Sign in to follow this  
LooseGoose

The "There ain't no game tonight and I'm feeling blue" thread

I'm sort of at loose ends now, my life feels emptier than a July off day.  

So I'll copy KL2 and post one of my favorites among the "minor" Tigers during my fandom.

The lesser known of the Brown "brothers" was always one of the favorites of my youth - loved to see him start the occasional game.

e912b1e2_davis.jpg

Ike Brown

Positions: Pinch Hitter, Second Baseman and First Baseman

Bats: Right  •  Throws: Right

6-0190lb (183cm, 86kg)

Ike Brown - Baseball Reference

His .774 career OPS would have protected Miggy this year.

Anyone else got a Tiger to add?

Mickey Stanley # 24 was a favorite of mine. I remember meeting  Joe Falls who was a News columnist "back in the day" and asked his impression of Mickey. He said  " A team of 9 Mickey Stanley's would finish in 9th place ". That was a bubble burst but a memory I still feel clear as a bell some 40 odd year later.

29 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Pretty sure you cant call someone a brown brother

Maybe....but I know many people thought he and the Gator were brothers.   ****, I just checked and it's in his Wiki page....

Although mostly a part-time player with Detroit, Brown became a popular and recognizable figure in Detroit because of his trademark glasses and unusually burly build. He was often mistakenly identified as the brother of roommate Gates Brown, to whom he bore no relation. According to Gates, Ike would wake up every morning saying, "It's a beautiful day" whether it was or not.

At the time of his retirement from the Tigers in 1974, Brown was one of the last alumni of the Negro leagues (along with Hank Aaron and Willie Mays) still active in Major League Baseball.

Left that little factoid in there about Ike/Hank/Willie....I'd never heard that before.

I was a huge Ron LeFlore fan. Wrote him a letter as a kid. Wish I could have seen the recent playing of One in a Million. Friggin cocaine. Took down so many

I was fascinated by LeFlore’s story—read his autobiography while a young lad at St. Dennis Elementary.  A much needed education around prison life for a 6th grader.

The wildly entertaining Kevin Saucier helping the '81 Tigers almost snag a 2nd half split-season title is a great memory for me. Then a couple of years later he quit baseball abruptly at 26. Hot Sauce!

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/2017/07/12/abrupt-retirement-player-saucier-found-success-scout/

https://www.si.com/vault/1983/08/29/626163/picking-up-the-pieces

Ron Leflore was my favorite player for a couple years.  His story was exciting and who else were you going to follow in 1974-1975?

I also thought Ike and Gates were brothers at the time.  

I guess it's like giving up hard drugs.  You know it's terrible for you but you jonze for it anyway.        Seek help.    I had that last mound of dirt in the shovel two months ago ready to bury this debacle for good.    

14 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’ll play.  The OG Papi

BA9C3814-6C86-4000-A186-A488141A01BB.jpeg

That WAR is definitely an inspiration.