MAROTH4MVP

Chiefs @ Lions

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think you should be able to run over a receiver just because the Hail Mary was short. Jones was the trailer on that play. A Lions receiver could have caught it and lateralled it back to Jones. The pass could have been tipped back to Jones. I understand not calling hand fighting when everyone is going up for the ball, but you can't just eliminate a receiver from the play. If that's the case, the Lions could have thrown a defender to the ground, caught the ball, and ran it in for the score.

Hongbit isn't arguing a degree of right or not, he is arguing the referee is using discretion in making / not making his call.

Whether we like it or not, whether the rules state it or not, all referees use some level of discretion when calling a game in progress.  He feels the referee's use of discretion there is justified.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

From what I have seen on the pass interference challenges, there's no point in challenging them. He only had one challenge left and I doubt they would overturn that one.

Not sure which pass interference your talking about but if it was on the hail mary pass, Patricia couldn't challenge it. It was in the last 2 minutes of a half, when all replays are called down from the booth. Even if he could have challenged, wouldn't he need a timeout remaining? He didn't have any left to dispute the hail mary.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Completely unrelated, but can we make Sunday's jerseys their standard home kit?

Yes please!

15 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Not sure which pass interference your talking about but if it was on the hail mary pass, Patricia couldn't challenge it. It was in the last 2 minutes of a half, when all replays are called down from the booth. Even if he could have challenged, wouldn't he need a timeout remaining? He didn't have any left to dispute the hail mary.

I think you're right on all accounts.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

A Hail Mary has probably a 1% chance of being successful.   The situation that you’ve described with a tip back to a WR out of the EZ takes it down into microscopic percentages.   

I agree with this.  That makes it even more egregious when interference happens.  If a defender is stupid enough to blatantly interfere with a receiver who has almost no chance of actually completing the play anyway then don't bail that defender out by swallowing the whistle.  We aren't talking about jersey grabbing or hand fighting here, we are talking about pushing someone down level blatant.

I'm not saying that's what happened here.  I'm saying I'm al for calling interference if the defenders are stupid enough to commit it blatantly.

Was there ever an explanation of why the Golladay TD was ruled incomplete?  That seemed like a completely botched call.  He had two feet down and possession.  The ball moved which it’s allowed to after possession and never touched the ground.   

Just now, Hongbit said:

Was there ever an explanation of why the Golladay TD was ruled incomplete?  That seemed like a completely botched call.  He had two feet down and possession.  The ball moved which it’s allowed to after possession and never touched the ground.   

It's not allowed to move that freely if he's falling out of bounds.

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Nothing's a catch anymore. If the Immaculate Reception occurred in today's NFL they would have reviewed it and said said Franco Harris didn't complete the process of the catch. Dwight Clark in the endzone, didn't complete the process. Lynn Swann in Super Bowl X, didn't keep control going all the way through going to the ground.

7 minutes ago, sagnam said:

Burfict suspended for the remainder of the season.

Future XFL star

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The whole "process" thing.  He had it, bobbled it a little while he touched in bounds, then regained FULL possession after he had already touched out of bounds.  So I am assuming it is basically like catching it out of bounds at that point.

At least that is my interpretation.

20 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Any word on Hockenson?

15 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Good question

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/09/29/detroit-lions-lose-quandre-diggs-injury-t-j-hockenson-exits/3813671002/

"Lions coach Matt Patricia said he got a chance to catch up with Hockenson after the game, acknowledging the injury didn't require further evaluation at a local medical facility. "

This would seem to indicate that he did not have a concussion?

I don't know as that I would conclude that.

It could be as simple as they think he was concussed and the teams doctors will monitor.

EDIT: I write that not knowing the concussion protocol and whether it is ok for the team's doctors to be monitoring rather than an outside doctor. 

3 hours ago, sagnam said:

Full speed?  No.  But we don’t live in that world.  We live in a world of slow motion instant replay and and a player falling to the ground is not down they hit the ground.  These are the same rules for everyone.  Why wouldn’t you be upset with Kerryon for not protecting the ball at the 1/2 yard line?  Why would you not be mad at the players not playing to the whistle.  Tackling the guy with the ball is never a bad idea.

My frustration with the players playing to the actions of the referees, and not to the whistle, is secondary. 

My primary concern with the officiating, going back years, is that the NFL is ruining the game in its effort to react to a handful of disputed calls. “We have to get it right,” they say. But in their effort to “get it right” they have created a system where their game officials have clearly abdicated their responsibility to officiate the game on the field.

So a player whose knee comes down on an opposing player’s hand and sees the refs and everyone else react as if he’s down doesn’t realize that he’s not really down. Nobody does until literally five minutes later, when the replay officials have looked at the tape ten times. 

This is clearly a case where the refs would have blown a whistle (even two weeks ago!) — and been justified in doing so, even if KJ’s knee was not down with metaphysical certitude because it was resting at least in part on a defender’s hand. But because they have all been emasculated by the league office and by Sean Payton’s bitching, they punt the game to NY, where the Lions once again are shown to be the NFL’s *****. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/09/29/detroit-lions-lose-quandre-diggs-injury-t-j-hockenson-exits/3813671002/

"Lions coach Matt Patricia said he got a chance to catch up with Hockenson after the game, acknowledging the injury didn't require further evaluation at a local medical facility. "

This would seem to indicate that he did not have a concussion?

We're pretty sure that my 13 year old suffered her first concussion last week. Had a few days of symptoms.  From falling on an attempted double loop-double lutz combo. I would have thought it cooler if it had occurred from her attempting to jump over another skater.

5 hours ago, NYLion said:

It really has been a gauntlet. Rivers, Wentz, Mahomes and now Rodgers with the latter three being three of the most mobile QBs in the league. Through all that, they've played some of the best pass defense in the league with a mediocre pass rush not doing much to aid them. Impressive to say the least. Coleman, Walker, Diggs and Melvin have all been excellent. 

Pass rush was pretty good yesterday.  They got consistent pressure while only rushing 3 most of the game.  

3 hours ago, sagnam said:

It's not allowed to move that freely if he's falling out of bounds.

It didn’t move freely. He had his arm/hand on it and pinned against his body the whole time. 

24 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

It didn’t move freely. He had his arm/hand on it and pinned against his body the whole time. 

Objectively false

no-golladay.gif.3e2e16021551c9995322706f3acdd273.gif

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

My frustration with the players playing to the actions of the referees, and not to the whistle, is secondary. 

My primary concern with the officiating, going back years, is that the NFL is ruining the game in its effort to react to a handful of disputed calls. “We have to get it right,” they say. But in their effort to “get it right” they have created a system where their game officials have clearly abdicated their responsibility to officiate the game on the field.

So a player whose knee comes down on an opposing player’s hand and sees the refs and everyone else react as if he’s down doesn’t realize that he’s not really down. Nobody does until literally five minutes later, when the replay officials have looked at the tape ten times. 

This is clearly a case where the refs would have blown a whistle (even two weeks ago!) — and been justified in doing so, even if KJ’s knee was not down with metaphysical certitude because it was resting at least in part on a defender’s hand. But because they have all been emasculated by the league office and by Sean Payton’s bitching, they punt the game to NY, where the Lions once again are shown to be the NFL’s *****. 

So be mad at the players for not playing to the whistle.  The reason that they tend toward letting the players play is that if they call the runner down and are wrong they cost the team one of two challenges and they've potentially changed the outcome of the game.  If they assume fumble it's a free replay.  The only downside is players quitting on a play before the whistle.  That's squarely on the players and they only have themselves to blame.  The refs blow the whistle over and over when a play is dead.  There is no excuse for not playing until then.

This wasn't the play where the runners knee was on a hand, that was the Chiefs TD at the end of the game.  This was KJ laying backwards on the top of the pile trying to stretch into the endzone.  Realizing he wasn't going to make it and with half a dozen Chiefs surrounding him he decided to try to stretch the ball over his head to break the plane.  I would be livid as a fan if my team forced that fumble and played to the whistle only to have the league call it dead because an official assumed the runner was down.

This is a case where the officials were RIGHT and people are mad.  Why should the Chiefs be penalized for playing to the whistle?

7 minutes ago, sagnam said:

Objectively false

no-golladay.gif.3e2e16021551c9995322706f3acdd273.gif

I don't want to watch a game where that's a TD.