Sign in to follow this  
Keepleyland2

9/27 @4:10 Detroit Tigers at Chicago White Sox

Rain’s starting to come down pretty good here. They better hustle to get five in with the lead.

Barring a miracle, Cleveland is 3 innings away from being eliminated. AL playoff field close to being set.

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

Barring a miracle, Cleveland is 3 innings away from being eliminated. AL playoff field close to being set.

Cleveland sucks. They're so bad they can’t even beat up our team in historic fashion and get a playoff berth.  

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

Cleveland sucks. They're so bad they can’t even beat up our team in historic fashion and get a playoff berth.  

That is bad. That means outside the Tigers they are 75-65, which makes them a .535 team. That's not really playoff caliber.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That is bad. That means outside the Tigers they are 75-65, which makes them a .535 team. That's not really playoff caliber.

But better than the 2006 Cardinals.  

That was the most terriblest Series loss imaginable. Not only were those guys 83-78, but their pythag of 82-79 was even worse.

38 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I was looking at team-vs-team records earlier today.  Your 75-65 calculation is correct.  Furthermore, take away Clevelands 11-7 record against the Royals and they are merely 64-58.  But then again, ..would have loved to see the Tigers at 64-58 at that point this season.

Similar with the Twinkies.  99-60 overall at start of today ..85-55 outside the tigers ..then 73-51 minus the Royals.  Still very good ..but not great.

I looked at all teams with 90 or more wins ..and they all had that one thing in common ..they all dominated within their own division.  Yes, some greater than others ..but nevertheless, they all dominated within their own division.

The upside I see for the Tigers is that their rebuild primarily need focus upon beating the snot out of the rest of the AL Central.  I think there will continue to be at least 2 AL Central teams losing 95+ games each year for the next several years.  Detroit just needs to not be one of them.  I think Cleveland may have reached a pinnacle in over achievement this year ..and my rapidly begin to decline.  Oh, btw: Kudos to their manager Francona for getting the most out of them after all their injuries.  Beyond the Injuns ..I think Kansas City will take a dozen more years to regroup and rebuild.  And sometimes it seems the White Sox franchise may never get over the hump (unless they hire DD?) ..and the Twinkies probably will not repeat their outrageous success beyond 2 or 3 more years.  So in effect, the Tigers rebuild destiny is in their own hands.  Its up to Chris I and Al A to make it work before the fans give up on them (Chris and Al) completely.  No reason to doubt that getting it done within 3 years is possible if the right decisions are made.

15 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Felix Hernandez walking off the mound last night and what is expected to be his final appearance in an M's uniform

Its crazy, the kid is only 33 years old and he's likely done as a baseball player.  The flame burned brightly and quickly.  Hopefully for his sake (and baseball) he has a Verlanderish comeback.

12 hours ago, Casimir said:

Its crazy, the kid is only 33 years old and he's likely done as a baseball player.  The flame burned brightly and quickly.  Hopefully for his sake (and baseball) he has a Verlanderish comeback.

Felix pitched a **** ton of innings starting when he was 19, and he kept it up because he was a warrior who wouldn’t take no for an answer. He was more or less toast by 31. Everyone assumed he’d be a slam dunk Hall of Farmer at that time. Now he might not even make it at all.

12 hours ago, Casimir said:

Quick!  Someone put him in touch with Verlander's "doctor"!

On 9/28/2019 at 7:30 PM, chasfh said:

Felix pitched a **** ton of innings starting when he was 19, and he kept it up because he was a warrior who wouldn’t take no for an answer. He was more or less toast by 31. Everyone assumed he’d be a slam dunk Hall of Farmer at that time. Now he might not even make it at all.

It certainly looked like it early on.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

It certainly looked like it early on.

Until that Chas post I was unaware that Felix grew corn & wheat.