Mr.TaterSalad

2020 NFL Draft Thread

Lots of rumors that once the CBA issues are determined this week, the league will announce the draft will be moved from Vegas and delayed until Mid May.   

NFL announced that the draft will go on as scheduled but without patrons of course.  It will still be televised and everything.  Not sure if the players and their families will be in attendance though.  

looking at potential Tua suitors, what would it take for you to trade down to:

#5 with miami

#6 with the chargers

#7 with carolina

#12/19? with the raiders

with 5, 6, or 7 you might be able to still snag okudah.  at 12/19 you could take one of the top receivers or olineman plus cj henderson.

I'm not as high on Okudah as others, I mean I like him but I don't like him anymore than guys like Brown, Simmons, Jeudy

12 minutes ago, Buddha said:

#5 with miami

#6 with the chargers

#7 with carolina

#12/19? with the raiders

with 5, 6, or 7 you might be able to still snag okudah.  at 12/19 you could take one of the top receivers or olineman plus cj henderson.

I'm not as high on Okudah as others, I mean I really like him but I don't like him that much more than anybody else we could get at 5,6 or 7 so I'd take just a 2020 2nd to trade with those teams.   I'd probably do the Raiders deal as well but I think we could squeeze more out of them if we really tried.    

• Like 1

i trade down to 5-6-7 and take the CB or Simmons and pickup a WR later in the 1st with the pic.

On 3/23/2020 at 6:15 PM, Buddha said:

#5 with miami

#6 with the chargers

#7 with carolina

#12/19? with the raiders

Short of drafting Tua, Burrow, or Young, I think the Lions must trade down. In any one of these deals you need to be able to pick up multiple firsts and then probably a second or third on top of that. If I get #5 and #18 from Miami then I'm taking one of Okudah, Simmons, or Brown at #5 and then someone like Josh Jones (OT) or BPA defensive player at #18.

Not seeing any talk about Jacksonville. Are they really sold on Minshew? They have a lot of picks and may get more by trading Ngakoue, or they could put a package around Ngahoue for the #3 pick.

when the eagles traded up from #8 to #2 to get wentz, they gave up #8, a third, a fourth, and two future firsts.

when the rams went up from #15 to get goff, they also gave up two seconds that year, a third, next year's first and next year's third.  they also got a 4th back from tennessee.

when the bears went up from 3 to 2 to get trubisky (lolz bears), they gave up #3, 67, 111 and a future third.

i think if the lions traded with the dolphins or chargers, it would probably look more like the bears trade.  so be prepared not to get multiple firsts.  

Depending on how teams view Tua I think the Lions have more leverage than the Bears scenario.  When the Bears traded up there was Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes available who all were viewed fairly similar in the Tua case I feel there is potential for teams to view Tua much higher than Herbert and be more willing to give up more to make sure they get him.  Particularly since there are a few QB needy teams in the top 10.

Goddell says the draft is going as scheduled.  

The idea of having the draft with no fanfare, no bro hugs, no crying families in the green room is....so awesome.  

Do a hologram of Pete Rozelle answering an old fashioned phone and then walking to the podium to announce that the Lions have passed on Dan Marino in order to draft fullback James Jones.  Or passing on Randy Moss to take Terry Fair.  Bring back some real memories!

25 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Or pass on Chase Young to take Jeffery Okduah . . .

i still think there is a good chance they would do that.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

i still think there is a good chance they would do that.

Oh, I'm serious when I post that. Their scheme clearly prioritizes coverage over pressure and thus they would justify that Okduah is a better fit for what they want to do. Smartest guy in the room syndrome would win out again.

trade down to 5 and get an extra second rounder.  pick up okudah at 5.  take ruiz and hamler in round 2.  logan wilson and anae in round 3.  aj dillon in round 4.  james proche in round 5 and some stud who fell because he smoked pot.  take a punter in round 6.  take lavert hill in round 7 because MICHIGAN.

sign clowney.

super.  bowl.

youre welcome.

Likely positions the Lions will draft:
1. Corner
2. Punter
3. Tight End
4. Wide Receiver
5. Guard
6. Defensive End
7. Backup QB
8. Defensive Tackle
9. Offensive Tackle
10. Running Back
11. Linebacker
12. Kicker
13. Long Snapper
14. Safety

Before free agency, I had DT as the #1 position, but with the two signings, I think they're good now.  Not a great class after the first two guys imo.  If they like the two punters they have, then obviously they won't draft one. This is a sneaky good draft for TE's, and can get a backup to challenge pretty cheap in the mid rounds.  The DE class also drops down after Young, unless Epenesa falls through the cracks somehow.  Wide Receiver is also really strong in this draft, and I think Peoples-Jones makes a lot of sense in the 3rd or 4th round. His physical traits are very similar to Kenny Goladay.  I think they will draft a backup QB in the later rounds. This is a good RB draft, but so is next year's class.  I think the Lions like what they have, and there will be plenty of talent next year.

Not that he was a big signing, but it might be a little less likely that the Lions draft a WR after signing Allison.  Hall plays a key role for them, so they can wait another year for that position group.

they dont have anyone signed after next year.  they can still take at least one receiver thia year, even if it might be a late round slot guy.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

they dont have anyone signed after next year.  they can still take at least one receiver thia year, even if it might be a late round slot guy.

That's possible,  but they will probably only keep 5.  I'm expecting the Lions to sign Golladay to a long term deal.

6 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

That's possible,  but they will probably only keep 5.  I'm expecting the Lions to sign Golladay to a long term deal.

me too.  but i dont expect jones, amendola, or allison to be here next year.  they need receivers in the long term.  and more importantly, they need explosive players who can stretch the field.

If the Lions trade back I wouldn't be opposed to them taking a Jeudy or Lamb even though it's a deep WR draft.   

Mcshay has us staying put and taking Okudah and Caesar Ruiz(presumably to play guard not center) in the 2nd round. 

Id be completely underwhelmed if this were to happen. I like Okudah but I'd rather trade back and pick up extra draft capital and as far as Ruiz goes I have no desire to use an early 2nd rounder on a guard.  This team needs more playmakers on both sides of the ball. 

On 3/30/2020 at 9:32 AM, RandyMarsh said:

If the Lions trade back I wouldn't be opposed to them taking a Jeudy or Lamb even though it's a deep WR draft.   

That would be such a Millen thing to do, in a win now mode take a #4 wide out

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Reports are that Tua's stock is falling with some teams. Not sure if that is just noise to drive down the Lions price or not.

i dont think tua gets to the lions.  i think he's going #2 to the redskins.