Deleterious

2019 Preseason Games

2 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I had season tickets for 14 years at the Palace. Once they moved I only went to 1 game.

However, I moved to North Carolina recently, so I'll get a chance to see them play in Charlotte on Nov 15th wearing all my Piston gear.  Looking forward to being the visitor and cheering when everyone else is booing.

Time for the real question.  

If they were still in AH would you have still moved?

33 minutes ago, NYLion said:

There's no way they can justify cutting Wood when he's significantly outplaying Maker and they have a plug like Joe Johnson taking up a contract spot. I know contract status comes into play in these situations but this is common sense really.

I haven't had time to dig into their contracts.  But more than a few people have said they can't afford to cut someone + keep Wood without going over the luxury tax.

Like I said, no clue if that is true or not.  

So with 16 guys on the roster their current salary situation is this.

$134,436,999 in total salary.

Luxury tax this year is $132.6M.

Johnson only has $220K of his deal guaranteed.  Cut him, lose his salary except the $220K, and keep Wood.  You are then at a total of $132,092,246.  

So it looks like that is a viable strategy.  

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I haven't had time to dig into their contracts.  But more than a few people have said they can't afford to cut someone + keep Wood without going over the luxury tax.

Like I said, no clue if that is true or not.  

Is Gores really that worried about going over the luxury tax?  There's other owners (namely OKC) who have gone deep into the luxury tax to keep their team together. Cut Johnson, keep Wood. They have enough "Iso" guys on the roster so "ISO Joe" isn't needed.

Edit: I see that you crunched the numbers so easy decision then. Bye Joe, you had a great career but it's time to hang them up.

16 hours ago, Buddha said:

how does the move from an arena they own to an arena they rent add to the value of the franchise?

The first thought that popped into my mind was, "Well, he can relocate the franchise to another city/state he finds more financially desirable."

How long is the Pistons lease anyway?

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

I had season tickets for 14 years at the Palace. Once they moved I only went to 1 game.

However, I moved to North Carolina recently, so I'll get a chance to see them play in Charlotte on Nov 15th wearing all my Piston gear.  Looking forward to being the visitor and cheering when everyone else is booing.

So you moved to Charlotte so you could see more Pistons games live? :)

I drove through Charlotte during a vacation to South Carolina this summer. I think I may have passed by the stadium while stuck in a traffic jam on the expressway on the way back home (at 10:30 p.m. no less), so I know where the stadium is. Maybe we should meet up for the Pistons game. :)

I'm a bit embarrassed that I haven't been to a game since they left the Palace. I've been to more Pistons games in Milwaukee than LCA.

We are usually in Chicago once or twice during the season.  I always think it would be fun to take in a Pistons game while there.  Then I think why ruin a nice trip to Chicago with a Pistons game.

Hollinger is back writing.  In The Athletic he broke down the Central Division today.

Picked the Pistons 4th behind Milwaukee, Indiana, and Chicago.  34-48 which I think is the lowest win total I have seen predicted.  10th in the east which a lot of people are predicting.

I'm not optimistic about this team.  But these 34-38 win totals seem a bit low.

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Time for the real question.  

If they were still in AH would you have still moved?

Always wanted to get to somewhere warmer, and the fact that I no longer had season tickets made the decision to move a lot easier (obviously alongside many other personal/work factors).

2 hours ago, DTroppens said:

So you moved to Charlotte so you could see more Pistons games live? :)

I actually live in Raligh, but Charlotte is only a few hours away, so the wife and I are grabbing a hotel next to the arena for the night and making a mini-vacation out of it.

I feel like you have to keep Wood even if it means going over the tax.  I think he just has too much upside to let get away.    I'd cut Maker or Galloway and just move on. 

I would guess Johnson or Thomas gets cut.  Those would be the two cheapest ways to go if they want to keep Wood. 

Maker and Galloway don't have much trade value, but both have more than Johnson or Thomas.  So keeping them makes a bit more sense.  Both suck though.

And you want to avoid the tax at all costs.  Too many penalties associated with it, puts you on the path to repeater status, etc.  I like Wood but he isn't the guy you trigger all of that for.

Something to remember.  Being over the tax line now is fine.  The final calculation isn't until the end of the season.  So even if they keep him and are over the tax, they still have all year to make moves to get under it.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I feel like you have to keep Wood even if it means going over the tax.  I think he just has too much upside to let get away.    I'd cut Maker or Galloway and just move on. 

It says a lot about where this franchise is at that it would cut Wood to keep from going over the luxury tax.

and the goal is to be 8th in the east.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

It says a lot about where this franchise is at that it would cut Wood to keep from going over the luxury tax.

and the goal is to be 8th in the east.

Not that I expect Wood to turn into an All Star but I think he has All Star characteristics, he has shown to be able to get his own shot, he has shown to be athletic and being able to score without plays being called for him, he's made some outside's shot so his jumper isn't bad.  I just think he has the POTENTIAL to be a game changer, which is something this org needs, sure it's a long shot but it's there and aside from Sekeio I don't see anybody else on the team that has that potential.

Nick Nurse is obviously not familiar with Stanley's work in the Drew League!

• Like 1

https://theathletic.com/1298747/2019/10/17/projecting-the-pistons-depth-chart-and-their-potential-trade-candidates/

I believe Detroit would rather trade Galloway than Thomas, but Galloway’s $7 million contract, while expiring, is a little tougher to move right now. Also, Galloway has proved to be a more useful player. Thomas’ $1.4 million deal is a little easier to put in a transaction, especially if it’s to a team that is rebuilding or in need of lower-cost, young prospects. Many thought Thomas had first-round potential in 2018 but he slipped to the mid-30s. Someone might be willing to give him a try.

Now, if Thomas is on the roster come opening night, I think Johnson gets cut. I’m told that Detroit does value Johnson’s experience and presence, but if it can’t pull off a trade in time, his on-court value is low enough that the Pistons could cut ties and not miss much in that department. Per a source, Detroit has been making calls, so it seems like the goal is to make room for both Wood and Johnson.

He goes on to say if Jackson is traded, expect Brown to start at PG with Luke at SG.  

38 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

https://theathletic.com/1298747/2019/10/17/projecting-the-pistons-depth-chart-and-their-potential-trade-candidates/

He goes on to say if Jackson is traded, expect Brown to start at PG with Luke at SG.  

Yeah, Summer League was the give away on that.  Coach got him plenty of time at PG and he performed well.  Obviously, that's a far cry from the real league, but I'd take his mistakes and 100% effort over the flailing corpse of Reggie Jackson. It's not like we're headed for greatness this year no matter how you slice it.

The most over-hyped asset in the league is the expiring contract.  Expect to hear Jackson trade rumors all season long.  Even if you don't think anyone wants him.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

The most over-hyped asset in the league is the expiring contract.  Expect to hear Jackson trade rumors all season long.  Even if you don't think anyone wants him.

Especially in an offseason where nobody wants to have cash.

I seem to recall the Piston's poor planning leading to us having cap space in bad off-seasons the last two times as well. Get ready for this year's version of CV + Gordon when we just re-sign Dre + Jackson.