kdog

November Regular season game thread

To make people feel even better, I'm going to point out that not one of the Red Wings' 1st round picks from the past 5 years has established himself as an NHL regular. A combination of injuries (Svechnikov), lack of lottery luck, none really outperforming their drafted slot, and too soon to expect (Seider).

2015 - Svechnikov  #19

2016 - Cholowski #20  (I'd say 2nd rounder Hronek has established himself as an NHL regular)

2017 - Rasmussen #9

2018 - Zadina #6

2019 - Seider #6

The reason the Canucks are off to a better start this year is whether due to lucky drafting or smart drafting, three of their four 2015-2018 1st rounders are all contributing in a big way. 

2015 - Brock Boeser #23

2017 -  Elias Pettersson #5

2018 - Quinn Hughes #6

Cholowski was a reach but he should still be playing over any of the vet slugs(Green, Daley). Rasmussen's junior stats showed a lot of PP production and not much 5X5...that hasn't changed much.

Zadina has been a mild disappointment but hopefully he shows something in GR this year. Unless it's a disaster, he's going to in their top 9 next year.

Seider has actually played well at GR...but he needs some seasoning. Probably the kid with the most potential.

I hate to pile on but where’s the future goaltender of this franchise going to come from? 

25 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I hate to pile on but where’s the future goaltender of this franchise going to come from? 

Best hope is Larsson in his first season in the AHL, .879 save percentage and 3.28 gaa in 4 games.  He had 1.95 GAA, a 0.932 as a freshman in NCAA last season.

Carter Gylander was a seventh rounder last year that has great stats right now, but is on a dominating team I guess. He'll be headed to the NCAA next season so that will be a true test. Otherwise there are the two Swedish guys from two drafts ago, but my guess is that the future is on another team right now.

32 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

That's Mrazek. Who along with Nyquist, Tatar, Pulkinnen, Jurco, Sproul, XO and Jensen comprise a fine crop of draftees from the past few years who set up the Wings nicely for the future.

Oops, I forgot it is 2019 not 2013.

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Yaroslav Askarov

Meet our 1st round draft pick, 2020.

I guess they figure McIllrath should be fighting not Larkin and called him up (Daley to IR).  Oddly enough he's probably an upgrade over some of their D despite skating in quicksand.

Wings have a bad knack for giving up goals in bunches. After a scoreless first period in New York, the Rangers score 3 times in the first 9 minutes of the 2nd period. 3-1 Rags, late in the 2nd.

Comedy of errors, starring Jimmy Howard with a supporting role by Tyler Bertuzzi, results in a SHG that puts the game away. 4-1 midway through 3rd.

The Wings have played 16 games this year, have lost 8 of them by 3 or more goals. Could be 9 of 17 unless the Wings score in the next 3:45. So even if you had spotted the Wings a 2-0 lead before the start of every game this season, the Wings still would be below .500

It’s been a long time since Fabbri has been healthy but at this point it’s a good gamble for Stevie Y to take.   He’s going to need to take some longer odd chances and hopefully hit on one or two.   

Red Wings goal differential 2019 to date (17 games) - minus 1.94

Tigers run difference 2019 - minus 2.07

I like the fliers that Yzerman is taking. It's a bit of shuffling the deck chairs but De La Rose is a replacement level 4th liner and we're taking a guy who makes the same salary that has a bit more upside.

Incidentally, Fabbri is from the same draft year as Larkin. Larkin was taken #15 overall, Fabbri at #21

It makes sense...if Yzerman doesn't think he's a building block he is bold enough to make that kind of trade. He didn't pick him.

43 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It obviously would seem like selling low.  But it wasn't Yzerman's draft pick. He could feel that he knew why Zadina dropped on draft day, Yzerman has sized him up and is not impressed, and rather than cling to the fantasy that he's a top 6 pick, swap him now for a mid-late 1st before it's too late. That would be disappointing and seem like a big step back and I hope it doesn't happen, but I would understand that logic.

Does Perlini-Fabbri-Hirose make a good line?

Huge unknowns there... but get them some play and see what happens.

Point taken.

But I'm reluctant to put AA in the top 6 at this point. He needs to be protected on defense which limits him to 3rd line, IMHO.

That leaves - uncertainty - in filling out line #2. I'd like to see youth there to go with Perlini and Fabbri.

And if Hirose isn't top-shelf... he is.... "heady"?

Is that enough?

In Ken Dryden's new book on Bowman, Scotty lists what he considers to be the top 8 teams of all time. Spoiler: The 2019-2020 Wings didn't make the cut! Incidentally, my pick for the top 2 would be the 1976-77 Canadiens and the 1983-84 Oilers.

EI2R5qjWwAA_Gdy?format=jpg&name=4096x409