Motor City Sonics

35 Years Ago tonight

On 10/15/2019 at 11:49 AM, Oblong said:

that's how I feel... after beating the Yankees and going up 3-0 on Oakland the WS seemed a foregone conclusion.

But beating the Yankees was so so good... we had the huge letdown of not winning the division and then getting smoked in game 1 against the Yankees and the drama after game 2 being postponed and there being indications the Yankees found out before the Tigers (Verlander started to warm up).  But the great pitching performances by Kenny Rogers, Bonderman, and Zumaya after stealing game 2 was probably the biggest event for the post 84 Tiger run in my opinion.  Better than Magglio's HR.  I'd also put Scherzer coming out of the bullpen against Oakland on that list.

I was too young to remember 84 so beating the Yankees in 06 is the closest I've come to a WS.

It's funny I really don't remember hardly anything about the 06 or 12 WS especially 2012. I remember game 1 and Miggy striking out in game 4 but I can't remember anything in between.  It's weird it's like I blocked it out or something. 

I was young but remember parts of the '72 alcs vs Oakland.  Too young to recall '68

On 10/15/2019 at 11:49 AM, Oblong said:

that's how I feel... after beating the Yankees and going up 3-0 on Oakland the WS seemed a foregone conclusion.

But beating the Yankees was so so good... we had the huge letdown of not winning the division and then getting smoked in game 1 against the Yankees and the drama after game 2 being postponed and there being indications the Yankees found out before the Tigers (Verlander started to warm up).  But the great pitching performances by Kenny Rogers, Bonderman, and Zumaya after stealing game 2 was probably the biggest event for the post 84 Tiger run in my opinion.  Better than Magglio's HR.  I'd also put Scherzer coming out of the bullpen against Oakland on that list.

I was at game three vs the Yankees. I remember when buying the tickets and assuming it would be game one vs Oakland. Then when they lost the division, I assumed I would be watching the one and only playoff game in Detroit in 19 years. I went to other playoff games after and the atmosphere just wasn't the same.

As far Ordonez HR, I was working at Kmart at the time. Smartphones weren't out by then so I couldn't easily keep score. I believe the Tigers were down 3-0 when I left for work. I got a text the game was tied 3-3 in the 9th. I went over to the electronics department and turned one of the TV's to the game. It was right around the time Monroe got on base. I stayed and watched through the Ordonez HR. I distinctly remember the song that was playing in the store at the time of the HR was the Rascal Flatts version of Life is a Highway. I get chills everytime I hear that song. 

I was actually following the Michigan/Penn St game closer than I was the Tigers that night since we were up 3-0.  I did manage to see the Maggs HR though. 

11 hours ago, leflore said:

I was young but remember parts of the '72 alcs vs Oakland.  Too young to recall '68

My only memory from that series was when Bert Campaneris threw his bat at Lerrin LaGrow.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

My only memory from that series was when Bert Campaneris threw his bat at Lerrin LaGrow.

Yes, one of my earliest mlb memories!

On 10/19/2019 at 7:11 AM, leflore said:

Game 5 of the '72 ALCS was peak "bleacher creatures" at Tiger Stadium.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:06 PM, Tenacious D said:

Holy ********, Joe Schultz is in there.

ah **** ****

or was it **** ****

Pound those budweisers

It was either ******** or ********, one word over two to demonstrate the seriousness of the situation.

I miss managers like Billy Martin (and Earl Weaver, Sparty, Whitey Herzog) who were old school and fiery.  I can't imagine a manager today who would need to be held back from going ape ****.

Even when Gardenhire gets tossed, it's incredibly lame.

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I miss managers like Billy Martin (and Earl Weaver, Sparty, Whitey Herzog) who were old school and fiery.  I can't imagine a manager today who would need to be held back from going ape ****.

Even when Gardenhire gets tossed, it's incredibly lame.

It was all for show...Except Martin who was insane.  I agree it was entertaining though.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

It was all for show...Except Martin who was insane.  I agree it was entertaining though.  

You think so?  Not about Martin, but the for show thing.

30 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

You think so?  Not about Martin, but the for show thing.

I think they put on a show for their players.  I think those tantrums are often timed to try to get their players fired up.  They were probably upset too, but I don't think they completely lose their **** like it seems.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I was at a game that featured one of the worst missed calls of all time, and as a result  got the benefit of a no-holds-barred Billy Martin show.  The second-base umpire was apparently in a direct line with the base and other team's middle infielder -- I think it was the second baseman -- who took a throw, and the umpire called the Tiger baserunner out on a force -- but the infielder was SEVERAL FEET,  LIKE WHAT APPEARED TO BE AT LEAST FOUR OR FIVE FEET,  OFF THE BAG. 

Billy Martin was out of the dugout like a shot, ran to second base in record time, and went full-blown maniac when he got there.  Fun to watch.

I think part of Weaver was definitely show and I miss him. 

NSFW

• Like 1

You've all probably seen this. Definitely NSFW and I'd say 100% show

5 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

I was at a game that featured one of the worst missed calls of all time, and as a result  got the benefit of a no-holds-barred Billy Martin show.  The second-base umpire was apparently in a direct line with the base and other team's middle infielder -- I think it was the second baseman -- who took a throw, and the umpire called the Tiger baserunner out on a force -- but the infielder was SEVERAL FEET,  LIKE WHAT APPEARED TO BE AT LEAST FOUR OR FIVE FEET,  OFF THE BAG. 

Billy Martin was out of the dugout like a shot, ran to second base in record time, and went full-blown maniac when he got there.  Fun to watch.

I was a Martin fan, but he sure could ruin a pitching staff

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Earl ****ing Weaver

Was he related to Bucky ****ing Dent?

I was at the media event during All Star Week in Detroit in 2005. I was sitting on a bench waiting on my wife when this little old man came by and sat near me. It wasn’t until after he left that I realized it was Earl Weaver. Probably a good thing because I would have said something about the 1979 World Series.