is not in the top five of that group, but he's not in the botton five either.  He falls somewhere in the middle and that makes him worthy.  He is clearly more worthy than

Mazeroski

Fox

Schoendienst

Evers

McPhee

Herman

Lazzeri

Doerr

You can make some arguments on some others too depending how much you value career versus peak.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you are allowed four votes?

There's five that are worthy, imo:

  • Whitaker
  • Simmons
  • Munson
  • Evans
  • Miller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Being consistently good to very good for 19 years is a rare thing.  

true, but i would argue it doesnt make you elite.

all depends on what your standards for the hall of fame are.  if youre a big hall guy, or someone who values longevity a lot, then i can see whitaker.  if youre someone who thinks the hall is only for players who were elite for a period of time - only for the very best - then i dont think whitaker makes the cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,729
    • Total Posts
      2,932,970
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...