Jump to content

kdog

10/20 Vikings at Lions 1PM

Recommended Posts

Get the **** out of here with Stafford and his passion on the field. This is the same guy that forced himself onto the field with a separated shoulder in a meaningless game in a lost season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

And yet somebody thinks we'll sweep the Bears because they looked bad yesterday. Yes, there will be a sweep,  it will just be them sweeping us. The only division game I think we may have a shot at is game 16, at home against Green Bay. IF they're resting players for the playoffs.

To be fair, the Bears looked terrible on offense all year. They only beat Denver because they were bailed out by a bad penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sabretooth said:

It doesn't matter in the context of this discussion.

The question isn't what city gets the Super Bowl credit.

The question is whether the Lions are the last existing NFL team that existed during the first Super Bowl that has not appeared in one.

The answer is "yes", because the Browns were an expansion team after the first Super Bowl.  The franchise that was in existence during the 1st Super Bowl moved to Baltimore and won there...just like the Cardinals Super Bowl victory eliminated them from the list even though they moved to Arizona.

The current Browns team is not an expansion team according to the NFL. The Baltimore Ravens are considered an expansion team according to the NFL. The NFL recognizes no history of the Ravens franchise prior to Baltimore. It was part of the agreement when the Browns "moved" to Baltimore. The team would leave all history behind in Cleveland and Cleveland would be given a new franchise which would retain all of it's past history. The Baltimore Ravens recognize no history from the Cleveland days. The answer is technically yes, the Cleveland Browns did exist during the first Super Bowl and have never played in a Super Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stafford completed 30 of 45 passes yesterday for 364 yards and four TDs. How often does a QB throw for four TDs and lose?

His “star” RB had five carries before leaving with an injury. The leading RB in carries yesterday was a sixth round rookie. 

He threw a late pick trying to dig out of a two score hole his defense left him in. 

Minnesota has a better roster, and they are hot now, and Detroit is still decimated by injuries on the DL, with Slay still hobbled as well. And Minnesota took care of the football — no TOs, no sacks allowed. Detroit’s defense looks a lot better when they are forcing fumbles. 

I suspect Detroit will look a lot better against NYG, OAK, WAS, DEN, and TB — but if not, say goodnight. Wins against these teams would get them to 7-3-1. 

That leaves two against the Bears, one more against GB and MIN, and one (at home) against DAL. Wins in 3 of 5 would almost certainly get them to playoffs. Wins in 2 might, depending on how things shake out. 

Just win the games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stafford played every bit as well as Cousins. Only difference was Cousins had Dalvin Cook running over the Lions defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

To be fair, the Bears looked terrible on offense all year. They only beat Denver because they were bailed out by a bad penalty.

The Bronco's just needed to play better.  Can't leave it in the hands of the refs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RedRamage said:

The Bronco's just needed to play better.  Can't leave it in the hands of the refs.

Denver winning or losing the game is really irrelevant. It's the fact the Bears were down late to an inferior team. Their offense is not very good. They simply aren't going to run away from teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snap counts:

Injury limited Slay to 25% of snaps, and Snacks to 42%. 

Evidently coaching decisions limited Trey Flowers to 47%. I thought he was supposed to be a run stopping DE as well as a pass rusher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Denver winning or losing the game is really irrelevant. It's the fact the Bears were down late to an inferior team. Their offense is not very good. They simply aren't going to run away from teams.

I know... it was just a passive aggressive shot at people who don't think the refs robbed the Lions in the Packers game.  And yes, I'm a very petty individual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Get the **** out of here with Stafford and his passion on the field. This is the same guy that forced himself onto the field with a separated shoulder in a meaningless game in a lost season.

Oh I agree. And the play you're talking about was before he even made a name for himself. The guy is tough, there's no doubting that. How much more of this losing can he take though? It seems like it would take a toll on a player like him who leaves it all on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I know... it was just a passive aggressive shot at people who don't think the refs robbed the Lions in the Packers game.  And yes, I'm a very petty individual.

Yes, the refs blew a few calls, all in Green Bay's favor. But settling for field goals (4 times??) is what cost the Lions the most. Those penalties would hardly be remembered if we had won, which we should have. Red zone offense issues has hurt many teams throughout the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1980.  I have vague memories of “Another One Bites The Dust” and the 4-0 start but the Dave Williams game on Thanksgiving Day is my earliest specific Lions memory.    
 

Looking back on it, that’s really the ideal first moment for a lifetime of Lions fandom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Denver winning or losing the game is really irrelevant. It's the fact the Bears were down late to an inferior team. Their offense is not very good. They simply aren't going to run away from teams.

Yes, the Bears are beatable. The OC would need to develop a game plan of 3 step drop, quick passes. And off tackle plays to keep their over pursuit in check. I'm just not sure if the Lions coaches can come with that game plan or if he has the players to execute it. But the Bears weak link is their offense. They have very good special teams. And  a deep drop, long 3rd and down play is either a sack, sack-fumble or an interception. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The current Browns team is not an expansion team according to the NFL. The Baltimore Ravens are considered an expansion team according to the NFL. The NFL recognizes no history of the Ravens franchise prior to Baltimore. It was part of the agreement when the Browns "moved" to Baltimore. The team would leave all history behind in Cleveland and Cleveland would be given a new franchise which would retain all of it's past history. The Baltimore Ravens recognize no history from the Cleveland days. The answer is technically yes, the Cleveland Browns did exist during the first Super Bowl and have never played in a Super Bowl.

Naturally, I acknowledge that the line of reasoning exists, but of course I disagree with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first Lions memory was the 10-6 season of 1993 when they were splitting starting time between Erik Kramer and Rodney Pete at QB and the Big Buck Wayne Fontes looked like an offensive genius with the Run & Shoot offense. Barry was at the top of his game in 1993 as well.

Unfortunately, that was also the season this happened . . .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 9:22 AM, Buddha said:

btw, the pats defense sure does look good without patricia running it (caveat, it helps to play miami and buffalo and the jets twice a year).

Their schedule has been a joke, Jets twice, Dolphins, Redskins. I can't ever recall such a soft schedule to start the season, even the Bills while a decent team are far from 5-1 good. The Patriots are good but people are throwing up comparisons to the 2007 Patriots and I don't think there's any comparison.

With that said, they are getting a free pass to the Superbowl this year. The Chiefs aren't beating them in Foxboro (Will Mahomes even be 100% this year?) and what else is there in that conference? The Colts are arguably the 2nd best team in the AFC, let that sink in for a minute. Would they even be a playoff team in the NFC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, there are no "easy" games for the Lions. They could easily lose to 2 or more of the so called "lesser" teams in that stretch. The Oakland and Denver road games won't be easy for sure.

Considering how tough the NFC is this year, I think the season is pretty much over already to be quite honest. Since the division is out of play, who are they going to overtake for the wild card? I don't see how 2 of Green Bay, Minnesota, San Fran, Rams and Seahawks don't take the wild cards. The Lions will have to go 10-5-1 to make the playoffs IMO and do any of you see them going 7-2 the rest of the way? It's possible I suppose but nothing in their play suggests that they are capable of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Also, there are no "easy" games for the Lions. They could easily lose to 2 or more of the so called "lesser" teams in that stretch. The Oakland and Denver road games won't be easy for sure.

Considering how tough the NFC is this year, I think the season is pretty much over already to be quite honest. Since the division is out of play, who are they going to overtake for the wild card? I don't see how 2 of Green Bay, Minnesota, San Fran, Rams and Seahawks don't take the wild cards. The Lions will have to go 10-5-1 to make the playoffs IMO and do any of you see them going 7-2 the rest of the way? It's possible I suppose but nothing in their play suggests that they are capable of that.

This is exactly how I feel. It will take 10 wins in the NFC this year to make the playoffs and I don't see this team getting to 10 wins. I think the debate now becomes, once again, just how bad could things get. If things do go bad, how bad does it have to get for the coaching staff and front office to be fired?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This is exactly how I feel. It will take 10 wins in the NFC this year to make the playoffs and I don't see this team getting to 10 wins. I think the debate now becomes, once again, just how bad could things get. If things do go bad, how bad does it have to get for the coaching staff and front office to be fired?

I think Patricia might be safe for another year as long as it doesn't get TOO bad but for Quinn? 4 years in with zero playoff wins and the only appearance being with Caldwell? I still don't think he gets fired but he'll be on the hot seat.  I think both get another year unless the team wins only 4-5 games or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Also, there are no "easy" games for the Lions. They could easily lose to 2 or more of the so called "lesser" teams in that stretch. The Oakland and Denver road games won't be easy for sure.

Considering how tough the NFC is this year, I think the season is pretty much over already to be quite honest. Since the division is out of play, who are they going to overtake for the wild card? I don't see how 2 of Green Bay, Minnesota, San Fran, Rams and Seahawks don't take the wild cards. The Lions will have to go 10-5-1 to make the playoffs IMO and do any of you see them going 7-2 the rest of the way? It's possible I suppose but nothing in their play suggests that they are capable of that.

The Lions have had stretches this year where they look really good. The first 3/4 against Arizona, the first quarter in Green Bay and parts of the San Diego and Philly games. The problem, IMHO, is the coaching. On offense, going into a shell and taking their foot off the gas has killed them. Having very little run game success only magnifies this problem, they can't use the clock to their advantage with a lead. And on defense, the constant man to man coverage with no blitzing and no QB pressure has been their undoing. Keeping everything in front of you seems like a good idea, not many teams can sustain a drive without penalties or turnovers. But the Minnesota game shows what can happen when a team executes plays without those issues. Our front office and coach are a team and if it's not working, they may both have to go. Too much loyalty, at certain times, can be a bad thing. I guess the owner of this team has to understand that losing isn't acceptable.  Something she may never, ever, understand. Not as long as they're making money. Compare Ford to Jerry Jones. Do you think he would accept the inept way this team has been run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I think Patricia might be safe for another year as long as it doesn't get TOO bad but for Quinn? 4 years in with zero playoff wins and the only appearance being with Caldwell? I still don't think he gets fired but he'll be on the hot seat.  I think both get another year unless the team wins only 4-5 games or something like that.

Quinn and Patrica probably stay and go together in my estimation. If this is another 6 or fewer win season then I want them both gone at season's end. If they manage to win 7-8 games and look really competitive from here on out I probably wouldn't complain if they got one more year, I suspect most fans wouldn't either. If the season does go off a cliff and they both still return, then I think the organization is going to catch much deserved **** from the fan base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...