Twins vs Tigers

Game 158

46-111

Remember him?

335d3b4d8b0bb060de27e081474629c2.jpg
Waite Hoyt

Years with Detroit: 1930-31

Tigers highlights: 13 complete games

You may remember him from: New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Pirates, Baseball Hall of Fame

Baseball Reference Link and Stats:

hoyt.jpg

If you were trying to catch up to the man walking down a crowded sidewalk, would you yell, "Hoyt, Wait!" or "Wait Hoyt!" or just "Wait, Waite!"  ?

It’s amazing how few guys he struck out.  So, was the goal to offer up a pitch no one could do much with and hope somebody caught or fielded it?  Real finesse. And then you have someone like Bob Feller coming along in the late 1930s who would both walk and strike out 200 guys. Overwhelming power. The contrast must’ve been really mind blowing.  

Congratulations to the 2019 American League Central Division champion Minnesota Twins.

Bunch of jerks.

8 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

It’s amazing how few guys he struck out.  So, was the goal to offer up a pitch no one could do much with and hope somebody caught or fielded it?  Real finesse. And then you have someone like Bob Feller coming along in the late 1930s who would both walk and strike out 200 guys. Overwhelming power. The contrast must’ve been really mind blowing.  

I like how in '28 he started 31 games, had 23 wins AND had 8 saves

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I like how in '28 he started 31 games, had 23 wins AND had 8 saves

...he cost us Yats Wuestling and his career .470OPS.....

9 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Yes, it was. I think the Yankees might have been the only team who had more than one guy who could take you out of the park, and Hoyt didn't have to worry about that for much of his career. With a deader ball and longer fences it was, "here you go, hit it and get yourself out" to nearly every batter. And it worked. Pithcers didn't have to think much about what pitches to throw to induce swing-and-miss because they didn't need or even necessarily want swing-and-miss. They threw it into the strike zone and trusted their fielders. That's why pitchers completed half their starts and games were routinely under two hours back then.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If you were trying to catch up to the man walking down a crowded sidewalk, would you yell, "Hoyt, Wait!" or "Wait Hoyt!" or just "Wait, Waite!"  ?

Don't tell me.

• Like 1

Over / under on IP by Zimmermann against the "whoever is most sober after last night's clincher for today's getaway game and there is nothing to gain or lose between now and the playoffs because Minnesota is locked into the #3 seed no matter what" lineup?

13 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

And then you have someone like Bob Feller coming along in the late 1930s who would both walk and strike out 200 guys. Overwhelming power. The contrast must’ve been really mind blowing.  

My favorite possession of baseball memorabilia is a deeply scuffed practice ball Bob Feller kindly tossed to me on the practice fields outside Hi Corbett Field in Tucson during Cleveland Indians spring training in the mid-1980s.  He was being nice, and I didn’t have a pen and it was a bad situation to ask him to autograph it, but it’s something I’m grateful for and it’s a memory I cherish because it is my only direct connection to a Hall of Famer. 

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

it is my only direct connection to a Hall of Famer. 

Have you forgotten that G2 posts here?

43 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

My favorite possession of baseball memorabilia is a deeply scuffed practice ball Bob Feller kindly tossed to me on the practice fields outside Hi Corbett Field in Tucson during Cleveland Indians spring training in the mid-1980s.  He was being nice, and I didn’t have a pen and it was a bad situation to ask him to autograph it, but it’s something I’m grateful for and it’s a memory I cherish because it is my only direct connection to a Hall of Famer. 

My understanding is Carl Hubbell used to hang around Giants spring training in that timeframe and was really approachable.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

My understanding is Carl Hubbell used to hang around Giants spring training in that timeframe and was really approachable.

He had spare time while they were grinding his lenses.

16 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

No home series win since May 5. Dan and Jim amazed.

That is pretty incredible.

Almost as incredible as the fact that only four of the 22 non-pitchers who have stepped to the plate for the Tigers this year have a walk rate above league average.

For god’s sake, the tank is officially over. They can start winning games and they should do it now! It’s almost as if they actually are a bad team.