kdog

10/20 Vikings at Lions 1PM

The linebackers and a majority of the defensive line are bad. None of them are any good at rushing the passer.  The Lions now rushes 0 and hopes the offense makes a mistake.

48 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Amazingly, that is my first clear memory of listening to or watching a Lions game on radio/TV too (I had attended a Chargers-Lions game at the Silverdome a year or two before). I was listening to Bob Reynolds on my parents' car radio. We were driving around on various Sunday errands, maybe Christmas shopping because I believe it was very late in the season. I heard the blocked punt and got pretty excited. All downhill since then.

Update: Just found a link to a story about it. December 11, 1977.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Thompson_(American_football)

Update 2: Found a link to the score of the Chargers-Lions game I attended. I remember the 20-0 score, a Lions victory. But wasn't the year before the blocked punt, it was just a month earlier, November 6, 1977.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_San_Diego_Chargers_season

First Lions game I ever attended was the Monday Night Eric Hipple game vs. The Bears..........Without looking it up, was it 48-17 or something like that? 

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

So the Rams Super Bowl wins were actually for Los Angeles and not for St. Louis?

It doesn't matter in the context of this discussion.

The question isn't what city gets the Super Bowl credit.

The question is whether the Lions are the last existing NFL team that existed during the first Super Bowl that has not appeared in one.

The answer is "yes", because the Browns were an expansion team after the first Super Bowl.  The franchise that was in existence during the 1st Super Bowl moved to Baltimore and won there...just like the Cardinals Super Bowl victory eliminated them from the list even though they moved to Arizona.

3 hours ago, jb84 said:

I do. YOU should. She had a benign tumor causing vertigo. It was removed successfully and she has fully recovered.

Allow me to divert for a moment and just say that I think Matt Stafford is one very lucky man to be married to someone like Kelly.  I read the articles and saw the shows with the two of them, and saw the letter she wrote him, and it really is very touching to me to see how much she reveres and loves Matt on a personal and spiritual level.  She seems like a fabulous lady, and he seems to reciprocate her feelings....it makes me want to root for them personally as a couple.  /end gushy post (sorry, back to smashmouth commentary lol).

• Like 1

first lions game i remember was from 81.  they needed to beat the bucs at home in the last game of the season to win the division.

i bet you know what happened even if you dont remember the game.

33 minutes ago, Buddha said:

first lions game i remember was from 81.  they needed to beat the bucs at home in the last game of the season to win the division.

i bet you know what happened even if you dont remember the game.

There was a song some local guy wrote about that song.........a country song  and I remember the chorus

"The Bucs stop here at our Motor City home, the Lions are unbeaten at the Sil-ver-dome"

Well, they wound up going 7-1 at home that year

I heard some of the post game comments by Stafford and Patricia.    

It just annoys me,  no anger, no fire, just more shoulder shrugging, like always.   I'm not looking for a Bobby Ross meltdown, but I'd like to see a little anger.   

First Lion game I remember watching was the 1970 game in New Orleans when Tom Dempsey kicked a 63 yard field goal at the end of the game. This was the first recorded instance of the NFL making new rules because of a Lions game.

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

There was a song some local guy wrote about that song.........a country song  and I remember the chorus

"The Bucs stop here at our Motor City home, the Lions are unbeaten at the Sil-ver-dome"

Well, they wound up going 7-1 at home that year

I'm hesitant to call out people for not expressing emotion the way I want them too.  Everyone expresses themselves differently and just because I would react a certain way in a certain situation doesn't mean they would as well.

Having said that, I honestly felt like there was just a lack of intensity in the game.  It didn't feel like they played hard and were just beat... it just felt like there wasn't that much heart in the game.  And when there doesn't feel like there's any heart in the post game pressers either, I can't fault someone too much for being upset with that.

Just now, RedRamage said:

I'm hesitant to call out people for not expressing emotion the way I want them too.  Everyone expresses themselves differently and just because I would react a certain way in a certain situation doesn't mean they would as well.

Having said that, I honestly felt like there was just a lack of intensity in the game.  It didn't feel like they played hard and were just beat... it just felt like there wasn't that much heart in the game.  And when there doesn't feel like there's any heart in the post game pressers either, I can't fault someone too much for being upset with that.

I'm just tired of Ho-Hum Stafford.   Monotone............. nothing...............I don't care about his 40,000 yards, the only number that really matters for him is ZERO, and that's not changing this year and he's not walking away - not with that amount of money on the line.    

stafford shows plenty of fire on the field.  if you think matt stafford is what's wrong with this team, i dont know what games youre watching.  other than last year when he was bad, he's been the main reason the team has won any games.  he's been really good this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

can we talk about quinn's work on the dline?  mike daniels?  damon harrison? trey flowers?  bust bust bust.  

im surprised no one has brought up ed oliver.

The problem is that Detroit isn’t tanking. They’re in purgatory. The historically abysmal franchise graduated from the basement sometime around the turn of the decade and has been floating aimlessly for years. It’s why they fired Jim Caldwell, who was maligned for his perceived inability to get the team to play to its talent. Jim Bob Cooter was similarly seen as a handicap and was ousted this past January. And perhaps now we’re slowly realizing that the problem has been not just the coaches of yesteryear, but the roster, as well.

We’re approaching Bob Quinn’s fifth offseason as the general manager of the Lions and confidence in him and his direction of the team is at an all-time low. And we’ve arrived at this point primarily because of a fixation on the least important element of the game and players who either only serve that function or were taken because of their conduciveness to it. The process has been questionable to this point and he’s running out of people to scapegoat.

It’s easy to point fingers and play the blame game when a team is losing, so you could be forgiven if you believe I’m taking out my frustrations on the highest level. The record will show, however, that I’ve been critical of Quinn almost every step of the way. But, the standings and the scoreboard – which shows a streaky drafting record at positions of secondary and even tertiary importance – aren’t the principle issues maligned herein. It’s the fixation on running the ball and stopping the run.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/21/bob-quinns-problem-a-rant-about-living-in-the-past-in-the-modern-nfl/

Building some kind of run first offense and defense...and you are terrible in both respects.

btw, the pats defense sure does look good without patricia running it (caveat, it helps to play miami and buffalo and the jets twice a year).

10 hours ago, jb84 said:

Stafford is not retiring. Why should he? Very few demands.

This is a punk thing to say. 

You may not like his performance on the field, but he runs out there every Sunday, broken back or not, functioning OL or not, running game or not, and puts his body on the line. 

13 minutes ago, Buddha said:

btw, the pats defense sure does look good without patricia running it (caveat, it helps to play miami and buffalo and the jets twice a year).

It’s a big caveat, and it’s the Lions luck to finally be decent when they find themselves in the toughest division in football. 

That said, they play some bad teams coming up, and they will get another crack at GB and Minnesota. Season is not over. 

But let’s get Slay healthy. And maybe Hand and Daniels will suit up soon too. 

47 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Buffalo is actually a really good team this year, so it is not business as usual in the AFC East. But point taken, the Pats don't exactly miss Patricia, and unlike Josh McDaniels going to the Colts and then not, didn't fight to keep their guy.

Also, people talk about the schedule being "easier" as we get down the stretch. Considering we bungled the game away against a supposed cakewalk opponent in Arizona, don't Bucs, Giants, Broncos, and Raiders fans have every right to look at the game on the schedule against us and say "thank god, we're playing the lowly Lions who couldn't even beat a rookie QB and HC, that should be a win for us." Don't they deserve the right to look at our game on their schedule and check it off as a win?

After watching out defense turn into a trainwreck and considering the Cardinals game, I don't know that we can consider any of the aforementioned games as wins at this point. That in my mind, adds further credulity to the narrative that the season is over.

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Also, people talk about the schedule being "easier" as we get down the stretch. Considering we bungled the game away against a supposed cakewalk opponent in Arizona, don't Bucs, Giants, Broncos, and Raiders fans have every right to look at the game on the schedule against us and say "thank god, we're playing the lowly Lions who couldn't even beat a rookie QB and HC, that should be a win for us." Don't they deserve the right to look at our game on their schedule and check it off as a win?

After watching out defense turn into a trainwreck and considering the Cardinals game, I don't know that we can consider any of the aforementioned games as wins at this point. That in my mind, adds further credulity to the narrative that the season is over.

I think that's a very fair statement to make.  If the Lions don't want them to think that way, beat 'em.

This was the first SOL game of the year for me.  The rest I could always seem a glimmer of hope or a bright spot or something to look at and say: Yeah, this is a good team.

This one felt like the Vikings just went out there and coached and played better than them top to bottom.

18 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

And yet somebody thinks we'll sweep the Bears because they looked bad yesterday. Yes, there will be a sweep,  it will just be them sweeping us. The only division game I think we may have a shot at is game 16, at home against Green Bay. IF they're resting players for the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Buffalo is actually a really good team this year, so it is not business as usual in the AFC East. But point taken, the Pats don't exactly miss Patricia, and unlike Josh McDaniels going to the Colts and then not, didn't fight to keep their guy.

buffalo's defense is good.   buffalo's offense is god awful.