Jump to content

Hongbit

10/27 NY Giants at Lions

Recommended Posts


Eli would not be a HOF in my book.  Hard to argue with the Super Bowls but I don't think at any point he was viewed as an elite QB and to me you should be an elite player at your position for atleast a few years to be a Hall of Famer, but thats just me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

 

I think the key for Stafford, assuming he has another 4+ seasons ahead of him, is going to be whether he gets past Philip Rivers, who currently sits at #6 with about 57k yards, and Matt Ryan, who currently sits at #11 with about 49k yards. 

Brees, Brady, and Peyton (1, 2, 3) are locks.

Big Ben (currently 7... and maybe done?) is a lock.

Eli (currently 8, at 56k) is going to get in.

Aaron Rodgers (currently 15, at 45k) is going to get in.

And I think the HOF voters want to put Rivers in.

That's a lot of QBs from this generation, and that may be all there is room for. If Stafford doesn't pass Ryan, he doesn't deserve consideration. But if he ends up playing 16+ seasons like Rivers or Big Ben, and ends up with 60,000 yards or more, that's hard to deny.

Still, I think he'll end up, in Lions fashion, as the QB with the most yards who is not in the HOF.


Stafford is only 31.  I see him playing more like 8+ seasons rather than 4+.   If he plays 8 more seasons with a 4000 yard average that would put him right at Favre and Peyton numbers and guaranteed entry possibly on the 1st or 2nd ballot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Hongbit said:


Stafford is only 31.  I see him playing more like 8+ seasons rather than 4+.   If he plays 8 more seasons with a 4000 yard average that would put him right at Favre and Peyton numbers and guaranteed entry possibly on the 1st or 2nd ballot.  

I was being conservative. He may well play 20 seasons, like Brady and Brees. I hope he does. If so, he will have some impressive stats. 

OTOH, he finished last season with a broken back...

Edit: Agree that it is hard to put Eli in. But he’s going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to point out that early in this thread it was been mentioned Stafford couldn't lead his team to a drinking fountain, and the thread concludes by debating his hall of fame worthiness. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eli Manning has a better shot at making the Hall of Fame than Philip Rivers even though Rivers has been a better QB. Everyone agrees Ben Roethlisberger is a slam dunk, no question, Hall of Famer. Philip Rivers has identical numbers, slightly better, than Roethlisberger and is not a slam dunk hall of famer. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Eli Manning has a better shot at making the Hall of Fame than Philip Rivers even though Rivers has been a better QB. Everyone agrees Ben Roethlisberger is a slam dunk, no question, Hall of Famer. Philip Rivers has identical numbers, slightly better, than Roethlisberger and is not a slam dunk hall of famer. 

You speak for "everyone"? This all sounds like one persons opinion with no actual proof behind it. I mean, did you actually take a poll of all the voters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would like to point out that early in this thread it was been mentioned Stafford couldn't lead his team to a drinking fountain, and the thread concludes by debating his hall of fame worthiness. 

Good. I thought people were being unfair to Stafford, and lacked knowledge about the scale of his accomplishments relative to his peers. 

Mission accomplished. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Good. I thought people were being unfair to Stafford, and lacked knowledge about the scale of his accomplishments relative to his peers. 

Mission accomplished. 

How many of his peers who might even arguably be considered for the Hall of Fame have "accomplished" as bad a record against winning teams and a career 0-fer in the postseason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, six-hopper said:

How many of his peers who might even arguably be considered for the Hall of Fame have "accomplished" as bad a record against winning teams and a career 0-fer in the postseason?

Stafford deserves a better surrounding cast than he has.

He also deserves better fans.

In any event, a national writer is putting Stafford in the MVP conversation.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/11/03/nfl-week-9-preview-breakdown-lamar-jackson-ravens-patriots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Stafford deserves a better surrounding cast than he has.

He also deserves better fans.

In any event, a national writer is putting Stafford in the MVP conversation.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/11/03/nfl-week-9-preview-breakdown-lamar-jackson-ravens-patriots

I was going to share that as well but didn't because I wasn't confident in the author.  There a section where he talks about the hypothetical of being Jacoby Brisset's agent without mentioning that Brisset acrually represents himself.  The point was still valid even if Brisset doesn't have an agent so it seems like the author didn't actually know.

 

Either way I agree with him about Stafford.  Even if I'm just a Lions fanboy and he's lazy writter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sagnam said:

I was going to share that as well but didn't because I wasn't confident in the author.  There a section where he talks about the hypothetical of being Jacoby Brisset's agent without mentioning that Brisset acrually represents himself.  The point was still valid even if Brisset doesn't have an agent so it seems like the author didn't actually know.

 

Either way I agree with him about Stafford.  Even if I'm just a Lions fanboy and he's lazy writter.

Yes, I agree on the author, who writes like he's paid by the word. ?

On the other hand, it is rare for the national writers to pay attention to the Lions, and when they do the attention is usually negative.

And I appreciated how he broke down Stafford's four interceptions, and came out concluding they were calculated risks based on game situations.

I have never been a Stafford hater, and I've at times been critical of him. But his start to this season (after finishing last season with a broken back), and his feat of hitting 40,000 yards, has got me thinking about his place in the history of the game.

I think he has almost singlehandedly dragged a franchise -- which immediately prior to his arrival had just earned the first 0-16 season in NFL history!!! -- from abject ineptitude to mediocrity. And it is not out of the question that he could drag them even further up the mountain of respectability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Stafford deserves a better surrounding cast than he has.

He also deserves better fans.

In any event, a national writer is putting Stafford in the MVP conversation.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/11/03/nfl-week-9-preview-breakdown-lamar-jackson-ravens-patriots

Hey,  he couldn't ask for a better fan than me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...