kdog

10/20 Vikings at Lions 1PM

We are onto Minnesota...if you have designs on the division I'd say this is important.

So what bizaare confluence of events will occur this week to cause another gut-wrenching loss?

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

So what bizaare confluence of events will occur this week to cause another gut-wrenching loss?

I'm thinking with the game tied in the fourt quarter, the Lions will start to drive towards the Vikings endzone. On a broken play Stafford with start to run for the first down at the 48, but a medical cart will magically -- without a driver-- come on the field and take him out from behind leading to a fumble. The vikings will recover said fumble and 2 plays later kick the game winning field goal. 

10 hours ago, sagnam said:

Mahomes to the Chiefs locker room with a knee injury.

Out for the Green Bay and Vikings game, at least. How lucky for the NFL. Now Discount Double Check Rodgers can win the division, just like the NFL planned.

17 hours ago, sabretooth said:

How long as it been since some obscure, odd rule has been discovered by the Lions?  I'm thinking something like as time is winding down Detroit commits some penalty with the Vikings needing to go 70 yards, but then: "...by rule, the Vikings are allowed to accept the penalty or they can attempt a 50 yard FG, which they have elected to do." 

17 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Kirk Cousins will actually have a good game.

32 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Kirk Cousins will actually have a good game.

He actually had a good game last week. Let's put an end to that!

This is a bad matchup for the Lions. Cook is going to shred them apart and the Vikings blitz looks always gives Stafford trouble. The Vikings usually batter the Lions in the trenches so I'm feeling a loss here.

The Lions have a new offensive coordinator. They will know how to game plan around the Vikings blitz. The Lions also don't stack the box with safeties to stop the run. They have played some great QBs. You may see them blitz Cousins more and stack the box more than the other QBs they played.

Mahomes MRI came back as a "best case scenario", I'm sure he's still going to miss this weeks game against the Packers but maybe he'll be back next week against the Vikings.  If not he surely should be back for the Bears game in late November.   

Edit: Check that, after doing more research about his injury he will surely miss the Vikings game as well even despite the MRI coming back good.   It's a more severe type of injury than I thought. 

28 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions have a new offensive coordinator. They will know how to game plan around the Vikings blitz. The Lions also don't stack the box with safeties to stop the run. They have played some great QBs. You may see them blitz Cousins more and stack the box more than the other QBs they played.

We'll see. This is where they need to utilize the screen game and their tight ends who haven't been utilized nearly enough the last few weeks. The best way to beat an aggressive defense is by getting the ball out quickly and take advantage of the few guys they have in coverage.

We'll see if they stack the box but I don't think it's likely since Patricia likes the coverage heavy scheme. We'll see if he can adapt. Cousins might have had a poor start to the season but the Vikings have a ton of offensive weapons (who are healthy unlike the last 3 teams they played) who know how to get open so if they stack the box, it could burn them. The game plan should be to stop the run and pressure Cousins. If the Lions sit back into coverage, it could be a long day.

We know that Cook will pop a long one on a Davis over pursue.  Hopefully it won’t go for a touchdown but I don’t see anyone catching him from behind.   Kyle Rudolph has been a bit of an afterthought this year but he’s been a Lion killer so they’ve got to keep eyes on him. 

Like MB,  I also think we will see more blitz from the Lions.  Cousins isn’t as good as the other QBs faced and is least mobile with the exception of Rivers.  It would make sense to pressure him more.  Besides,  If you are going to play Davis,  then you need to blitz him often to make up for his mistakes when you don’t.    

I'm just waiting for the crowd's reaction to the first penalty that goes against the Lions whether the penalty is justified or not.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm just waiting for the crowd's reaction to the first penalty that goes against the Lions whether the penalty is justified or not.

Yeah, that's not going to be pretty. Especially if it comes on a Lions scoring play or on a 3rd and long for the Vikings, giving them an undeserved 1st down. I really see the Lions taking their frustrations out on the Vikings. It very well could be a Lions blowout win.

I'm not sure what to make of the Vikings. In one game they look like Super Bowl contenders, in another they look terrible. I feel the Lions are capable of beating anybody. If they are a playoff contender, this is a game they must win.

• Like 1

This will be a tough one for the Lions. The pass rush is putrid, giving Cousins lots of time and I'm not sure they can stop Vikes run. But, a win and 3-2 would give some hope for the season.

On 10/18/2019 at 12:00 PM, NYLion said:

This is a bad matchup for the Lions. Cook is going to shred them apart and the Vikings blitz looks always gives Stafford trouble. The Vikings usually batter the Lions in the trenches so I'm feeling a loss here.

Us Against The World attitude, play mad, take it out on the Queens. Rebound game?

These home division games are must wins. This one's pretty big. Lose, and they're in a tough division hole. Win, and they at least keep pace. I'm feeling a desperation win, NY

Lions 23

Vikings 21

Still too many FGs from the Lions but the lack of weird AF rhythmic clapping in the stands and having Kirk Cousins as their QB dooms the Vikes.  

Dear Detroit Lions,

Score touchdowns when you are in the red zone and don't worry about the officials.

Your Fans