davidsb

2020 Modern Baseball Era Ballot Announced

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Shelton loves it

Can’t get enough of this hall of fame talk. Keep it coming. 

I wonder, too, how respected Lou was among his peers?  Always a bit odd and aloof, I recall times when he really didn't bust it down to 1B on a ball hit to the infield.

If/when he does get in, I guarantee it will be a memorable speech for it's awkwardness.

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

Wasn't here an All-Star game where he forgot to bring a uniform (or else the team forgot or neglected to send one along ahead of him), and they had to buy a jersey at the pro shop in the stadium and they had to magic marker his number onto it? Or something equally apocryphal sounding?

yup.

i remember as a kid growing up in detroit, the jehovahs witnesses would show up at the door to tell me about the good news and i would answer the door in the hopes that lou whitaker would be in the group.

he never was.  all i got out of it was a lifetime supply of the watchtower.

thanks lou!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

i remember as a kid growing up in detroit, the jehovahs witnesses would show up at the door to tell me about the good news and i would answer the door in the hopes that lou whitaker would be in the group.

he never was.  all i got out of it was a lifetime supply of the watchtower.

thanks lou!

I laughed audibly.  Post of the day.

I don't think Lou is a Jehovah anymore... He got divorced a few years ago and since then he's been more accessible.  Not saying it's the wife's fault or anything but... you know.

17 hours ago, chasfh said:

Wasn't here an All-Star game where he forgot to bring a uniform (or else the team forgot or neglected to send one along ahead of him), and they had to buy a jersey at the pro shop in the stadium and they had to magic marker his number onto it? Or something equally apocryphal sounding?

lou-whitaker.jpg

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/2011/07/22/how-lou-whitakers-forgetfulness-landed-him-in-the-smithsonian/

“I left my bag in the backseat of my Mercedes, isn’t that a shame?” Whitaker announced on the day of the game.

With only hours to go, Whitaker and the clubhouse boys for the Twins were forced to scramble. Lou had packed his socks and uniform pants in his suitcase with his clothes, but he didn’t have a cap, helmet, glove, spikes, or batting gloves.

His All-Star teammates stepped up to help: Cleveland pitcher Bert Blyleven let Whitaker wear his helmet; Baltimore’s Cal Ripken Jr. had an extra glove; Damaso Garcia of the Blue Jays came through with batting gloves. A clubhouse attendant bought an adjustable Tiger cap and a jersey from a souvenir stand at the Metrodome. The problem was that it was a generic Tigers jersey – there was no number or name on the back. A clubhouse attendant took a black marker and wrote in Sweet Lou’s #1 using a stencil.

With his makeshift uniform and gear, Whitaker was ready for the Midsummer Classic. He started at second and went 0-for-2, flying to right in each of his at-bats. He handled his fielding plays perfectly and was removed from the game by All-Star manager Sparky Anderson in the sixth inning.

And what happened to the jersey that Sweet Lou wore in that ’85 All-Star Game? The Smithsonian in Washington D.C. was so intrigued by his case of forgetfullness that they requested the garment. Whitaker obliged, and the jersey that he wore only once is still in their collection today.

• Like 1

So he's not in Cooperstown, but he is in the Smithsonian. Not a bad consolation prize if you ask me. And if you don't want to ask me, bite me. Or send me some grape taffy.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I don't think Lou is a Jehovah anymore... He got divorced a few years ago and since then he's been more accessible.  Not saying it's the wife's fault or anything but... you know.

If I’m not mistaken, he was living in Greensboro, NC recently.

1 minute ago, leflore said:

So he's not in Cooperstown, but he is in the Smithsonian. Not a bad consolation prize if you ask me. And if you don't want to ask me, bite me. Or send me some grape taffy.

How about some of Keepleyland’s left over cake?

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

its wet, its been left out in the rain.

That's ok, I'll tell folks it's now quattro leche

I personally can't wait until we have to endure the next several months of the Derek Jeter lovefest....potentially another unanimous yankee inductee...he of the 72.4 WAR vs. Lou's 75.1 WAR. 

I do believe that other than George Brett, Lou probably wasn't overly liked by the guys on that committee. To only get 6 votes in total and with Dombrowski on the committee, it stands to reason that not all the former players voted for him. That's disappointing. There could have been a "too many tigers" effect going on due to Tram and Jack last year, but that is a pretty lame excuse if that's what it was. I don't remember anything that was remarkable about Ted Simmons. Steady career for sure, but never in a world series, much less won one, and had no real awards to speak of at all. And his WAR is absolutely pathetic, but so is harold baines'. These Era committees were supposed to solve the issues and injustices created by the writers, not create new issues. They seemed to create controversy now by keeping Lou out. There was alot of buzz about it nationally, and has been noted, not all those folks are tiger fans.

I saw something recently that noted that lou had a 3 year offer as a free agent at the end of his career to go to the Braves but he declined it. That would have gotten him back to the post season and probably a better shot at the hall. 

Simmons' WAR was not pathetic.  Catchers don't accumulate a lot of WAR because they don't play as many games or last as many games as other players.  Simmons has the 10th highest WAR among catchers all time.   Simmons belongs in the Hall of Fame.  Whitaker does too.