Mr.TaterSalad

2020 NFL Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Had they fired Quintricia then I think it would be a likely possibility.   I think it’s unlikely now they’ve been given the playoff ultimatum.

Agree. Mrs. Ford did not give them one more year so they could blow up the team further. 

And now that Rhule is in at Carolina, we have three teams who will want QBs, but only two QBs deemed worthy of top-of-the-draft consideration. 

Quinn needs to come out of this with a trade that lands an all-pro player with the #5, 6, or 7 pick, and another starter from a second #1 pick this year (MIA) or two more picks this year from rounds 2-4.

I just re-read and caught that. Had Dee Ford lined correctly the Chiefs are in all likelihood in the Super Bowl, which means Mahomes would have made a Super Bowl on a rookie deal. He still very well could this year as well. In fact, 3 of 4 AFC teams QB's are on rookie deals and the other is Ryan Tanehill, signed for next to nothing. The Bills also have a QB on a rookie deal, so had they beaten the Texas 3 of 4 AFC teams would still have QBs on a rookie deal.

I am not advocating for Tua by any means, although I am intrigued by the idea of taking him. I'm just pointing out the trend in the NFL of getting a QB on a rookie deal and building around him.

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I just re-read and caught that. Had Dee Ford lined correctly the Chiefs are in all likelihood in the Super Bowl, which means Mahomes would have made a Super Bowl on a rookie deal. He still very well could this year as well. In fact, 3 of 4 AFC teams QB's are on rookie deals and the other is Ryan Tanehill, signed for next to nothing. The Bills also have a QB on a rookie deal, so had they beaten the Texas 3 of 4 AFC teams would still have QBs on a rookie deal.

I am not advocating for Tua by any means, although I am intrigued by the idea of taking him. I'm just pointing out the trend in the NFL of getting a QB on a rookie deal and building around him.

Those rookie deals only last 4 years. At some point, you have to sign up. What do you believe the Rams should have done with Goff? How has Stafford's contract prevented the Lions from signing who they wanted? What do you do with Mahomes? He's going to be owed a huge contract.

IDK the more I watch highlights of him and the more I think about it the more it makes me want Jeudy.  Right now I think I may even take him over Young.  I think not only is Jeudy a once in a decade type WR prospect but I think he is just a perfect fit for the team.  On top of that looking at some mocks great Edge rushers like Terrell Lewis and Julian Okwara should be available in the 2nd round so we could improve our pass rush by going defense then.

But in regards to Jeudy the fact that he creates so much separation, runs such crisp routes and is so elusive after the catch just makes him a dream target to go along with the bigger Golladay and Hockenson(who I think is going to breakout next year).   Also unlike those two guys Jeudy creates separation quickly so Staff won't have to wait as long to throw which helps and also he won't have to try to thread the needle on every throw.

Basically I think Jeudy would have a far bigger impact on our offense and help us score more points than whatever defender we take will have on the defense aside from possibly Young.  I'm still on the fence between him and Jeudy but if YOung is gone then Jeudy should definitely be the pick IMO. 

Excited to watch Simmons tonight.   He’s got a unique skill set that I really like.

Simmons was a beast but Darryl Stingley Jr is something else.  

A 6’1 shutdown CB that runs 4.3. He’s forced by rule to play 2 more years for free when he’d be a top 3 pick right now.    Sucks for him. LSU has talked about letting him play both ways next year which would make him even more valuable. I wonder if he may think about try to pull the Mike Williams/Maurice Clarett thing and challenge the early entry rule after next season. 

I like Simmons as a player and wouldn't be that upset if he was the pick at #3 assuming that A) Chase Young is not on the board still and B) They have a plan and a position for him to play. I don't want them drafting Simmons and then saying "now what" in regards to how he is used and what position he plays. I think Simmons versatility and ability to play the Safety or Linebacker position and step into the box or play in coverage if needed is something Patricia would value in his defense.

I worry though that he might be a little more talented a player than what Quinn is looking to draft. We'll see what his 40 time comes in at.

if the raiders cut derek carr, what would they have to give up to get all the way to #3?

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

if the raiders cut derek carr, what would they have to give up to get all the way to #3?

any deal has to at least start with Connor Cook

The Raiders don't have any second round picks so I would imagine it would take at least their two first rounders at 12 and 19. They also have picks 80 and 81 in the 3rd so probably one of those and possibly a future pick or two. 

In 2016, Philadelphia traded two firsts, a second, a third, and a 4th for the #2 pick. The pick they had was #8. Using this as a standard, I would say 12, 19, 81 a future 2nd and a conditional 3rd or 4th rounder. 

11 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

In 2016, Philadelphia traded two firsts, a second, a third, and a 4th for the #2 pick. The pick they had was #8. Using this as a standard, I would say 12, 19, 81 a future 2nd and a conditional 3rd or 4th rounder. 

It would be three first

13 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm on board.

I absolutely don't believe it and totally think it's just smoke but supposedly there is news coming out of Cincy that with them coaching the Senior Bowl they are starting to really fall in love with Herbert and Burrow at number 1 is not a foregone conclusion.   

Hypothetically if they were to take him(again 90% that is not going to happen) I'm not sure if that would be a good thing for us or not.   If Washington were to then take Burrow then obviously it would be but if they stay the course and take Chase Young that would then lead to Burrow and Tua both being available at 3 and I think that may hurt our leverage cause teams would have a "safety net" sorta speak with there being 2 elite QBs available instead of just 1.   They can just say they will trade for the number 4 pick and take whomever doesn't go number 3.  

Also that would be beg the question do you just stand pat at 3 and take Burrow?    With all this said I surely don't think any of this is going to happen and Cincy is just going to take Burrow at 1 but it's been kinda quiet lately so at the very least it adds another wrinkle to things and something to discuss.  

Interesting to consider but Washington would most likely take Burrow if he fell to him.   They have an entirely new front office and coaching staff and aren't married to Haskins at all.    Even if Burrow goes #1,  They still could conceivably take Tua or even Herbert if they like him and leave Young to the Lions at #3

21 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Interesting to consider but Washington would most likely take Burrow if he fell to him.   They have an entirely new front office and coaching staff and aren't married to Haskins at all.    Even if Burrow goes #1,  They still could conceivably take Tua or even Herbert if they like him and leave Young to the Lions at #3

At which point the Lions would take an offensive tackle.  lol.

Burrow will go #1 to the Bengals.  They are married to that pick, and so would I.  The action begins at #2.

I think Chase Young is an 85% lock to Washington at 2...so the action starts at 3.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:38 AM, Buddha said:

At which point the Lions would take an offensive tackle.  lol.

I can't wait for the reports linking the Lions to Andrew Thomas or Tristan Wirfs.

I think the Chargers present the best opportunity to trade down.    They have a need for a long term QB and are one of those teams that has enough talent already that there is no guarantee that they will be picking this high again so they may not get a better chance to draft a future QB than now.   I also think they may be players for Tom Brady this offseason because they need to make a splash moving into the new stadium which would likely lower their chances even more of getting a good pick next year..

I could see them wanting to trade up a few spots to get Tua and have him learn from potentially Brady(if not him then whoever they end up signing) for a year.   I think 6 would be a great spot, you will still be able to get one of Okudah, Brown, Simmons, Jeudy or Thomas while picking up extra capital.   

1 minute ago, sagnam said:

How is Miami not the best option?

I just don't know how motivated they are to trade up.  For one they may feel that they can still get Tua staying at 5 for another they are one of those teams that should still be bad next year so they may opt to just wait till next year instead of trading draft capital. 

The Chargers on the other hand know that Miami is a strong option so they have to feel they need to jump them and I feel that unlike the Dolphins they could be decent next year and may not be in position like this to draft a franchise QB for awhile.