davidsb

2020 Modern Baseball Era Ballot Announced

So there is a 16 member committee voting on these 10 and each individual needs 75% to be elected, or 12 of the 16 members. The only information I cant find is how many people each member gets to vote for. Anyone know? I'm guessing each member votes for just 2 or 3, maybe 4.

https://www.mlb.com/news/10-players-named-to-hof-modern-baseball-era-ballot

16 minutes ago, JackPine said:

So there is a 16 member committee voting on these 10 and each individual needs 75% to be elected, or 12 of the 16 members. The only information I cant find is how many people each member gets to vote for. Anyone know? I'm guessing each member votes for just 2 or 3, maybe 4.

I don't think they submit ballots and then they get counted... I think the members actually get together and hash it out then vote.  I could be wrong.

They deliberately don't announce the voting members until just prior to them meeting because they want to do away with campaigning/appealing directly to the group.

22 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I don't think they submit ballots and then they get counted... I think the members actually get together and hash it out then vote.  I could be wrong.

They deliberately don't announce the voting members until just prior to them meeting because they want to do away with campaigning/appealing directly to the group.

Technically then  ..the quorum could induct all of them, none of them, or any number of them in between.

Sounds reasonable enough.

4 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Technically then  ..the quorum could induct all of them, none of them, or any number of them in between.

Sounds reasonable enough.

Yes.  I think that's the whole point of a committee versus just 16 voters.  Otherwise why not 32?  Or 50?  If you are just going to count up ballots.  Put some smart people in a room and let them talk it over.  

I have a hard time thinking the last year's group just randomly selected Harold Baines via one ballot.  It's just a jury.

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Lou should be a slam dunk.

Sure seems like he will be based on the twitter chatter.... he seems to be the one guy mentioned by everyone...

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Sounds like Baines was a function of this opening the door to groupthink and LaRussa's bullying.

14 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Sounds like Baines was a function of this opening the door to groupthink and LaRussa's bullying.

"Ah ****... let's just do it and get out of here and have a beer so Tony will shut up"

45 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

and reinsdorf.

45 minutes ago, Oblong said:

"Ah ****... let's just do it and get out of here and have a beer so Tony will shut up"

Pound that Budweiser

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Garvey was the kind of player that was valued too much back in the 70s (high BA, not a lot of walks, moderate power at 1B) but would not valued so high today.  

A guy that lived near me in Tucson, Arizona in 1985 said he himself — a lifelong true one-sport baseball player — didn’t make the baseball team at George D. Chamberlain High School in Tampa because the baseball coach was also the football coach and he only wanted football or multi-sport players on the team, and that Garvey bumped him from the squad  

He was quite fervent, even emotional, about how Garvey sucked and how he himself ended up not getting the recognition he deserved which fell into Garvey’s lap fait accompli.

The guy may have exaggerated his own athleticism but he was so insistent about this that I’ve always assumed it was true and that he did indeed not make the team Garvey was on at the very least. 

• Like 1

Garvey was a Spartan and the father to many children, some of which he is aware of.  Those are HOF qualities to me.

20 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Wilder than I even remember.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-09-24-tm-88-story.html

And 17 years after that, this story makes him out to be an even bigger douche.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2006-apr-09-me-garvey9-story.html

Ha ha ha, he is such a douchebag.  I didn't know about the stuff in the second article.

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Garvey was a Spartan and the father to many children, some of which he is aware of.  Those are HOF qualities to me.

a spartan who had some moral failings and preached a good game while being kind of a hypocritical **** in real life?

you dont say...i bet that never happens anymore...

47 minutes ago, Buddha said:

a spartan who had some moral failings and preached a good game while being kind of a hypocritical **** in real life?

you dont say...i bet that never happens anymore...

Lighten up, Francis.  It was a joke.

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Lighten up, Francis.  It was a joke.

so was mine, francis.  :)

On 11/5/2019 at 4:34 PM, Tenacious D said:

Steve Garvey is not my Padre.

He has really straight hair. Should be worth half a vote. That's about it though. Wasn't he on the Love Boat or Fantasy Island or one a dem shows? That's a full vote.

He also liked to peek back at the catcher to see the sign

Ron Cey nicknamed him “pee-pee hands” because he would never wash them after taking a whiz.  Actually, it might have been Steve Yeager.

Went to MSU and was on Fantasy Island. You guys are dissing on him too hard

On 11/5/2019 at 1:33 PM, JackPine said:

Holly Horning from the Totally Tigers blog writes that each of the 16 members may vote for up-to-a-maximum of four players each.  This means that a minimum of 12 of the 16 voters must include Whitaker as one of their four votes. 

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2019/11/06/it-starts-at-home/#comments

5 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Holly Horning from the Totally Tigers blog writes that each of the 16 members may vote for up-to-a-maximum of four players each.  This means that a minimum of 12 of the 16 voters must include Whitaker as one of their four votes. 

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2019/11/06/it-starts-at-home/#comments

Yes that's true... but they all get to talk about it first and convince each other.  That allows for guys to sort of rank their votes and to ensure that someone doesn't vote for 4 "other" guys because they assume another one will be on everyone else's ballot so they leave him off theirs.