Deleterious

2019 Preseason Games

My way too early Christian Wood thoughts.

Good rebounder.  Was a little concerned the first two times he was around the rim, they were very weak attempts.  Third time he went up strong and dunked it.  That was good to see.  

Runs the floor well.  Beat his man down the floor multiple times.  Could be good if Rose is going to push the tempo on the second unit.

Looked a bit lost on defense.  First game together and defense is a team talent, so that isn't that big of a concern just yet.

Like Greg said, he scored 11 points in the first half and not a single play was run for him.  He was all hustle.  

A reporter asked Gores if he is satisfied.  He said he is never satisfied.

So we have that going for us.  Which is nice.

Hard to watch this team.  Not much to look forward to.

Someone on Twitter pointed this out.

At the beginning of the game Blaha said these are similar teams heading in the same spot after last year.

No they aren't.

Orlando made the playoffs last year with a very young squad.  The Pistons did it with vets.  They are two very different teams.

If Blake has another year like he did last year could he fetch some valuable pieces at the deadline? 

Blake has always been talented.  His health was always the question.

The fact he couldn't finish last season healthy didn't do his trade value any favors.

My first three moves if they hired me as GM tomorrow.

1. Move Wood into the starting rotation

2. Trade Drummond

3. Go drinking with Gores

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

My way too early Christian Wood thoughts.

Good rebounder.  Was a little concerned the first two times he was around the rim, they were very weak attempts.  Third time he went up strong and dunked it.  That was good to see.  

Runs the floor well.  Beat his man down the floor multiple times.  Could be good if Rose is going to push the tempo on the second unit.

Looked a bit lost on defense.  First game together and defense is a team talent, so that isn't that big of a concern just yet.

Like Greg said, he scored 11 points in the first half and not a single play was run for him.  He was all hustle.  

I only saw the first half, but I liked what I saw.  He does need some work to smooth out the rough edges, but I like his energy.  He dove into the lane with Griffin off on a wing and it was really nice cut to the basket and score when Griffin dumped it off to him.  He seemed to have some good instincts about him.

I think he showed some of what we (and/or the Pistons) would like out of Thon Maker off of the bench.

As far as the scoring in the first half, I have to wonder if that's how he came about his stats in the last 10 games of last season.  Was it pretty much all hustle?  Granted, the Pelicans were probably just playing out the string at that point, and it was probably a lot of garbage time.  But if he earned that 15/7 off of hustle and grind, its worth the while for the Pistons to try to mold that into something.

James Edwards III has an article at The Atheltic talking about 3 players whos stock is rising and 3 who are falling.

Wood, Svi, and Galloway are rising.

Johnson, Maker, and Thomas are falling.

22 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I'm just here for the overreaction to preseason games.

Here we go!

KPJ had 16 points in 14 minutes on 7-9 shooting.

His explosiveness was never questioned.  But he shot <50% from the field and missed both 3PTA's.  

18 hours ago, Deleterious said:

A reporter asked Gores if he is satisfied.  He said he is never satisfied.

So we have that going for us.  Which is nice.

Whenever they do an interview with Gores during a game (about three times a year with at least one being in LA, the first word that comes to my head is "Tool."  I didn't realize the game was on TV last night, but pleasantly tripped upon it sometime in the second quarter with us already trailing horribly. But it was a preseason game, so big deal. I just wanted to have the "Pistons sounds" back in the house. It also helps mentally prepare the wife for the season as well. But when they popped Gores on the TV for the interview, I kind of lost my "first game innocence" about having the game on. I hope that's the last time I see his face until we have a game in LA.

I have to ask if anyone has started an "office pool" for the following questions.

1) Who will play more games - Rose or Griffin?
2) Will they combine to play at least 100 games this season?
3) Once they are both hurt off and on all season long, how many times will we hear this team would've done better than the 8th seed if they were healthy all year.

I'm guessing by late February, No. 3 will be a great Pistons drinking game.

1 minute ago, DTroppens said:

I have to ask if anyone has started an "office pool" for the following questions.

1) Who will play more games - Rose or Griffin?
2) Will they combine to play at least 100 games this season?
3) Once they are both hurt off and on all season long, how many times will we hear this team would've done better than the 8th seed if they were healthy all year.

I'm guessing by late February, No. 3 will be a great Pistons drinking game.

The owner has a head start on us.

Griffin plays more.

Your 100 game bet is really interesting.  I think I would say over but that is a really tough question.