davidsb

2020 Modern Baseball Era Ballot Announced

Lou is the highlight of the ballot with a bunch of leftovers from previous ballots.  Will announce results December 8th.  Time for another trip to Cooperstown next summer............

Guess I am late to the party, being discussed on another thread. Sorry.

Dwight Evans, BOS/BAL RF, 1972-1991

Steve Garvey, LAD/SDP 1B, 1969-1987

Tommy John, NYY/CHW/LAD/CAL/CLE/OAK SP, 1963-1989

Don Mattingly, NYY 1B, 1982-1995

Marvin Miller, Exec. director of MLB Players Association, 1966-1982

Thurman Munson, NYY C, 1969-1979

Dale Murphy, ATL/PHI/COL OF, 1976-1993

Dave Parker, PIT/CIN/OAK/MIL/CAL/TOR RF, 1973-1991

Ted Simmons, STL/MIL/ATL C, 1968-1988

Lou Whitaker, DET 2B, 1977-1995

6 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Who is the worst player on that list?  I think it's Garvey, isn't it?

HOF candidates by rWAR; Lou Whitaker 75.1 Dwight Evans 67.1 Tommy John 61.5 Ted Simmons 50.3 Dale Murphy 46.5 Thurman Munson 46.1 Don Mattingly 42.4 Dave Parker 40.1 Steve Garvey 38.1

38 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Who is the worst player on that list?  I think it's Garvey, isn't it?

I'd vote Tommy John as the least.

32 minutes ago, lordstanley said:
HOF candidates by rWAR; Lou Whitaker 75.1 Dwight Evans 67.1 Tommy John 61.5 Ted Simmons 50.3 Dale Murphy 46.5 Thurman Munson 46.1 Don Mattingly 42.4 Dave Parker 40.1 Steve Garvey 38.1

What?  No WAR for Marvin?

• Like 1

Garvey was the kind of player that was valued too much back in the 70s (high BA, not a lot of walks, moderate power at 1B) but would not valued so high today.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

I'd vote Tommy John as the least.

I can easily see John getting in, based on his longevity, his "fame" in having a widely used medical procedure that is very important to baseball named after him, and the fact that Jack Morris's induction has lowered the bar for pitchers almost to sea level.  Compared to Morris, John had a much longer career, has 34 more wins and a much lower ERA, and, perhaps more important, has a much higher WAR  (and a higher Average WAR Per Year) and a significantly higher OPS+ (okay, who doesn't?).

John also has more wins than any other Modern-Era  pitcher who is not in the Hall of Fame, with the exception of Roger Clemens.

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

What?  No WAR for Marvin?

Marvin only is being considered because of the things he did in his capacity of the head of the player's union.

I think you could make a case for John given his fame and given who is in there.  I wouldn't put him in there, but he is not that far off.

54 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Garvey was the kind of player that was valued too much back in the 70s (high BA, not a lot of walks, moderate power at 1B) but would not valued so high today.  

Writers and reporters loved Garvey because of his clean-cut image, which is pretty funny in hindsight.

1 minute ago, cruzer1 said:

Dewey has a HOF arm.  So does Lou.

They did have great arms.  So did Dave Parker.  Of course, if that were enough, Brandon Inge and Aurelio Rodriguez would probably  be ahead of them on the race to Cooperstown.  But Whitaker and Evans do have a few other things on their resumes.

Hopefully it won’t be the same committee members who gave us Harold Baines

2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Writers and reporters loved Garvey because of his clean-cut image, which is pretty funny in hindsight.

Wilder than I even remember.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-09-24-tm-88-story.html

And 17 years after that, this story makes him out to be an even bigger douche.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2006-apr-09-me-garvey9-story.html

39 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

They did have great arms.  So did Dave Parker.  Of course, if that were enough, Brandon Inge and Aurelio Rodriguez would probably  be ahead of them on the race to Cooperstown.  But Whitaker and Evans do have a few other things on their resumes.

Inge had a cannon but he was a little too wild with it to rate as elite for me. He tended to 20 errors/season at 3rd, and it was mostly throws. Of course part it was that there were times he should have just eaten the ball after a long run or dive for a ball that he managed to field, but didn't take/have time to set up a catchable throw to 1st.

52 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Hopefully it won’t be the same committee members who gave us Harold Baines

It will be different.  They will pick it later in the fall.  They vote at the winter meetings 

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yeah, Garvey couldn't hold John's jock.

At least .. not until you let go of it.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Marvin only is being considered because of the things he did in his capacity of the head of the player's union.

Obviously...

Marvin Miller never declared free agency from his wife - instead was married to her for 70 years!

Once Lou gets in, it will be awhile before Cabby, Verlander and Scherzer (who will be a National).  At least 10 years likely, for each, and that assumes they are first or second ballot.