kdog

November Regular season game thread

Fabbri scores in his first game with the Wings. Along with a goal from Larkin, the Wings lead Boston 2-1 after 1 at LCA.

I know it is just one game but if Fabbri can recapture anything close to his rookie year it will be a crazy win for the Wings.  They have a million De La Rose clones it feels like but adding another 20 goal scorer would be amazing

That was an impressive goal by Mantha, even though it was only an empty netter.

Bernier with a 2 assists night!

Wings beat Boston 4-2.

Nice win tonight...Mantha off an amazing cross ice pass from Fabbri...walks in on Subban and powers it through him.  If he can stay healthy and focused...Mantha is a serious threat to get 50.  That empty net goal against Boston was him basically telling the Bruins to F off while he lugged it up the ice through their pathetic attempts to stop him.

I think he's figured it out...when he works he isn't just good...he dominates

just don't tell him to fight and break his hand.

Don Cherry was fired today by Sportsnet. I loved Cherry as a kid and he was a staple growing up watching Molson HNIC on CBC Windsor. That said, his xenophobia and irrational hatred of the Eruo-style game has overstayed its welcome.

45 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Don Cherry was fired today by Sportsnet. I loved Cherry as a kid and he was a staple growing up watching Molson HNIC on CBC Windsor. That said, his xenophobia and irrational hatred of the Eruo-style game has overstayed its welcome.

Regardless whether one considers today's firing long overdue or, alternatively, consider it to be an overreaction, I'm not going to be too fussed about an 85 year old losing his job.  An employer doesn't need to cite any cause at all to justify a termination at that age. Cherry had ample opportunity over the years to retire on his own terms if he wished.

THAT'S what finally got cherry fired?  sheesh.  doesnt take much nowadays.

Don had a good run, but in a career that was always schtick, he had turned even more ridiculous in the last decade or so.

i'll always remember him hating on the red wings for their russian bent, at least for awhile.  

I haven't watched Cherry regularly in years.  For that matter, HNIC isn't a big deal to me anymore either, it's about as important as Game of the Week baseball.  At one time, beyond the shtick, I found he was reasonably insightful, but except for no-touch icing and don't distract your own goalie by waving your stick a shot from the point, I have a hard time remembering anything he has said in the past 20 years.  

Good riddance.  When Ron released his apology video last night basically apologizing for them both I figured Cherry refused to apologize and was toast.

15 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Good riddance.  When Ron released his apology video last night basically apologizing for them both I figured Cherry refused to apologize and was toast.

I hope he refused to apologize.  That would be refreshing.  Because he suggested that immigrants should be grateful for the life they have in Canada -- the life that presumably is what they immigrated for -- he is an unemployed "racist."  Ridiculous.

They were looking for a reason. But this is their reason?? He was basically fired for asking for people to support the troops. He shouldn't apologize at all and should immediately sue them for age discrimination. 

like i said, THATS what got him fired?  i thought he'd said a lot more controversial stuff than that in the past.

Cherry did refuse to apologize.  good for him.  but he had long since outlived his usefulness and was now just terrible suits and vitriol.  not much else.

i always liked ron maclean and hope he sticks around.

hnic isnt so important when every game is on tv, but i always liked to watch it back in the day and would always watch cherry as a kid hoping he would say something nice about the red wings.

8 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Great, the clown car showed up

hey!

i feel i have dragged this thread offcourse.

what we need is bigglesworth to let us know more about how youth hockey coaching.  that always drives people away.

These days, HNIC is just another Leafs game and so most of my Facebook friends who are posting about Cherry today are Leafs fans.

Don Cherry as much as anyone is responsible for the insiduous trend of 9 year olds in Ontario wearing jackets and ties to their hockey practices. If that's not a fireable offense I don't know what is.

abdelkader out for three weeks.  so not everything today is negative.