Sign in to follow this  
six-hopper

Standing pat

So the Lions are well behind the Packers and Vikings, they have a new offensive coordinator and offensive scheme that emphasize the run, and their one quality running back is down for the foreseeable future, leaving not even a halfway decent running back on the active roster.  (They rushed for only 59 yards against the woeful Giants, with a microscopic Yards Per Carry average.)  And they stand pat at the trade deadline.  

I hate the Lions, but I love the comic relief that they offer.  SOL forever!

The asking price (or salary) was probably too high for them. We hang onto our picks because we need some more draft busts. If we can't spot and develop talent, just trade our picks for established players. At least they wouldn't be even more wasted picks.

• Like 1

With this line they could have a prime Adrian Peterson and they aren't going to run the ball, plus even if they did Stafford is playing at another level so every time you run it that's one less time Stafford gets to throw it and I feel more confident in him than I do our running game.

Also thanks to the bullcrap Lambeau officiating it's going to be tough to make the playoffs, not worth mortgaging the future unless you get a total game changer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

So the Lions are well behind the Packers and Vikings, they have a new offensive coordinator and offensive scheme that emphasize the run, and their one quality running back is down for the foreseeable future, leaving not even a halfway decent running back on the active roster.  (They rushed for only 59 yards against the woeful Giants, with a microscopic Yards Per Carry average.)  And they stand pat at the trade deadline.  

So like... are you ever..... happy?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

No, 6Hop only follow the Lions for what he terms "comic relief." Unfortunately it can be a little annoying at times.

But in this case it would have been really dumb for the Lions to have traded for anyone of consequence.  They have a number of holes in the team which a key pickup might fill, but they also have an OL that can't run block worth crap, questions in the secondary due to a previous trade and Slay's injury, a DL which is underperforming, and truthfully questions at HC.

All of this says that it seems unlikely that the Lions will make a serious push for a long playoff run this year.  Given this, why in the world would they mortgage their future to push this year?  Just to get to the playoffs?  *Maybe* win one playoff game? (And yeah, I know that's something they haven't in decades, but the point is I don't want to give away future assets *just* for one playoff win.)

This was a time to stand pat.  If the right trade came along, sure... try it.  But don't sell out for a piece or two that *might* help win 10 games instead of 9.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

No, 6Hop only follow the Lions for what he terms "comic relief." Unfortunately it can be a little annoying at times.

But in this case it would have been really dumb for the Lions to have traded for anyone of consequence.  They have a number of holes in the team which a key pickup might fill, but they also have an OL that can't run block worth crap, questions in the secondary due to a previous trade and Slay's injury, a DL which is underperforming, and truthfully questions at HC.

All of this says that it seems unlikely that the Lions will make a serious push for a long playoff run this year.  Given this, why in the world would they mortgage their future to push this year?  Just to get to the playoffs?  *Maybe* win one playoff game? (And yeah, I know that's something they haven't in decades, but the point is I don't want to give away future assets *just* for one playoff win.)

This was a time to stand pat.  If the right trade came along, sure... try it.  But don't sell out for a piece or two that *might* help win 10 games instead of 9.

If we are talking about (not) trading Slay, Ramsey set the market pretty high: two firsts and a fourth. Ramsey is younger, but only three years. So if, say, Philadelphia didn’t show up with at least a first and a second for Slay, you keep him. 

And who knows what Seattle was asking for Penny. They spent a first on him, but probably weren’t going to get better than a fourth from the Lions. (Or is it a fifth? I have a hard time telling the difference.)

I would like to have gotten a shiny Penny, but I’m glad Quinn didn’t pay big money to do so. 

20 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm happy a whole lot of the time.  In fact, I'm happy quite often about the Lions:  when they lose; when something bad happens to them, regardless of whether it is self-inflicted or ref-or -rules-inflicted or just emerges from the bizarro-world where strange Lions events are spawned; and especially when they do something that is worthy of a perfect 10, even from the Russian judge, in the Ineptitude Olympics.  

I get plenty of laughs watching the Lions, and I enjoy a good laugh. Some even say that it's the best medicine, although I rank it somewhat below my hallucinogenic "medications."

On 10/29/2019 at 6:02 PM, six-hopper said:

Sincerely doubt you hate the lions with 1300 posts on a Lions message board.

I think they should have pushed for Drake or Freeman or Gordon.   Season is far from over.

42 minutes ago, kgeorge78 said:

I think they should have pushed for Drake or Freeman or Gordon.   Season is far from over.

Well, it's at least as easy to post about something you don't like as something that you do.  But even so, only a small fraction of my posts on this board are about the toothless and clawless Lions.  Also, I do indeed hate the Lions, and your doubts about that fact don't change the fact that it's a fact.

Regarding whether the season is over, I don't mind a mix of 0-16-type seasons and mediocre ones in which the Lions give the illusion of being playoff contenders for a while but eventually show their true blue-hoo colors.  Variety is the spice of life. 

13 hours ago, kgeorge78 said:

Apparently they did push for Freeman. Maybe they dodged a bullet in not picking him up with his injuries. 

Gordon too expensive.

Drake... For a sixth/conditional fifth... I would have liked that.