Jump to content

kdog

10/20 Vikings at Lions 1PM

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I still don’t get it.  
 

Diggs has played in 4 and a half games and sure he’s been off his past level.  Maybe even this is something they noticed during the off-season and camp.  Still, he’s a young player and team captain coming off a pro bowl caliber season last year.   There’s still value in this guy. I think that’s worth more than a 5th round pick during the season.  (technically worse than a 5th since we threw in a 7th too).

It’s not like Will Harris play has forced this move. He has been ok but certainly not so fantastic that he’s better than Diggs now. 
 

I don’t believe they’ve thrown in the towel for the season but back to back division losses and GB sitting 6-1 means the wild card is really their only shot.   Guess what, Seattle is a team that are competing with for that spot.  They just gave the Seahawks a player to improve on what they currently have and Quinn got nothing in return to help them this year.    
 

As for cap savings that is nice in the long run.   I like the 3.5M next year and 7M in 2021 coming off the books but did this move had to be done now to get that savings? I don’t know the fine print of NFL cap rules but I’d like to know if the numbers are the same if they traded him after the season.  

Snacks was worth a 5th rounder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, NYLion said:

They save very little money this year so it's definitely not a salary cap move for this season.

I get that they like Harris but did they really need to rush him in to the starters role now? It's not like he's killing it in a limited role. Apparently he fits the scheme better but didn't Diggs fit the scheme last year when he had a breakout season. Why did they commit 3 years to a player who they deem not a schematic fit?

The timing of it doesn't make sense, I don't know why they felt the need to make the trade NOW in the middle of a season in which they aren't out of a playoff race (I think they pretty much are but the team shouldn't). Is trading a 7th for a very low 5th rounder (essentially a 6th) really worth it? What message does this send to the locker room when you trade away one of the beloved team leaders in the middle of a playoff race? 

I have no problem with them trading Diggs. I just don't know why it had to be done now.

“The timing doesn’t make sense.” Yes it does. The trade deadline is in one week. Your starting RB just went on IR. If there is any hope of fixing the RB rotation, you need trading chips and cap space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Snacks was worth a 5th rounder. 

I’m not seeing the connection.   The Giants were 1-6 and starting a large rebuild.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not seeing the connection.   The Giants were 1-6 and starting a large rebuild.    

So? Giants are starting a rebuild, so they don’t care what return they get for their players? “Hey NFL! We are bad! And we want to get worse by getting less than market value for our players!”

No. 

There is a market for players and picks.

We as fans think the players on our team are worth more in terms of draft picks than GMs do. 

GMs factor in things like salary cap hit when they value players against draft picks. Fans don’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping Diggs on the roster is better value for this team right now than trading him for a 5th rounder.   They also helped a team they are competing with for a playoff spot.  
 

Also, according to Sporttrac:  the Lions were $15m under the cap prior to this move.  They had plenty of cap money to go out and add a running back if they wanted.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Keeping Diggs on the roster is better value for this team right now than trading him for a 5th rounder. 

Says you. But if they don’t think he’s very good, and he’s leading the team in missed tackles, let the Seahawks have him. 

Also, there are now rumors that maybe he wasn’t “buying in.”

Let’s remember that the Patriots have been great for a generation because they have made thousands of decisions like this to improve their roster at the margins... and one turned into a HOF QB  

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/attempting-to-make-sense-of-the-lions-decision-to-trade-quandre-diggs/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

“The timing doesn’t make sense.” Yes it does. The trade deadline is in one week. Your starting RB just went on IR. If there is any hope of fixing the RB rotation, you need trading chips and cap space. 

What worthwhile running back are they getting for a very low 5th?

If they get a starting running back with that pick I'll eat my words, but I suspect that I'll remain hungry after the trade deadline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So Kerryon will miss at least 8 games this year and 6 last year.    Missing AT LEAST 14 out of 32 games.  I don't care how good he is - thats a bust for the 2nd round.....................AGAIN !

How many games did Stafford play his first two seasons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NYLion said:

What worthwhile running back are they getting for a very low 5th?

If they get a starting running back with that pick I'll eat my words, but I suspect that I'll remain hungry after the trade deadline.

The Eagles picked up Jay Ajayi for a fourth rounder, and he helped them win a Super Bowl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

The Eagles picked up Jay Ajayi for a fourth rounder, and he helped them win a Super Bowl. 

There's a difference between a 4th and 5th rounder, a 5th rounder that will be low 5th round. We'll see what Quinn has in store because on the surface, the trade right now doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NYLion said:

There's a difference between a 4th and 5th rounder, 

“Ackshually...”

No, really, that’s a great argument. Wait here while I go tell all my friends, then you can elaborate some more on the differences between the fourth and fifth round. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buddha said:

if diggs was playing poorly why not trade him?

the question is whether they thought he was salvageable, and if you dont think he's salvageable, then 1) why did you give him a big contract extension only one year ago, and 2) what does that say about your coaching staff that they cant help a guy who you thought was pretty damn valuable only one year ago?

 

I watched a LB for the #1 defense in the league scoop up a fumble and return it for a TD the other night. Yes, it was called back but he was still credited with a fumble recovery. Oh, his name? Kyle Van Noy. The Lions brain trust had no idea what they had so they just gave him away. Instead of using the players you have, just bring in different players. Using talented players in the wrong system is like trying to force round pegs into square holes. It's much better to bring in less talented players. That way when you lose, you can't blame the coaches. Just blame the players for lack of talent. The Detroit Lions are the worst run franchise is all of sports, it's not even close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yoda said:

How many games did Stafford play his first two seasons?

????

Seriously?? How many games did Jahvid Best miss his first 2 years? It still means nothing, but at least you're comparing the same position. Even though it still makes zero sense. Or....were you just joking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yoda said:

How many games did Stafford play his first two seasons?

Two things

1 - Running back is a much different dynamic where you are brought in to make contact most of the time

2 - Stafford did not have an injury history coming into the league.  

Running backs don't last long typically.....................

Go get Duke Johnson.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

????

Seriously?? How many games did Jahvid Best miss his first 2 years? It still means nothing, but at least you're comparing the same position. Even though it still makes zero sense. Or....were you just joking?

I;'m just saying everyone called Stafford a bust and said he was "made of glass" his 2nd year as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I;'m just saying everyone called Stafford a bust and said he was "made of glass" his 2nd year as well. 

I'm not saying Kerryon is made of glass at all.   But he is injury prone and that's a tough position to succeed at when one is injury prone.   You are either getting hit as a ball carrier or delivering at hit as a blocker most every play....................

And the Stafford made of glass comments were ridiculous when you see the kind of hits that knocked him out of the game.    You will rarely see a QB get hit as hard as Peppers hit Stafford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I watched a LB for the #1 defense in the league scoop up a fumble and return it for a TD the other night. Yes, it was called back but he was still credited with a fumble recovery. Oh, his name? Kyle Van Noy. The Lions brain trust had no idea what they had so they just gave him away. Instead of using the players you have, just bring in different players. Using talented players in the wrong system is like trying to force round pegs into square holes. It's much better to bring in less talented players. That way when you lose, you can't blame the coaches. Just blame the players for lack of talent. The Detroit Lions are the worst run franchise is all of sports, it's not even close.

Van Noy is just as bad on New England as he was on Detroit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Van Noy is just as bad on New England as he was on Detroit.

Tell me more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Van Noy is just as bad on New England as he was on Detroit.

?????

A Homer attitude. If he wasn't any good, New England wouldn't have traded for him or kept him. Detroit has never been any good at evaluating or developing talent. New England is good at both.  But keep defending the inept Lions, somebody has to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

“Ackshually...”

No, really, that’s a great argument. Wait here while I go tell all my friends, then you can elaborate some more on the differences between the fourth and fifth round. 

I said I'll eat my words if Quinn picks up a running back with that "very low 5th" and you came back with "The Eagles picked up Ajayi with a 4th and won the superbowl" so I'd say that my response was appropriate just in case you didn't understand that a 5th is not a 4th.  The More You Know....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

?????

A Homer attitude. If he wasn't any good, New England wouldn't have traded for him or kept him. Detroit has never been any good at evaluating or developing talent. New England is good at both.  But keep defending the inept Lions, somebody has to.

Van Noy has graded below average since going to New England.

Speaking of homer attitudes, I'm not the one acting like Diggs was actually good this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Van Noy has graded below average since going to New England.

You sure about that?   PFF has him rated very highly this season and he was one of the highest rated defensive players in the postseason last year.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...