MAROTH4MVP

Lions @ Green Bay 10/14

Thinking about getting a few people to come by to watch this one....that is the only way I will be able to stay up through the entire thing.

Honestly I think the Lions are a better team right now.  That has ZERO bearing on who will win the game (any given Sunday).

The SOL thing to do with this game (in my mind) is to lose it..even if they (the proverbial they) say we should lose it, I think the Lions are better so fully expect a loss.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

50's jerseys were better.

anything is better than those sorry *** jerseys they have now.  they look like an arena league team.

the throwbacks should be their jerseys. 

• Thanks 1

It's working as the Lions have one of the better pass defenses in the league and have gone against three of the top QBs in the league.

• Like 3

It is hard to argue with the results, and suggests Patricia and his staff are objectively good at coming up with a defensive scheme.

The O-line seems to have improved quite a bit as well.

Yeah after seeing that stat it's hard to be super critical of the pass rush or lack there of.  

I wonder if Patricia figured if he can't get there with 4 guys instead of blitzing and sending more you just basically punt on the pass rush all together and drop more guys into coverage.  

Or you can more effectively confuse the QB with a more players in passing lanes rather than relying on pressure to force the QB to make mistakes due to not having enough time to make a good decision. 

If I had to guess, on a per rush basis, there isn't a huge difference in a 3 man or 4 man rush.  You probably only see a big improvement on a blitz, but you suffer in coverage when you blitz.

So maybe it is as simple as saying, if we are opposed to blitzing overall, maybe we lean into it and give the QB different look by dropping more into coverage than they are accustomed.

Especially if you think Snacks can hold the middle of the line for run D support.

The Lions have also faced some good TEs the last two games with Ertz and Kelce. They probably wanted to drop LBs and S in coverage to double those TEs instead of bringing them on a blitz.

I saw another stat that I really liked and that was how Stafford was among the league leaders in aerial yards per pass compared to being near the bottom in the previous few years.

I don't know if that's because of Bevell, the loss of dink and dunk guys like Tate/Riddick or just a combination of things but I like the fact we're attacking downfield more. 

Pass Pro and a healthy receiver corps this season so far.  

If I had to guess, on a per rush basis, there isn't a huge difference in a 3 man or 4 man rush.  You probably only see a big improvement on a blitz, but you suffer in coverage when you blitz.

So maybe it is as simple as saying, if we are opposed to blitzing overall, maybe we lean into it and give the QB different look by dropping more into coverage than they are accustomed.

Especially if you think Snacks can hold the middle of the line for run D support.

I would think the key is rush 4 often enough that the O has to commit to protecting against 4, then rush three often enough to give you the extra cover man that makes completions more difficult, esp if the 2nd tight end stayed in to block. Unpredictability gives you the best of both approaches. This seems like a no brainer for any front four that isn't actually going to get a lot of sacks. If your 4 guys can be truly disruptive a high % of the time, then you get a different calculus -you want to have 4 rushing all the time.

One of the hallmarks of the Belichick system is the ability to completely change your system if needed to create the optimal game plan to match up with a specific opponent.   I would expect to see much different looks from the Lions defense when they face teams in the coming weeks without dynamic QBs like Chicago, Minnesota, and NYG.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's working as the Lions have one of the better pass defenses in the league and have gone against three of the top QBs in the league.

Exactly what I was gonna say. They've really held their own. And their DL can play better, we all know that. The potential is endless. This really is the most excited I've been about the Lions since that year they started out 6-2. Of course, they ended up 7-9. ??

depends who your personnel is too.

if you have khalil mack, you should probably rush four cause you give the qb 2 seconds to throw which i suspect is just as good of a way to control a passing game.

Hmmm...2 weeks until kickoff. How many pages leading up to the game? 40? I thing we can get 20 or 30 pages about what is/isn't a catch. And the stupid referees. As well as the way instant replay ruins the game.

do we want GB to win or lose vs Dallas?

Im almost hoping they win so they arent too angry next week.

1 hour ago, kgeorge78 said:

do we want GB to win or lose vs Dallas?

Im almost hoping they win so they arent too angry next week.

Lose. 1st goal should be to win the division. 

Kirk Cousins has been one of the worst QBs in the league this year, Adam Thielen has called him out publicly, and Stefan Diggs seems to want to be traded. Things are not looking good in Minnesota.