kdog

10/20 Vikings at Lions 1PM

40 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I agree. But looking at the teams you mentioned? They've all been in Super Bowl with a few of them having multiple appearances.  Well, except Cleveland. But even they have won an NFL Championship more recently than the Lions. We're just a cheap late night talk show joke.

cleveland was 1 minute from the super bowl.  and then they were 1 yard from the super bowl.

the lions have never been close to a super bowl.  ever.

He tackled the receiver when the ball was on its way. 

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Chicago is looking pretty terrible so that could be two wins there. That gets them to 9 wins and just have to beat one of Dallas, Green Bay, or Minnesota to get to 10 wins.

trubisky might look at lot better against the lions defense with how they played today.

6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

cleveland was 1 minute from the super bowl.  and then they were 1 yard from the super bowl.

the lions have never been close to a super bowl.  ever.

They did actually win a couple Super Bowls. I don't care that the NFL doesn't acknowledge the Ravens as the Browns. 

I would be shocked if Stafford did NOT retire after this year

his kids already have one parent with a serious long term health issue

why come back if all you can be is 9-7 if everything goes right?

56 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

We could go down even further.

You know, I wouldn't blame Matthew Stafford one bit if he just walks away after this season. He has to have enough money and after his wifes health scare, I could see him wanting to be with her and his children. Think where the Lions would be if he did quit...right before training camp. 😐

i doubt stafford will retire after this year.  that said, if he did, that would be a very lions thing to happen.  barry, calvin, and then stafford?  only the lions...

• Like 1

Its not like Stafford is beat up like Johnson was. 

9 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Its not like Stafford is beat up like Johnson was. 

Umm, he broke his back last year

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Chicago is looking pretty terrible so that could be two wins there. That gets them to 9 wins and just have to beat one of Dallas, Green Bay, or Minnesota to get to 10 wins.

After every game I've watched,  the Lions will be closer to 5 wins than 10 wins. Which road games do you think they can win again?

They. Can't.  Even. Win. At. Home.

51 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They did actually win a couple Super Bowls. I don't care that the NFL doesn't acknowledge the Ravens as the Browns. 

precisely

is trey flowers really that bad or is it just because the lions are only rushing three?

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

21 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

precisely

So the Rams Super Bowl wins were actually for Los Angeles and not for St. Louis?

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

I would be shocked if Stafford did NOT retire after this year

his kids already have one parent with a serious long term health issue

why come back if all you can be is 9-7 if everything goes right?

Kelly DOES NOT have a serious long term health issue. Where did you see this?

22 minutes ago, Buddha said:

is trey flowers really that bad or is it just because the lions are only rushing three?

Or there was a reason Pats let him go. The #1 D ranked Pats so far

47 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So the Rams Super Bowl wins were actually for Los Angeles and not for St. Louis?

Not the same. The Super Bowl victory is for the Rams franchise. The NFL recognizes the Ravens as an expansion franchise. All the team history prior to their move to Baltimore belongs to the current Cleveland Browns. The current Browns are not considered an expansion franchise. The Rams are the same franchise but moved city to city. The Rams championship in St Louis is still acknowledged by Los Angeles.

49 minutes ago, jb84 said:

Kelly DOES NOT have a serious long term health issue. Where did you see this?

brain tumor, use google

The earliest very clear memory of a Lions game I have was watching the end of a game at the BRAND NEW LAKESIDE MALL Sears in the TV section.   The Lions were playing the BALTIMORE Colts, when Bert Jones was their QB.  It was the end of the game and the Colts were leading 10-7 with about 10 seconds left only having to punt the ball away to end it.   My mom came and got me and said "come on, we need to leave"  When we turned on the radio the announcers were talking about the amazing Lion victory (WR Leonard Thompson blocked the punt and picked it up himself and scored).................That had to be about 1976/77.

When Lakeside Mall was new

When the Colts were in Baltimore and Bert Jones was the QB

Jimmy Carter was President

THEY HAVE ONLY BEEN GOOD ONCE SINCE THEN !     IT'S ASTOUNDING.   

10 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

brain tumor, use google

I do. YOU should. She had a benign tumor causing vertigo. It was removed successfully and she has fully recovered.

22 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

brain tumor, use google

In April she had a serious health issue. I'm not sure I would qualify it as an issue now. 

Stafford is not retiring. Why should he? Very few demands.

This lack of defense is completely mind boggling.  They weren’t nearly this bad last year. and they added Flowers, Coleman, Melvin, Tavai.    It doesn’t make any sense.   I don’t get why they don’t ever blitz and why they can’t stop the run between the tackles.   Too bad they don’t have a Devin Bush or Brian Burns out there helping this dumpster fire of a defense.  

When I play the “I’m not Matthew Stafford but I’m going to pretend to be him for a message board thread” game,  I think that he loves playing football and sees himself doing it until he’s 40.  I also like to imagine that he loves the challenge of trying to take one of the 5 most hapless franchises in all of pro sports and turning them into champions.   I will be shocked if Matthew isn’t GM someday much like a Lynch or Elway.   

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The earliest very clear memory of a Lions game I have was watching the end of a game at the BRAND NEW LAKESIDE MALL Sears in the TV section.   The Lions were playing the BALTIMORE Colts, when Bert Jones was their QB.  It was the end of the game and the Colts were leading 10-7 with about 10 seconds left only having to punt the ball away to end it.   My mom came and got me and said "come on, we need to leave"  When we turned on the radio the announcers were talking about the amazing Lion victory (WR Leonard Thompson blocked the punt and picked it up himself and scored).................That had to be about 1976/77.

When Lakeside Mall was new

When the Colts were in Baltimore and Bert Jones was the QB

Jimmy Carter was President

THEY HAVE ONLY BEEN GOOD ONCE SINCE THEN !     IT'S ASTOUNDING.   

Amazingly, that is my first clear memory of listening to or watching a Lions game on radio/TV too (I had attended a Chargers-Lions game at the Silverdome a year or two before). I was listening to Bob Reynolds on my parents' car radio. We were driving around on various Sunday errands, maybe Christmas shopping because I believe it was very late in the season. I heard the blocked punt and got pretty excited. All downhill since then.

Update: Just found a link to a story about it. December 11, 1977.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Thompson_(American_football)

Update 2: Found a link to the score of the Chargers-Lions game I attended. I remember the 20-0 score, a Lions victory. But wasn't the year before the blocked punt, it was just a month earlier, November 6, 1977.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_San_Diego_Chargers_season

26 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This lack of defense is completely mind boggling.  They weren’t nearly this bad last year. and they added Flowers, Coleman, Melvin, Tavai.    It doesn’t make any sense.   I don’t get why they don’t ever blitz and why they can’t stop the run between the tackles.   Too bad they don’t have a Devin Bush or Brian Burns out there helping this dumpster fire of a defense. 

Don't worry, we were reassured by the likes of Mel Kiper that TJ Hockenson would be Gronk 2.0. Maybe he will be, but right now this defense could use a Burns or Devin Bush for sure.

7 hours ago, jb84 said:

why wait till next season? fire quinn now

I'm still sticking to my game 8 timeframe. If we get to game 8 and it's clear that this team and coaching staff aren't turning the season around and we will miss the playoffs yet again under Quinn's leadership, then it's time for a change. I wouldn't fire either mid-season were I Martha, but I'd have a pretty good idea that at season's end they'd be gone.