Deleterious

2019 Preseason Games

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

The Pistons have a line drawn on their practice court that is 2 feet further than the 3PT line.  They are not using it for shooting though.  That is where they want their defenders to start picking up their man.

Curry, Lillard, and Harden are licking their chops.

i was previously told that tom gores added value to the pistons?  lol.  gores has added nothing to the pistons except being smart enough to buy them from an owner desperate to sell them.

Stanley Johnson is shooting 10% so far this preseason.  Only 10 attempts, but still.  

He has played 37 minutes in 3 games.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Buddha said:

i was previously told that tom gores added value to the pistons?  lol.  gores has added nothing to the pistons except being smart enough to buy them from an owner desperate to sell them.

His one saving grace is the fact he does seem to want to win.  By that I mean he is more than willing to spend the money.  

All of his moves have been a disaster so far.  But maybe someday he will get lucky and do something right.  

Whoa.  Tom Gores is William Clay Ford.

It's a pay site.  But this guy breaksdown last years worst 3PT shooting teams and grades how things will be this year.

Detroit Pistons: 23rd in 3-point percentage (34.8%), 6th in 3-point rate (39.4%)

Expectation: Mostly stay the same.

The most interesting thing in his breakdown is him saying  he thinks Rose will be the eventual starter at PG.

Tom Gores is someone with basketball card collection knowledge or TV highlight knowledge that finds himself an NBA owner and I think inside his head he thinks he has all the correct answers to all of questions. The only thing that has kept his goal from being achieved is an injury or two every single season he's owned the team.

I will have to admit, since the Pistons moved downtown I haven't been to a single game. The Palace was such an easy trip for me - and once I got on I75 North.

There are plenty of reasons for it (age, different priorities, family activities, work, money, and my own sporting activities based around curling and volleyball) but if the Pistons were still in the Palace I'd be going to at least 2-3 games a year. Before I joined a curling league I used to love the 6 p.m. Sunday games. I could do something during the day, go to the game, enjoy it and be home by 9:30 p.m easily.

43 minutes ago, DTroppens said:

Tom Gores is someone with basketball card collection knowledge or TV highlight knowledge that finds himself an NBA owner and I think inside his head he thinks he has all the correct answers to all of questions. The only thing that has kept his goal from being achieved is an injury or two every single season he's owned the team.

Gores is a private equity guy.  His return on investment in the Pistons has been tremendous despite it being a terrible product.  The move to LCA and the new practice facility are all intended to increase the value of the franchise.  Gores creates the illusion of wanting to win in order to generate fan interest, which in turn generates revenue.

In short - Gores isn't here to win - he's here to cash out at some point in the future, per his private equity business model.

Eh, I don't buy that at all.  The Pistons salary was a few hundred grand from the luxury tax.  All they were required to spend was the salary floor, which was around $91M.  They spent $126M.  

Someone trying to maximize profit wouldn't do that.  He would use the old Donald Sterling model.  A player gets good and is due a big payday, trade him away for young talent and picks.  The Pistons do the exact opposite and overpay their players.  

No Andre tonight.

I need to run a test.  Watch games wearing a blood pressure monitor.  Look at the results for games with and without Andre playing.

Game is on NBA tv for anyone who isn’t local. 

Kennard struggles against athletic teams. Can’t find space and he doesn’t have the quick release of a guy like Korver. 

7 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Gores is a private equity guy.  His return on investment in the Pistons has been tremendous despite it being a terrible product.  The move to LCA and the new practice facility are all intended to increase the value of the franchise.  Gores creates the illusion of wanting to win in order to generate fan interest, which in turn generates revenue.

In short - Gores isn't here to win - he's here to cash out at some point in the future, per his private equity business model.

how does the move from an arena they own to an arena they rent add to the value of the franchise?

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

It's a pay site.  But this guy breaksdown last years worst 3PT shooting teams and grades how things will be this year.

The most interesting thing in his breakdown is him saying  he thinks Rose will be the eventual starter at PG.

From an injury perspective, I’d have concerns. However, it makes sense from the perspective of this being Reggie’s last year. Either you need to trade him and get a second rounder before he walks, in which case Rose starts. Or you know you can’t trade him and then what’s the point of playing him for the future of this franchise? At least Rose will be around next year. 

The really sad part is discussing which of the has been, vet point guards is going to start with no good, young prospect behind them.

At this point, I’d be happy dumping Reggie for a late pick and just living with the pains of starting Brown at PG. At least I’d get 100% effort at all times and wouldn’t have to worry about cross matching to hide my PG on the defensive end. 

The Thon three is starting to make me feel a lot like the Stanley Johnson three. 

So Thomas is the odd man out?  I can't even remember if he has played this preseason.  

Thybulle really punking Kennard a bunch tonight. Luke finally getting a couple shots up but he’s struggling with that athleticism. 

Wood looking solid again. 

2nd half Svi forcing everything and looking terrible as a result. 

Wood really needs to make the team. It’d be a crime if he didn’t. 

There's no way they can justify cutting Wood when he's significantly outplaying Maker and they have a plug like Joe Johnson taking up a contract spot. I know contract status comes into play in these situations but this is common sense really.

Since the Pistons moved downtown I have been to about 4-5 games...the previous 4-5 years at the Palace I had not gone to one single game.

I will most likely go to 2-3 games this year.  If they were still at the palace I would MAYBE go to 1.

I had season tickets for 14 years at the Palace. Once they moved I only went to 1 game.

However, I moved to North Carolina recently, so I'll get a chance to see them play in Charlotte on Nov 15th wearing all my Piston gear.  Looking forward to being the visitor and cheering when everyone else is booing.