Motor City Sonics

35 Years Ago tonight

The last time the Tigers won the World Series was 35 years ago tonight and the also won the 2006 pennant on this date.  

Where were you when the Tigers won the World Series...............talking about the last out

I was across the street at my friend Roger and Rob Waters house  (Yes,  Roger Waters)...........As soon as Herndon caught the ball we got in the car (In Sterling Heights) we went downtown.     Did not get close enough to the car on fire though.    Basically was around Jefferson and Greektown.  

25 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The last time the Tigers won the World Series was 35 years ago tonight and the also won the 2006 pennant on this date.  

Where were you when the Tigers won the World Series...............talking about the last out

I was across the street at my friend Roger and Rob Waters house  (Yes,  Roger Waters)...........As soon as Herndon caught the ball we got in the car (In Sterling Heights) we went downtown.     Did not get close enough to the car on fire though.    Basically was around Jefferson and Greektown.  

I was in Section 108, and Larry Herndon caught the final out right in front of me and then ran like L for the safety of the infield.  And I myself was running on the field just a few seconds later.  Got some turf from the spot where he made the catch, and planted it in my yard.

What a team, what a season, what a day.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  Hard to believe it's been 35 years.

Regarding the burning car, at one point I was close enough to toast a marshmallow on it, if I'd had a marshmallow instead of a strip of sod on my shoulder.  I never again washed the home jersey that I wore to the game.

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

In my mother's womb.  

I was at a Pistons/Cavs exhibition bball game.  My soon to be ex girlfriend bought tickets for my birthday.  Would have broken her ❤ if I insisted on watching baseball at home instead

Wound up doing that two months later any way...so..

Crap

In my parent's living room recouping from ACL and meniscus reconstruction that cost me a great deal. The Tigers were a bright light in a then dark world.

Same living room where I saw #715, learned of Elvis' death and saw Bird steal the damn ball

• Like 1

In 1984 I was 11 and in the living room watching my dad cry.  Too young and naive and stupid to understand what had just happened.

In 2006 I was at a birthday party in a crammed house.  Luckily there was a TV set up outside under a canopy (I guess the cold air made for feeling like I was there?), so I was out there with a couple of other people.  I just laughed hysterically, I probably looked like an idiot.  I couldn't believe what had happened the whole season.  Seeing Polanco skipping around the bases.  My goodness, what a feeling!

10 hours ago, six-hopper said:

I was in Section 108, and Larry Herndon caught the final out right in front of me and then ran like L for the safety of the infield.  And I myself was running on the field just a few seconds later.  Got some turf from the spot where he made the catch, and planted it in my yard.

That is fantastic!  

6 hours ago, sabretooth said:

So unreal...I still get chills.

Hearing Dickeron's call of it still brings a smile to my face.  "The Tigers are going to the World Series!"  Oh, man....

31 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I miss Tiger Stadium.

So do I. Was perhaps my favorite place on earth

11 hours ago, sabretooth said:

So unreal...I still get chills.

I've watched it hundreds of times, including last eve

I think I recall 1984...I was 7.  I recall seeing the final out.  I do not recall much else minus driving with my mom going downtown to pick up my older brother who would have been 15 at the time and I am pretty sure I saw the car fire.  Apparently he was downtown partying and needed a ride.  I am not sure if he was drunk or just got stuck down there, but I vaguely recall being a little nervous going down there with my mom.  I do not think my dad was home, but he could have been.  This all kind of ties into a bigger moment in my life and I am really just piecing this together for the first time as I write this.  I do not recall ever finding him down there, we may have, but I am not sure.  I do not recall a drive home, just the drive out there.

My brother Matt who was downtown back in 1984 subsequently died 15 years ago yesterday.  I never pieced these 2 facts together before and do not really think they are related in any way because he was not a HUGE die hard baseball fan.  He liked baseball, but it is coincidental I think.

He struggled with substance abuse for as long as I can remember before his death.  I shared a bedroom with him when I was just a little kid and recall smelling the liquor sweating off him at night when he would get home.  

I just started thinking about him today and saw this post and recalled the memory of that day and just realized it was almost the same day.

• Like 1

After Game 3 in '84 we were walking back to our car around 5 blocks from the stadium, saw one guy chasing another, the chased guy jumped into an unlocked parked car, the other guy pulled him out of the car and stabbed him once. Then they ran off in opposite directions. All happened in around 20 seconds.

After Game 5, went into my backyard and sprayed our dog with champagne. I still remember the time on the auxilary scoreboard when Herndon caught the final out. 7:41.

• Like 1

I remember the 35-5 start more than he playoffs and World Series.  The Gibson moment was pretty memorable though.  

As for 2006, the Ordonez moment was memorable, but I actually got more excited about them beating the Yankees.  

20 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I remember the 35-5 start more than he playoffs and World Series.  The Gibson moment was pretty memorable though.  

As for 2006, the Ordonez moment was memorable, but I actually got more excited about them beating the Yankees.  

that's how I feel... after beating the Yankees and going up 3-0 on Oakland the WS seemed a foregone conclusion.

But beating the Yankees was so so good... we had the huge letdown of not winning the division and then getting smoked in game 1 against the Yankees and the drama after game 2 being postponed and there being indications the Yankees found out before the Tigers (Verlander started to warm up).  But the great pitching performances by Kenny Rogers, Bonderman, and Zumaya after stealing game 2 was probably the biggest event for the post 84 Tiger run in my opinion.  Better than Magglio's HR.  I'd also put Scherzer coming out of the bullpen against Oakland on that list.

I was with my very best friends in my own living room in Tucson, Arizona watching it on TV and all of us had a Detroit, Ann Arbor, or Tigers connection.

Myself, my friend Jerry whose relatives from Michigan infected him, Kenny and Janet from Ann Arbor — Janet’s sister was married to one of the guys in the MC5 and Iggy Pop attended parties at Kenny’s house — and John The Hippie who grew up in Detroit as did his friend Ace who was mentally ill and on disability. It was a motley crew and God we loved this team. In one way or another we’d all grown up with the Tigers and Ernie.

I had always been a solitary Tigers fan having been raised in Northeast Indiana where the ground is not drenched with Tigers blood. It was so great not to have to explain to uncomprehending fools why this was important. We knew it was important, we knew why, and all we did was relish it.

I was in a hotel room in Edmonton.  I was at a meeting during the day, and afterwards a couple of guys asked me if I wanted to go out for dinner and I said no thanks.  I had to get back to the hotel because the game was starting, there was a 2 hour time difference.  I must have a lucky thing about hotel rooms, I was staying in a motel in Winnipeg for Fidrych's curtain call.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I was on the roof of the Home Plate bar, I was dating a waitress that worked there at the time so got in the back door and up on the roof long after it was at official capacity.   Front row seat to watch all the fools on the street embarrassing the city.

7 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

I also dated a waitress that let me get  in the back door ....

Back door waitresses.

Saw it in 1992

On 10/15/2019 at 10:50 AM, leflore said:

So do I. Was perhaps my favorite place on earth

When it comes to religion, I am an atheist...........the closest thing to a church for me was the cathedral called Tiger Stadium.   Sacred Ground - but I am glad they tore it down rather than let it rot.  It was heartbreaking to see it slowly die.