Mr.TaterSalad

2020 NFL Draft Thread

20 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Wagner is gone and Decker will be playing out the last season of his rookie contract.  I think it will be OL again.   

I believe Crosby is the plan at RT.

What complicates this draft for me is that I believe that Quinn and Patricia are playing for their jobs next year. Which makes me think they are more likely to sign a stop gap CB than draft one. Jeudy has a chance to be drafted high as well, Marvin Jones is likely gone next year.

decker will be brought back on his option.  wagner will be let go and a fa replacement or platoon with crosby will come in.  i doubt they draft a tackle as decker has looked much better as the season has gone on.

rieff isnt anything special in minnesota.  im not mad that the lions didnt overpay to keep him.

i could see them take one of the bama receivers top 10 depending on where they are in the top 10.

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Jeudy if Young is off the board.  Yes I know we have more pressing needs but ultimately what I want is the most talent we can get and game changers and Jeudy is just that.

No thanks on drafting a WR at #3 or #4 overall. We just drafted someone who is supposed to be a 80+ catch, 1,200 yard, generational weapon last year in the Top 10. With a defense this atrocious, I am not going back-to-back Top 10 picks on offensive weapons. Yes, I want the BPA, but I am certain at the #3 or #4 pick there will be a defensive player who is a BPA.

Yes the defense sucks but let's not pretend that the offense is great either.  Even with Stafford we werent exactly lighting it up.   

The bottom line is to win the game you need to score more points than your opponent, if adding a top flight offensive player will help us add more points than a defensive player will help subtract points then give me the offensive player.  

Edit: with that said this is supposed to be a deep draft for WR so they probably be better served just waiting if they want one but I'm just saying if they feel that one is head and shoulders above what they have a defender ranked at I wouldn't turn it down just cause the defense is bad.

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yes the defense sucks but let's not pretend that the offense is great either.  Even with Stafford we werent exactly lighting it up.   

The bottom line is to win the game you need to score more points than your opponent, if adding a top flight offensive player will help us add more points than a defensive player will help subtract points then give me the offensive player.  

Edit: with that said this is supposed to be a deep draft for WR so they probably be better served just waiting if they want one but I'm just saying if they feel that one is head and shoulders above what they have a defender ranked at I wouldn't turn it down just cause the defense is bad.

If Jeudy is going to be the next Julio Jones or AJ Green then you take him.  Like you said, it's 2020 and its all about offense.

In the first round, especially, you better draft players who you think will be ten year starters.

Would love it if the Lions could pick Chase Young, but with NYG, WAS, MIA, ARI all terrible as well, it is unlikely the Lions will pick above #4. 

So yes, if you think Jeudy has an all-pro ceiling, you take him. And guess what... Marvin Jones is not going to be here forever. 

But with Tua (reportedly expected to make a full recovery) and Justin Herbert in the mix, there may be an opportunity for Quinn (if he is still around) to be bold -- yes, I said it -- drop back, and acquire some extra picks. 

Chase Young says he's going back to Ohio State.

Stick to the process... one more year of the brain trust, and maybe the Lions can win the Chase Young sweepstakes in 2021.

6 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Chase Young says he's going back to Ohio State.

Stick to the process... one more year of the brain trust, and maybe the Lions can win the Chase Young sweepstakes in 2021.

lol.  no he's not.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It would be an SOL moment if we were picking #2 and Chase Young chose to stay in school another year.

That wouldn't be so  bad.  The Lions would be sure of getting what Bob Quinn really desires -- a low-positional-value player projected to be a third-rounder by everyone else in the football universe.

Miami should beat Cin; Wash and Giants play, so one should win; if they can run the table:

1. Cin

2. Wash/NY

3. Detroit

Miami beats Cincy, Redskins beat Giants, Giants beat Eagles, Lions lose both. Lions draft #2 and take.....Albert Okwuegbunam

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c1dc9e969c0d235be1

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Mel Kiper  just said on ESPN he thinks the Lions could take Tua.

Had they fired Quintricia then I think it would be a likely possibility.   I think it’s unlikely now they’ve been given the playoff ultimatum.

22 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Had they fired Quintricia then I think it would be a likely possibility.   I think it’s unlikely now they’ve been given the playoff ultimatum.

I think that aspect is overblown. Press releases and publicly stated expectations aren’t necessarily what the true expectation is. You can expect/demand playoff contention in 2020 and also expect/demand that the org makes decisions directed to sustained success beyond 2020. 

I could see Quinn earning credit by going to team ownership/leadership and making a case that drafting Tua is the best decision for the franchise, even if such a pick would reduce their level of competitiveness in 2020.

What is so special about Tua when chances are he will never be as good as the QB they have now? Won't there be other injured QBs in future drafts they can take?

By drafting Tua you assume he has gotten a clean bill of health from your team doctors and 2nd/3rd/4th opinions. You are also following the successful business model of teams like the Ravens, Chiefs, Rams, and Seahawks and getting a good QB on a rookie deal and then taking that money and spending it elsewhere.

55 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Mel Kiper  just said on ESPN he thinks the Lions could take Tua.

Yeah...

No.

Select Young or CB/ LT/ WR, whoever drops and is highest on the board, or better yet, trade down to someone hot for Tua and cash in with extra picks. Our only two choices, IMO...

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

By drafting Tua you assume he has gotten a clean bill of health from your team doctors and 2nd/3rd/4th opinions. You are also following the successful business model of teams like the Ravens, Chiefs, Rams, and Seahawks and getting a good QB on a rookie deal and then taking that money and spending it elsewhere.

Goff and Wilson are among the highest paid QBs in the league and Mahomes will shortly pass them. It's more likely Tua ends up a Trubisky than Mahomes.

The Rams are in a world of hurt. They have a lot of cap space locked up in only a couple players and no first round pick for five seasons. I hope their one and done super bowl appearance was worth it. I wouldn't call that a successful business model.

Mahomes is nowhere near the the top of the league for QB salaries. He's making $4.1 million per year and that has allowed the Chiefs to try (unsuccessfully if you look at their defense) to spend and put a ton of talent around him. They were a Dee Ford lining up onsides away from making a Super Bowl. Goff, who was initially on a cheaper rookie deal, also made a Super Bowl before he was given an extension. Russell Wilson was also a Super Bowl winning QB once and had a second appearance in one on a rookie deal.