Mr.TaterSalad

2020 NFL Draft Thread

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

How doesn't Devin Bush fit given that they value coverage over blitzing? Bush could have given them a Linebacker who could cover in space and provide containment over the middle.

because he's too small.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

How doesn't Devin Bush fit given that they value coverage over blitzing? Bush could have given them a Linebacker who could cover in space and provide containment over the middle.

They value size and length. They want interchangeable parts. 

18 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

They value size and length. They want interchangeable parts. 

They also prioritize coverage and containment over sending a 4th or 5th guy into blitz. Bush is the perfect containment LB who plays smart in coverage and is a tackling machine.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

They also prioritize coverage and containment over sending a 4th or 5th guy into blitz. Bush is the perfect containment LB who plays smart in coverage and is a tackling machine.

you can say that all you want, but the lions like big linebackers and devin bush is a small linebacker.  they were never going to draft him.

now, you can they're wrong to value size at linebacker over speed, but thats a different argument.

15 minutes ago, Buddha said:

you can say that all you want, but the lions like big linebackers and devin bush is a small linebacker.  they were never going to draft him.

now, you can they're wrong to value size at linebacker over speed, but thats a different argument.

OK. I'll say it. Any GM is wrong to draft exclusively to tape measure readings. Now I suppose if you are resigned to being a D that can never get off the field, and anticipate your D being out there 40min every game and you are worried about your guys get run over after getting run down ......    

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

In some packages they prioritize coverage and they want an extra defensive back, not a Linebacker. In others they want linebackers who can move around and control a gap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longgone said:

In some packages they prioritize coverage and they want an extra defensive back, not a Linebacker. In others they want linebackers who can move around and control a gap.

Which Bush can do. The guy is a tackling machine.

8 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Which Bush can do. The guy is a tackling machine.

It takes size and strength to stand up an offensive lineman, hold your ground and shed. Bush excels at ranging sideline to sideline, which is great for some schemes, but controlling gaps is not his forte.

7 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Tavai was a whole 10lbs more than Bush.   

Size and length.

I would guess talent is the primary reason they passed on Bush given they have a philosophy against drafting talented players.

Call it 12 1/2 and it's a grand total of 5% difference in their body weight. Now, since kinetic energy = 1/2 m*v^2, Bush only has be moving 2.5% faster than Tavai to deliver the same energy to a spot.

im not here to defend them taking jahlani tavai, i'm just saying they were never going to take devin bush, especially in the top 10.  he's not the type of linebacker they envision for this defense.

they also had one of the worst defenses in the league last year and their linebackers were especially bad.  so take that for what its worth.

2019 combine 40 times

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

im not here to defend them taking jahlani tavai, i'm just saying they were never going to take devin bush, especially in the top 10.  he's not the type of linebacker they envision for this defense.

they also had one of the worst defenses in the league last year and their linebackers were especially bad.  so take that for what its worth.

No argument about their preferences. Just hard for me to imagine what they envision. The offense always has the choice of where to go, which means the D always has to go further to get there.  You don't even need to put a big body on a big slow LB, you just run away from him. 

This Jeremiah tweet made me laugh.   Every team coverts except for one.    Sadly, at 219 lbs this guy probably isn’t even on the Lions draft board. 

• Like 1

I think we can all agree this would be a dream scenario.

Trade #3 and get #7, #38, Carolina #1 next year, #2 in 2022 and still get to draft Okudah.   

Would Quinn accept that trade given that he has an edict to win this year or be fired? What good are future draft picks when you're building a team out of desperation for a one year run?

The other thing about this mock, that is realistic, is it keeps with tradition in picking a Safety in the third round.

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Would Quinn accept that trade given that he has an edict to win this year or be fired? What good are future draft picks when you're building a team out of desperation for a one year run?

He’d still get to draft Okudah and pick up an extra early 2nd this year.   He’d also have the option of trading Slay for a late 1st round or another early 2nd this year.  

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

He’d still get to draft Okudah and pick up an extra early 2nd this year.   He’d also have the option of trading Slay for a late 1st round or another early 2nd this year.  

I suppose. He'll probably make this trade with Young sitting there at #3 just to do Lions fans in one more time before he goes 5-11 and gets fired.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I suppose. He'll probably make this trade with Young sitting there at #3 just to do Lions fans in one more time before he goes 5-11 and gets fired.

I would be happy to pass on Young for this haul.    

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

i'd be very surprised if they got a 1st for slay.  he's 30 and is due a huge pay bump after this season (and will likely hold out of he doesnt get one before this season).  maybe a 2d.  more likely a 3rd.

6 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I think we can all agree this would be a dream scenario.

Trade #3 and get #7, #38, Carolina #1 next year, #2 in 2022 and still get to draft Okudah.   

Yeah, that's dreaming alright. There's no way that realistically happens unless the Panthers see Tua as a generational QB. I guess anything is possible but the Darnold trade of three 2nds added on is more realistic and that would be quite a haul as well IMO. I'd even be content with two 2nds.