MAROTH4MVP

Lions @ Green Bay 10/14

I don't know I'd go as far as that (partially because I don't know how Ford stacks up in terms of ad dollars), but I agree with the overarching point that Ford does not have so much pull as to affect more favorable officiating.

I also am not sure that is something the Ford should be demanding even if they do have that type of pull anyway.

Responding to a number of things here:

Why don't the Lions complain? I wish they would more, but I can't fault the players too much.  A complaining player is just going to lose money, potentially be labeled a whiner and not see any real change.  Maybe if I higher profile player complained, but do we have any "high profile" players right now?  Stafford?  -- What it needs is a consistent, lock step vocal complaint from the coach, the front office, and the owner.  But even then there are more than enough people who will label the Lions and just complainers... "Get over it... you lost... if you just scored one or two more TDs instead of FGs isn't a non-issue... just get over it, play better."

They should threaten to pull advertising! I think it would certainly be a tactic that could be used.  I wonder how effective it would be now (more on that later) but it's something that can be done.  Yes, the Lions and FoMoCo are different entities, but they share connections and one could certainly be leveraged to help the other if it makes sense.  I mean, it's not a coincidence that the stadium sponsor is Ford, or that Stafford does Ford Truck commercials.  There are connections between the two.

Would pulling advertising work? To quote Motown Bombers: This isn't 1990 anymore.  I do think the NFL would bat an eye, but probably not a whole lot more.  I certainly think that the NFL wouldn't want to lose Ford, nor would they want the public image issue of an owner pulling ads because of unhappiness.  But, at the same time it certainly wouldn't cause major issues with finances, and in part they could stand on principle: "We regret that Martha Ford feels this way, but we simply can't bend to the wishes of every owner after a loss.  And we certainly can't be blackmailed into favoring one franchise over another with threats of lost financial transactions.  To go down that road opens the NFL up to questions of favoritism based on money."

Add to all of this that the Lions just aren't a premium franchise.  Very, very few people are coming to the NFL because of the Lions (unless they live in Michigan).  They just don't have as much weight to throw around.  Perhaps the best path to take would be to "partner" with other NFL franchises that are complaining about calls.  Get three or four of you working together might make enough noise.  Make an effort to call out really poor calls in all games... not just the ones involving your team.  Especially call out poor calls in which your team was the beneficiary, for example the one where the Lion (forget the player) basically ripped off the kick receivers head by the facemask and no flag was thrown.

That's just my two cents.

My personal experience is approaching referees privately to discuss these things works better in the long run than screaming at them.

Unfortunately the Lions experience doesn't seem to match that.

I know Ford Motor Company is plastered all over Ford Field, but is that a marketing partnership with the NFL or the Lions? Stafford doing Ford commercials are just local. He's not a national pitchman.

Ford Motor Company is a publicly traded company and as such its board and executives have a fiduciary duty to operate in the best interests of its shareholders. 

presumably, their decision makers have made a determination that devoting a portion of their advertising dollars to the NFL is the best use of those funds. Leveraging that because the football team owned by a family member got screwed by the refs in a high profile game would be extremely unethical.

15 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Ford Motor Company is a publicly traded company and as such its board and executives have a fiduciary duty to operate in the best interests of its shareholders. 

presumably, their decision makers have made a determination that devoting a portion of their advertising dollars to the NFL is the best use of those funds. Leveraging that because the football team owned by a family member got screwed by the refs in a high profile game would be extremely unethical.

I’m not sure how sarcastic this was meant to be but it made me laugh.   

I think you could also go to your shareholders and say a more valuable Lions franchise means more revenue for Ford Motor Company. Ford Motor Company is intertwined with the Lions more than any other NFL franchise.

13 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

This is what bugs me. We always just take it. Nothing is ever said. Nobody ever stands up for the franchise. The saints have one bad call, Sean Payton can't stop whining about it and now we have PI reviews. 

It also bugs me because the Lions have a huge threat they can throw out there that will get people to notice. "The Ford motor company is reconsidering how it spends $100 million on NFL advertising. We're not sure we can sponsor an organization that turns a blind eye when issues arrise." Just throw that out there and see what happens. 

I always chalk this up to old school mentality from the Fords.  "Work hard, keep your head down" etc.  Which in a perfect world or a world where EVERYONE does this it would work, but the this society gives the grease to the squeakiest.  I have a feeling the Fords hate it, the organization hates it, but they feel like they are above it and keep plugging along.  Rise above it, be better than it.  

It is hard to hate on them for that, because it is typically how I live my life.  It is how I teach my kids.  Don't whine about it or complain about it, work harder etc.  That SHOULD translate to better outcomes in the end...that has NOT been the case for the Lions, but that is just my take on it.

How do we know that no one within the Lions organization hasn't contacted NFL front offices? Just because the Lions brass doesn't bluster publicly, doesn't mean they aren't working with the league. I seem to recall Rod Wood mentioning how he petitioned the NFL to get the final game of the season at home. Now the Lions have been playing the final game of the season at home for a few years now.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not sure how sarcastic this was meant to be but it made me laugh.   

We’ll sure, reading it back, it does sound fairly sarcastic. 

The intended point is that no one at FMC is going to make a decision regarding whether or not they advertise with the NFL based on the perception that the Lions are being treated poorly by the league. 

I’ve heard this suggested advertising tactic mentioned before and it’s as ridiculous now as it always has been. 

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

How do we know that no one within the Lions organization hasn't contacted NFL front offices? Just because the Lions brass doesn't bluster publicly, doesn't mean they aren't working with the league. I seem to recall Rod Wood mentioning how he petitioned the NFL to get the final game of the season at home. Now the Lions have been playing the final game of the season at home for a few years now.

But that's what were saying. This behind closed door aw shucks publically method hasnt gotten anything changed.

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

As long as the bottom line is there shareholders dont care or have a say. If you own stock in Starbucks you dont get to say where they should open a new shops

4 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Responding to a number of things here:

Why don't the Lions complain? I wish they would more, but I can't fault the players too much.  A complaining player is just going to lose money, potentially be labeled a whiner and not see any real change.  Maybe if I higher profile player complained, but do we have any "high profile" players right now?  Stafford?  -- What it needs is a consistent, lock step vocal complaint from the coach, the front office, and the owner.  But even then there are more than enough people who will label the Lions and just complainers... "Get over it... you lost... if you just scored one or two more TDs instead of FGs isn't a non-issue... just get over it, play better."

They should threaten to pull advertising! I think it would certainly be a tactic that could be used.  I wonder how effective it would be now (more on that later) but it's something that can be done.  Yes, the Lions and FoMoCo are different entities, but they share connections and one could certainly be leveraged to help the other if it makes sense.  I mean, it's not a coincidence that the stadium sponsor is Ford, or that Stafford does Ford Truck commercials.  There are connections between the two.

Would pulling advertising work? To quote Motown Bombers: This isn't 1990 anymore.  I do think the NFL would bat an eye, but probably not a whole lot more.  I certainly think that the NFL wouldn't want to lose Ford, nor would they want the public image issue of an owner pulling ads because of unhappiness.  But, at the same time it certainly wouldn't cause major issues with finances, and in part they could stand on principle: "We regret that Martha Ford feels this way, but we simply can't bend to the wishes of every owner after a loss.  And we certainly can't be blackmailed into favoring one franchise over another with threats of lost financial transactions.  To go down that road opens the NFL up to questions of favoritism based on money."

Add to all of this that the Lions just aren't a premium franchise.  Very, very few people are coming to the NFL because of the Lions (unless they live in Michigan).  They just don't have as much weight to throw around.  Perhaps the best path to take would be to "partner" with other NFL franchises that are complaining about calls.  Get three or four of you working together might make enough noise.  Make an effort to call out really poor calls in all games... not just the ones involving your team.  Especially call out poor calls in which your team was the beneficiary, for example the one where the Lion (forget the player) basically ripped off the kick receivers head by the facemask and no flag was thrown.

That's just my two cents.

You dont think the nfl would care about losing its number 2 advertiser?!

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Ford being on the name of the building and the training facilities is a deal with the Lions. How much does Ford Motor Company actually spend on NFL marketing?

About $100 million on tv ads alone. Doesnt include stadium naming, ads in stadiums etc.

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

This isn't 1990. I don't think the NFL will bat an eye if Ford pulls its advertising dollars. This is a multi-billion dollar league that can charge millions of dollars for just seconds of airtime on the Super Bowl. I think the NFL would call the Ford's bluff. Maybe it generates more attention to the situation, but the NFL certainly won't be shaking in their boots by losing Ford as a sponsor.

Again ford is the second largest advertiser, you just think the nfl would be like "ok whatever"

Go to any company and tell them your going to lose your second largest advertiser/supplier. Let me know their reaction. 

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

About $100 million on tv ads alone. Doesnt include stadium naming, ads in stadiums etc.

Are ads in stadiums paid to the NFL? Aren't the naming rights paid to the Lions? They would essentially be hurting themselves.

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Again ford is the second largest advertiser, you just think the nfl would be like "ok whatever"

Go to any company and tell them your going to lose your second largest advertiser/supplier. Let me know their reaction. 

The NFL would go to Subaru or Kia or whoever and ask if they want Ford's advertising space. The NFL would have no shortage of sponsors.

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

You dont think the nfl would care about losing its number 2 advertiser?!

I think that the NFL is an attractive product that many advertisers would be interested in joining in on.  I think that they would probably be able to find replacements without too much difficulty.  It may not be super easy, but I also won't think it would be impossible.

Another thing to consider is this: Who is the NFL?  Ultimately who are the people to have control and final say in the NFL?  It's the owner, right?  So, if you were one of 32 people who was ultimately in charge, how would you feel if 1 of the 32 was trying to manipulate the other 31 by risking pulling funds?

"You have to do what I say, or I'm gonna risk costing y'all money if you don't!"

If it was a situation where they really would lose money (like 20-30 years ago before the NFL was the dominate sport in the nation) then yeah, they might fold.  But these days I gotta think that if 1 owner make a threat like that a good number of the other 31 would be pretty pissed and more than willing to call the bluff. (This assumes that the other 31 disagree with the 1.)