Mr.TaterSalad

2020 NFL Draft Thread

35 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

As much as I hate to say it, I think OL is once again a need. :(

Fine as long as Tight End isn't a need haha.

I see a need for 7 more high-end players (1st to 3rd rounders?) to push this team over the top:

Franchise LT to push Decker over to the right side.

Road-grading Guard to push Dahl back to the bench.

RB with more wiggle both for depth with Kerryon but also to improve the running game. I like Kerryon, but he's not quite enough.

An explosive WR who can create great separation; can be inside or outside, or be able to do both.

Elite Pass-rushing D-Lineman. 

A Khalil Mack like LB'er.

Another Top Cornerback to pair with Slay.

I don't see how we get more than 2 or 3 of those players... And I'm not talking elite players, I'm talking RB and OG. How do we get 5 more high-level players to make this team a real Contender instead of just a pretender?

With the season officially a disaster it is time to start looking at the best Tight End prospects given that the position is still a need. In all seriousness, can we get a string of season at some point in my life where we aren't forced to talk about the draft half way through the year?

On 10/24/2019 at 6:06 PM, 84 Lives!!! said:

Question: 

When is it time to trade Slay for draft picks?

as soon as they found out stafford had broken bones in his back and wasnt going to play.

14 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

With the season officially a disaster it is time to start looking at the best Tight End prospects given that the position is still a need. In all seriousness, can we get a string of season at some point in my life where we aren't forced to talk about the draft half way through the year?

top 10?  probably a high value position like guard to help with out great running game!  or maybe a run stuffing defensive tackle!

because we all know the nfl is about stopping the run nowadays.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

as soon as they found out stafford had broken bones in his back and wasnt going to play.

Too late.

KL2 is correct... it'll be the offseason.

2 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Too late.

KL2 is correct... it'll be the offseason.

i was making a joke.

Valenti is on right now saying that if the bottom falls out on the season and we end up with a Top 5 pick that we have to take a QB and then trade Stafford if possible. Assuming we won't be worse than the Bengals and we end up between picks 2-5, do you agree with the idea of taking a QB?

47 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Valenti is on right now saying that if the bottom falls out on the season and we end up with a Top 5 pick that we have to take a QB and then trade Stafford if possible. Assuming we won't be worse than the Bengals and we end up between picks 2-5, do you agree with the idea of taking a QB?

no.  we have a good qb already.

On 11/11/2019 at 3:17 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It depends if Stafford wants to come back or not. I don't know his finances but I think his injury may be more serious than we know about. Broken back bones? Yeah, find a franchise QB in the 5th round or so...lol

On 11/11/2019 at 3:17 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Of course, we can count on the  SOL Lions course of events to be that the Lions draft Tua, whose hip  ends up ending his career 3wks into his 1st training camp, while Stafford goes on to the playoffs with another team for 5 consecutive yrs.

If Tua never got injured I would've been fine taking him or Burrow if Chase Young was gone by  our pick.   For starters we don't know what the future holds for Stafford, not just because of injuries but just in general.   Sure there are outliers like Brady, Brees, Manning etc. but generally guys get worse as they get older and the guys I listed were always known for being super accurate which is something that ages well, I don't think Stafford was ever known for his precision.  

Worst case scenario would be Stafford shows that he is completely healthy next year and continues to play at a high level and Tua/Burrow sits for a couple years in the "Aaron Rodgers" role and we either have our QB situation set for the next decade if we keep him or we have arguably the most sought after trade chip in football in Tua/Burrow a year or 2 from now.  

Of course this is all hypothetical cause with the Tua injury that option is out the window for me, I don't want to mess with a guy with that serious of hip injury.   

Edit: I should say that is also assuming no team would be willing to give us a ransom to trade up for our pick.   

given the talent situation on the lions, their best case scenario is to broom Quinn and Patricia, then -- assuming they finally find a GM who knows how to draft, trade Stafford for as many picks or young players as possible. It just seems increasingly unlikely there is any way the Lions can be competitive in what is left of Stafford's career. They are looking at two  good drafts just to get back to where they were when they hired Quinn.

52 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If Tua never got injured I would've been fine taking him or Burrow if Chase Young was gone by  our pick.   For starters we don't know what the future holds for Stafford, not just because of injuries but just in general.   Sure there are outliers like Brady, Brees, Manning etc. but generally guys get worse as they get older and the guys I listed were always known for being super accurate which is something that ages well, I don't think Stafford was ever known for his precision.  

Worst case scenario would be Stafford shows that he is completely healthy next year and continues to play at a high level and Tua/Burrow sits for a couple years in the "Aaron Rodgers" role and we either have our QB situation set for the next decade if we keep him or we have arguably the most sought after trade chip in football in Tua/Burrow a year or 2 from now.  

Of course this is all hypothetical cause with the Tua injury that option is out the window for me, I don't want to mess with a guy with that serious of hip injury.   

Edit: I should say that is also assuming no team would be willing to give us a ransom to trade up for our pick.   

the odds are that neither tua nor burrows will ever be as good as stafford.  you have a great qb now, dont waste a top 5 pick on another qb when you desperately need help at other positions.

• Like 1

the caveat being stafford's health.  if his back injury is career threatening, you have to be open to picking a qb.

The undrafted QB always looks better than the one you have. No need to draft a QB if Stafford is healthy. If anything, the Lions should trade out of that pick if a QB is available and another team wants him. I'll take my chances that he won't be the next Mahomes.

The argument isn't so much that either QB would be better than Stafford it's about the value they have vs. lesser prospects that fill needs.  Those same odds that neither QB will be better than Stafford would say that any DE drafted likely won't be any better than Flowers, or any tackle will only be marginally better than what Decker has given us. 

By all accounts before the injury the 4 guys ranked head and shoulders ahead of everybody else were Burrows, Tua, Young and Jeurdy.   I'd take Young for sure if he was there, not sure the need for WR, so if it came down to taking a lesser prospect at a position of need or a potential generational QB I'm going to take the QB at this point.   

It just gives the team so much more flexibility vs. getting a potential marginal upgrade someplace else.    If Stafford comes back fine next year and continues to perform at a high level great now you have 2 potentially great QBs, you could get a King's Ransom for either of them.  If he is worse off than we think and he either is too injured to play or just struggles because of the injury we have a fallback option and hope for the future.   

Again though under my scenario this is taking alot of things into account, this is assuming that the Lions have the QBs ranked a tier above the other possibilities and/or no other options totally break out from now,  Young is off the board and no trade options are available.   So a ton of what ifs,  but either way I am 99% certain this won't happen so it's all hypothetical anyway.