kdog

October Regular Season Thread

Ericsson out..........that's a shame. 

Difference in Mathna,  he's playing a more reckless and firing from just about anywhere.............keep doing that,  I don't care if his defense is great.  We've got 3 lines of 'defensive' forwards.    Jimmy Howard has bailed out the team defence (not just the defencemen) out several times this year.     Just play aggressively.   If the team is not good, they'll at least be fun to watch. 

Here's the thing - forwards being aggressive in the offensive zone is not that related to being defensibly responsible.

Yeah, it *may* cost you good back checking position on a given play, and that does count for something, so I agree with your statement on that specific point.

The remainder (80%+ IMO) of being a good defensive forward (or being a defensively responsible forward if you prefer) is actively maintaining good d-zone coverage, keeping an active stick, being tough on the boards, and making good decisions on the breakout or otherwise when you gain possession.  This has zero to do with how aggressive someone is in the offensive or neutral zones.

And when it comes down to it, there is no real good reason any forward can't do that 80%+ bit.  It is largely effort.  That is why I have defended (and will defend) Blashill for being strict with young players with regards to earning playing time on this specific point.  I will never have an issue with a coach limiting playing time if effort is lacking in key areas of the ice.  Winning type players work hardest in key areas, and that includes the defensive zone.

EDIT: In retrospect, that is the thing I appreciate most about Blashill.  He is requiring these kids to take their defensive responsibilities seriously.  Whoever comes in next is going to appreciate Jeff for that.

Alternately, being aggressive offensively -> worse defensively correlates much more with defensemen than forwards, but that is far from a perfect correlation either (e.g. Orr).

21 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Alternately, being aggressive offensively -> worse defensively correlates much more with defensemen than forwards, but that is far from a perfect correlation either (e.g. Orr).

not to mention that a Dman who is better at regaining possession in his own end and can make the right outlet pass accurately is still a big help to his wingers' scoring potential even if he never gets that many points directly on those outlets.

That is probably 30% of the job of a D-man.  People think it is crazy when I suggest it, but D-men have to pass better than forwards, if anything.

On every team my sons were on, bar none, defensemen as a group passed better than the forwards, and not coincidentally, the most effective defensemen also were the best passers on the team.

It probably correlated as well as any one thing could in the sport.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That is probably 30% of the job of a D-man.  People think it is crazy when I suggest it, but D-men have to pass better than forwards, if anything.

And  one of the biggest holes in the Wings' game since Lidstrom's retirement. 

These are great points bigs.

A young blue liner can have a great game and all it takes is one ill advised pass or one second of indecision of whether to play a puck or backpedal and the puck is in the back of the net and the game turns into a stinker for them.  

Also correct.  It is why I believe it is harder for a D-man to break in young than a forward.

A mistake a game from a young D hurts a team a lot more than a mistake a game out of a young F.  And the young F upside relative to the person whom he is replacing is probably also greater on most teams.

By that, I mean it is easier to imagine the upside benefit of out performing the 10th, 11th or 12th F is greater than the downside risk of the same young forward turning it over at the blue line a few extra times.  Comparatively it is harder to see the offensive upside of a young D relative to the 6th D at the expense of a few extra turnovers in your own zone.

AA is actually skating today and he will be pulled of the IR...so it looks like that was a bookkeeping move.

Curious to see if AA can do with the 2nd line.  Opposition will focus on Wings top line, so that should give him some extra opportunities.

Wings-Ducks scoreless late in 2nd. Mantha has scored 0 goals tonight- clearly Sunday was a fluke.

Wings score with 5 seconds left in the period on a 6 on 5 delayed penalty call. Wings were all over it - Ducks players looked flat footed in their own zone. Hronek from AA and Larkin.

I walked in the door 2 minutes ago and have seen the Ducks score twice to take a 3-1 lead. I should turn around and walk back out the door before it is too late.

Mantha goal called back on offside.  Ducks take 2-1 lead shortly after. 

I just don’t care for the offside challenge.  Some of the goals they are calling back isn’t what the rule is for.  This isn’t what we want in hockey.   

That was a really tough call.  It was right by literally an inch and no way a linesman could make the right call at game speed. 

Mike Green with an awful sequence to give the Ducks a terrific scoring chance which Silfverberg pots for the Ducks 3rd goal. 

2 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Mantha goal called back on offside.  Ducks take 2-1 lead shortly after. 

I just don’t care for the offside challenge.  Some of the goals they are calling back isn’t what the rule is for.  This isn’t what we want in hockey.   

I hate the offside reviews no matter which side I'm on.

I also hate the automatic penalty for puck over the glass.  It doesn't delay the game any more than a deliberate icing does.

Playing time distribution was great last night.

Hronek and Cholowski 3rd and 4th D in ES Time on Ice.

Abdelkader and Helm getting some of the lowest ES time from the forward group.  AA, Bertuzzi, Larkin, and Mantha driving the bus.

6 minutes ago, kdog said:

Abdelkader and Helm getting some of the lowest ES time from the forward group.  AA, Bertuzzi, Larkin, and Mantha driving the bus.

Those 4 are clearly the best 4 forwards on the team as well.

I think it was on the Ducks' first goal... but holy **** what was Bertuzzi doing?!?!  All of a sudden he was trying to dangle multiple players at the Wings' blueline with only 1 other Wing back in the zone... then his defensive coverage was crazy bad.  I was dumbfounded.

That specific play caused my group of friends to text one another about how it reminded us of one of the guys we play drop in with who routinely makes terrible decisions at the worst areas of the ice.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That specific play caused my group of friends to text one another about how it reminded us of one of the guys we play drop in with who routinely makes terrible decisions at the worst areas of the ice.

biggs thread.