MAROTH4MVP

Lions @ Green Bay 10/14

-The Lions linebackers are substandard. They ran way from Devin Bush because he doesn't have size but that is still huge issue. Terrible at fitting the run.

-Speed at outside receiver is an issue...but they are continuously behind the sticks because they can't run on conventional downs.

-They don't rush a lot of guys but still the organic pass rush is bad. 

-Good early plan to attack downfield but once Green Bay adjusted they really didn't have an answer. 

-the Hockenson TD was a catch(?) because completing the process doesn't matter anymore? I don't know anything anymore.

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2019/10/15/another-nfl-officiating-controversy-mars-green-bay-packers-win-vs-lions-on-monday-night-football/amzk6hq/

On both Flowers penalties, it appears his outstretched arms only engage Packers LT David Bakhtiari’s shoulder pads.

Earlier in the fourth quarter, the officials missed Lions WR Marvin Jones clearly being interfered with on a long incompletion, and turned a Kerryon Johnson fumble on third-and-2 that should’ve resulted in a Lions first down into an incompletion, leading to a 54-yard Matt Prater field goal that kept the Packers within striking distance.

The calls helped the Packers overcome their own self-inflicted errors — including a pair of dropped touchdowns — on a night they began without Davante Adams (turf toe) and lost fellow starting WR Geronimo Allison to a possible brain injury on a helmet-to-helmet hit that was incorrectly called unnecessary roughness.

So the surprisingly competent Lions were robbed by the unsurprisingly incompetent officials.

15 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I dunno what the cure is.  What I think would be the cure would be to have reply change the call on the field when it's obvious that the call was made wrong.  But I don't think all fans would agree with me.

I do think at the very least replay should be decided centrally and it should be decided consistently.  Right now PI replays seems to need to find a mugging to be overturned.  I would change that at the very least. 

We see the replay and can tell when it is the wrong call.  If it is pretty obvious the wrong call is made on the field the ref in a box overlooking the game and seeing the replay corrects the call.  The tech is there to even have one of the refs on the field have a visor that shows the replay in real time...if it was wrong, stop play and reverse it.

Have the "guy in the sky" stop play and say "yeah no foul" 

Get rid of the refs on the field all together, minus one maybe to spot the ball or something.  Let the game playout, after each play the entirety of the play is reviewed by 3-4 guys in a booth all looking for different things, if there was a foul call it, if not let the game go.  By the time you have that ref on the field grab the ball to spot it you have 10-15 seconds right there to look at the last play.

I think it is impossible to do in the current incarnation of the system.  Either call everything or call nothing.

1 hour ago, DTroppens said:

The obvious comment said 1,000,000,000,000 times a season but I'll say it again....

Complaining about the officiating doesn't make sense. It's something no one can change. The plays have been called and it's time to move on. All you can really do is look at what the team controlled on their own merit and figure out what the team could've done to make sure it didn't happen.

The Lions were given some horrible calls, no doubt. But the Lions led 13-0 and settled for field goals way too often when they were in positions to score TDs. I bet every single one of us looked at that 13-0 score and thought, "Not scoring another touchdown is going to cost us this game eventually." It did.

Did the refs have a part in it? We can argue that and the nation can as well. But, the calls were made. It's done. What may have been the worst call the refs made was one that was the right call that saw the Lions do something you don't expect to see out of a JV team more than once a year (12 men on the field) and gave the Packers a first down. Wasn't it a TD a play or two later? That's something they should've easily controlled and didn't. They could've still had a two-possession lead. They didn't.

The Lions had so many chances to take a firm grasp of this game in the first half, which could've resulted in a three-possession lead, and didn't. From their own team's perspective that has to be the focus on why they lost - at least if I was a coach or a player, that's what I'd focus on.

Again, the Lions made two stops. 22-13 they sacked Rodgers on 3rd down which would have led to a punt and on the last drive, they made the stop on 3rd down and would have forced a field goal with almost 2 minutes left and plenty of time to come back and score. They made the stops so lets not pretend like the only reason why the Lions lost is because of the Lions. They could have done more to put the game away but they got screwed by the refs, it's a valid "excuse" on this night. Most games I'd agree with you that blaming the refs is a copout, not this one.

TOUCHDOWN PACKERS!!!

For the record... the Pack probably would have scored on the next play, but it's just one more example of how bad the refs were last night.

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

TOUCHDOWN PACKERS!!!

For the record... the Pack probably would have scored on the next play, but it's just one more example of how bad the refs were last night.

Actually, that picture is incorrect. The NFL has since released an updated picture showing their version of events, with a new enhanced goal line that you couldn't see last night on that touchdown call.

NFL Explenation.png

I think I was the only one here who called this one out in the game thread.

6 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

TOUCHDOWN PACKERS!!!

I don't think anyone said anything about this in the moment, either. I called it out in the game thread, but none of the announcers said anything.

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Actually, that picture is incorrect. The NFL has since released an updated picture showing their version of events, with a new enhanced goal line that you couldn't see last night on that touchdown call.

Ya know... looking at it again, it's pretty clear that in the original picture what looks like the goal line is really just glare from that bank of lights at the top of the picture.  I apologize for posting that.

4 minutes ago, holygoat said:

I don't think anyone said anything about this in the moment, either. I called it out in the game thread, but none of the announcers said anything.

This is one of those "bad calls" that I don't think would have had a serious impact on the outcome.  With three chances to push it in... with the Lions defense generally not stopping short yardage situations last night... it would have probably just delayed the score by a few plays.

But again, this is an obvious call that was wrong.  Even on replay (all scoring plays need to be reviewed) they got the call wrong.

If this was the only bad call I wouldn't complain... well, I might still but only so far as saying: "Stupid Refs."  I wouldn't say that this call "robbed" the Lions.

As if it wasn’t bad enough, We’ve lost Ninja over this.   Devastating news I know   

Lions running on first down except for the kneel down at halftime:

7 rushes - 20 yards.

1 hour ago, holygoat said:

Is he being touched in this play? I honestly don't remember if the defender pushed him to the ground or if he dove to the ground, caught it and maybe his momentum took him in before being touched. I'll have to find the replay.

I found one quick look at the play, but it was the actual initial footage. You can't tell from that angle.

8 minutes ago, DTroppens said:

Is he being touched in this play? I honestly don't remember if the defender pushed him to the ground or if he dove to the ground, caught it and maybe his momentum took him in before being touched. I'll have to find the replay.

He was definitely touched.

EDIT: For some reason the direct link isn't working.  Go here: https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2019101400/2019/REG6/lions@packers?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2019101400

Scroll down to the highlight "Rodgers tosses first fourth-quarter...."

I don't blame the refs too much for that TD call. In real time, it looked like a TD. My question would be why it wasn't reviewed.

1 minute ago, DTroppens said:

There was a flag on the play. The link didn't work. I'll take your word for it.

Yeah, I dunno why it's not working.  New link in my post.  Coleman was all over him.  LOTS of contact.

image.png.50014d60cdc668001a99253326bb39bb.png

My question to that td was if he had control to the ground and up. It was like the ebron non td in indy this season

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, I dunno why it's not working.  New link in my post.  Coleman was all over him.  LOTS of contact.

image.png.50014d60cdc668001a99253326bb39bb.png

2 minutes ago, mike06181 said:

My question to that td was if he had control to the ground and up. It was like the ebron non td in indy this season

I think he does.  The ball definitely wobbled around, but it never touches the ground and he never went out of the EZ (side or back) before he clearly had it controlled.  There's no question it was a catch.

I supposed you could argue that he didn't have control UNTIL he was in the EZ, and therefore he couldn't be considered down as he wasn't a "runner" yet.  You can't be tackled until you complete the catch after all... and honestly, this wouldn't surprise me one bit if this was the reasoning.  That sounds very much like the NFL.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Ya know... looking at it again, it's pretty clear that in the original picture what looks like the goal line is really just glare from that bank of lights at the top of the picture.  I apologize for posting that.

You should apologize, the NFL never makes officiating mistakes against the Lions. Ever. Never.

It still just bugs me why the ref would've thrown the flag even if Flowers did committ the penality.  You always hear about how they want the players to decide the game in crucial situations and to take the game out of the refs hands, well that was a perfect spot where you would just eat the flag even if it was a penalty and nobody would've batted an eye.

If say there was a questionable PI call I could understand the flag cause that may have had a direct impact on the outcome of the play but in this instance there simply was no need to throw it.   

That was a perfect example of a ref blatantly putting their prints on the outcome of the game which is something the NFL claims they don't want them doing.  

29 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It still just bugs me why the ref would've thrown the flag even if Flowers did committ the penality.  You always hear about how they want the players to decide the game in crucial situations and to take the game out of the refs hands, well that was a perfect spot where you would just eat the flag even if it was a penalty and nobody would've batted an eye.

If say there was a questionable PI call I could understand the flag cause that may have had a direct impact on the outcome of the play but in this instance there simply was no need to throw it.   

That was a perfect example of a ref blatantly putting their prints on the outcome of the game which is something the NFL claims they don't want them doing.  

If something is a penalty the first 58 minutes it's a penalty in the last 2