Mr.TaterSalad

11/3/19 Lions at Raiders

26 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Yeah, that’s not good for your best defensive player to be calling out the coaching. 

Yes, it is. It makes the people who think the problem is with the talent level and not the coaching to take notice.  Yes, there is a talent issue but 31st defense in the league? No way, that is all coaching. Bend, but don't break. The entire game, all the way down the field. Over and over.

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

A really good coach will take average players, come up with a scheme and have success. The Lions have some decent pieces on defense, just no coach with a scheme to get the most out of them. Getting burned on a blitz? That doesn't mean you should never blitz again,  that's a losers mentality. Give any NFL QB enough time in the pocket and a receiver will get open. Or have to hold, it's all the scheme and not the players. 

You don't have to sell me on this, I agree with you completely. It's Motown Bombers who thinks that the Lions have a lack of talent and that the coaching is fine. 

As I said before, they've invested a ton into building this defense so the expectations should be raised as a result. The fact that they are 31st in the league with all that capital invested is on the coaches. The eye test and the results both show a defense that's way too passive and disorganized. Again, that's coaching. I've seen less talented defenses work as a cohesive unit. Communication has been a problem with this unit since the preseason and you rarely see stunts, switching etc, to confuse the opponent. A lot of blame for that lies on the coaches. The few times the Lions adjusted on the fly was when they dropped a few guys into coverage at the last minute after showing blitz against the Raiders, they were successful. I don't see enough of that and the league has figured it out. 

Honestly, with all the offseason additions and a full season of Snacks, did anybody in their right mind think this would be the worst defense in the league? I think most people agreed that the defense would be the team strength especially up front and they've been getting shredded all season. A few injuries haven't helped the situation but there was supposed to be all this depth to overcome it and either the players are vastly overrated or the coaches aren't getting enough out of them. I'm thinking it's more the latter than the former.

The defense isn't good by any means and I'm not trying to sugar coat but just looking at total yards or points allowed is kinda a lazy way to look at it and doesn't tell the whole story.  The advanced metrics point to us being better than 2nd to last(while still not good mind you). Our DVOA is 23rd but it's essentially in the same tier as playoff teams like Houston, Seattle, Dallas and Baltimore, so it's not like we are just head and shoulders worse than everybody else.  The defense is essentially the same as half the playoff teams. 

Also just looking at stats like yards per play, we're not any worse than the Packers, Seahawks or a number of other playoff teams, it's just that our defense is on the field more than others due to our offense which hurts the overall numbers of it. 

Basically yeah the defense isn't good and deserves criticism particularly how it has performed the past few weeks but I don't think it has been as bad as some people are leading on. 

Regardless, the defense is underperforming relative to expectation.

The offense (Stafford) has been good enough most games for this team to be better than 3-4. 24 points this week against what was previously a weak Raiders offense should have been enough, 30 points against the Vikings should have been enough, 31 points against the weak Giants offense was barely enough. 30 points against the Chiefs but the defense played fairly well in that game. 

I know yards aren't everything but they've given up 450, 379, 503!!!, 447, 438, 373, 424 and 387 this season. That's awful, they're way too easy to play against. They've given up less than 100 rushing yards (in a pass happy league) just once. Really bad defense and the eye test matches how bad they've been especially as of late.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes, it is. It makes the people who think the problem is with the talent level and not the coaching to take notice.  Yes, there is a talent issue but 31st defense in the league? No way, that is all coaching. Bend, but don't break. The entire game, all the way down the field. Over and over.

For crying out loud. Some of these people even have to complain when your criticisms of the coaching staff aren’t critical enough. 

Why don’t you just go to Allen Park with a sock full of pennies, get your anger out, and save the rest of us. 

56 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I have no problem with Slay's comments, FWIW.

I don’t either. But if you are Matt Patricia, it stings, and it is a problem. 

Per PFF Jarrad Davis is the lowest rated LB in all of football.   This is one of those pff stats that does match the eye test.   I think it's time the Lions cut bait and just use him as a pass rusher cause he's atrocious in every other facet of the game.  

41 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I don’t either. But if you are Matt Patricia, it stings, and it is a problem. 

I don't know as that it stings Patricia.

I'd think he'd have a conversation be to clear the air and address concerns, though.

3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

For crying out loud. Some of these people even have to complain when your criticisms of the coaching staff aren’t critical enough. 

Why don’t you just go to Allen Park with a sock full of pennies, get your anger out, and save the rest of us. 

I'm just agreeing with Slay because you know the Lions PR machine is going to label him a malcontent and try to get the fans to dislike him. Like the whole season is his fault. That's not right, IMO.

10 hours ago, Shelton said:

The lions are bad. 

rinse.  repeat.

fwiw, i think the lions had less talent on defense under caldwell, but stafford single handedly saved them with 8 4th quarter comeback victories, and that the lions' defensive stats looked better than they were because the offense played so slow (because they knew the defense sucked).

• Thanks 1

also, as to jarrad davis, quinn says he drafted him for the caldwell/austin regime's defense.

i'm not sure i buy that, but thats what he said.  davis is not a fit for patricia's scheme.  if anything, he should be playing kennard's position or just roaming around and blitzing from all over.  its all he does well.

tavai is the linebacker who fits patricia's scheme.  big and slow run stuffer.  you know, the kind who played 20 years ago...