Keepleyland2

9/28 @~8:10 Detroit Tigers at Chicago White Sox

I had no idea Tom Tresh played for the Tigers in ‘69.  After the World Series victory of 1968 I was so sated with joy — and being 17 years old — had moved on to other stuff. His paltry statistics from 1969 make him look like a pretty good producer by this year‘s standards.  

5 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I had no idea Tom Tresh played for the Tigers in ‘69.  After the World Series victory of 1968 I was so sated with joy — and being 17 years old — had moved on to other stuff. His paltry statistics from 1969 make him look like a pretty good producer by this year‘s standards.  

And a big upgrade offensively over Ray Oyler.

10 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I knew of him because I grew up in Allen Park, where he grew up. I didn't remember he was a switch hitter though. And I had no idea he had passed away.

It all ended quickly for Tresh at age 30, he didn't play anywhere after that.  He was a popular member of those powerhouse Yankee teams and had the alliterative name, like Mickey Mantle.

Just now, tiger337 said:

If Tresh played for the 2019 Tigers, we would be calling him Tom Trash.

Actually he'd probably be our best hitter. 

• Like 1

I am supposing that we have seen the last of Miguel Cabrera for the season. I doubt he’ll play in both ends of a doubleheader because DHing both games would be tiresome and he’ll be sitting in the dugout for the night game so he can’t play the Sunday day game. 

4 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

It all ended quickly for Tresh at age 30, he didn't play anywhere after that.  He was a popular member of those powerhouse Yankee teams and had the alliterative name, like Mickey Mantle.

Tresh hurt his knee in the Spring of 1967, the Yankees suggested he play thru it. It was diagnosed as loose cartridge. He had surgery in the off season, but by then he was unhappy with the Yankees playing him at different positions every year. He asked for a trade in 1969 to be closer to home. 

When the Tigers decided he needed to go to the minors at the end of Spring Training in 1970 to rehab his knee he asked for his release. He had had enough and had promised his wife he would only play 10 years.

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/a1f535cd

• Like 1

It’s telling that we are talking about a short term player from 50 years ago because it actually is more interesting than what’s happening on the field right now. 

We are hard-core fans. If we are alienated, how much more alienated must people be who don’t have as much of a personal, psychological investment in the team? 

I hope ownership reckons with the consequences of simultaneously alienating both the hard-core and casual fan. This is an unsustainable business model. They can’t keep fielding teams like this. 

Is this the lowest point in Tigers' history?

At least in 2003 we had the hopes that a previously successful GM would be able to remake the team.  And we had an owner who had been successful in another sport.

Now we have the guy who failed to build a farm system and a son-of-a-rich-guy likely looking to sell the team rather than invest in it.  Next year looks equally bleak.  

At least we didn't trade Matt Boyd.  That guy is going to be a staple in our rotation with his 4.6 ERA...

I'm watching this game on WGN. They're saying a lot of goodbyes and reminiscing, but I only knew about the Cubs leaving WGN after 72 years. Are the White Sox done too?

46 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Is this the lowest point in Tigers' history?

At least in 2003 we had the hopes that a previously successful GM would be able to remake the team.  And we had an owner who had been successful in another sport.

Now we have the guy who failed to build a farm system and a son-of-a-rich-guy likely looking to sell the team rather than invest in it.  Next year looks equally bleak.  

At least we didn't trade Matt Boyd.  That guy is going to be a staple in our rotation with his 4.6 ERA...

I think 2003 was worse because the Tigers had been irrelevant for 15 years. Right now we're only 5 years removed from perennial playoff baseball. But the future doesn't seem much brighter than it did in 2003.

I was working 3 jobs and had a youngin in '03 and watched only a handful of games, all in the hefty-bag-dome.

This year I've probably watched 140 games. Easily the worst year for me. If nothing happens this off season I'll pass on mlb.tv until the price drops in June, in hopes some of the Erie boys get called up. I'm not watching another full year where Dixon leads the team in home runs

49 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Pathetic from Christan Stewart.  

I don't know if Candelario or Stewart has been a bigger disappointment but both have been pretty big. Right now I don't like either one's chances.

3-run homer by Hicks with 1 out in the 9th gives the Tigers a 4-2 lead. The White Sox are the only team in MLB this season to have not lost a game when leading after 8.