Jump to content

MAROTH4MVP

Chiefs @ Lions

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The back/hip issues aren't going away. He's going to have to play through the pain the rest of the season. Essentially, we're not going to see a 100% healthy Stafford the rest of this season.

Where did you go to medical school?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It's very, very common throughout to history of football to go for a big play on 2nd and 1. The thinking is you can go ahead and easily make a yard on 3rd down if need be. It hasn't worked out too good for the Lions this year.

Yes, and I think that strategy is amateur at best.   It doesn’t usually work and then you’re left telegraphing your 3rd down play (most likey a run on 3rd and 1). 

But regardless, this isn’t a pure discussion on 2nd and 1 play calling. It’s discussion on 2nd and 1 with less than 90 secs left in the first half against the best QB in the league when you’re tied.  That’s my beef.

Say the 2nd and 1 hits and you score a TD, then you give Mahomes well over a minute to go down and get a score, and it would be a wash.  If you run it and get the first then you’re at 1st and 10, less than a minute to go and you’re in business. Even if you settle for a FG it’s not to hard to make sure Mahomes doesn’t get the ball back   The clock management by Bevell wasn’t NFL quality.   He didn’t understand the situation at all, and it’s happened a lot this season.  He has a good scheme, he just has no clue when to be aggressive and when to be conservative.  He lacks feel.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Yes, and I think that strategy is amateur at best.   It doesn’t usually work and then you’re left telegraphing your 3rd down play (most likey a run on 3rd and 1). 

But regardless, this isn’t a pure discussion on 2nd and 1 play calling. It’s discussion on 2nd and 1 with less than 90 secs left in the first half against the best QB in the league when you’re tied.  That’s my beef.

Say the 2nd and 1 hits and you score a TD, then you give Mahomes well over a minute to go down and get a score, and it would be a wash.  If you run it and get the first then you’re at 1st and 10, less than a minute to go and you’re in business. Even if you settle for a FG it’s not to hard to make sure Mahomes doesn’t get the ball back   The clock management by Bevell wasn’t NFL quality.   He didn’t understand the situation at all, and it’s happened a lot this season.  He has a good scheme, he just has no clue when to be aggressive and when to be conservative.  He lacks feel.  

 

Oh, I'm not saying I agree with it, especially in all situations. I was just thinking of why it was called.

I know this is really stupid too but the Lions scored that go ahead TD with way too much time on the clock. Almost 3 minutes left? They prolly could have run the ball,  gotten a TD and taken much more time off the clock. But can we complain that they scored? I don't think so. Take it when you can get it, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

That's a terrible explanation. I wasn't even mad. Until I read that.

Yup. Now I"m pissed again. Imagine the NFL telling this to Green Bay or the Pats.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Where did you go to medical school?

It's common sense. Sorry that it escapes you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What is common sense?

That a football player with a fairly serious hip injury will likely continue to feel the effects of it all season as long as he keeps playing. It's not the type of injury that will magically go away entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, if anyone can make head or tail out of the reporting on Stafford's "injury" over the last several days, they are way ahead of me. First report was hip, then no, not the hip, the back, then after the game, no the back is not the same back, it is not related to the back last season. So whatever - he still put up a 118 rtg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, holygoat said:

Yup. Now I"m pissed again. Imagine the NFL telling this to Green Bay or the Pats.

Or Sean Payton. 

By bitching about the officiating, he has gotten one rule that burned his team changed, and he got another crew so gun shy that they botched the call today, all moving in to the pile to make it seem like the play was dead, but not blowing the whistle. 

He’s a coach that gets stuff done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Or Sean Payton. 

By bitching about the officiating, he has gotten one rule that burned his team changed, and he got another crew so gun shy that they botched the call today, all moving in to the pile to make it seem like the play was dead, but not blowing the whistle. 

He’s a coach that gets stuff done. 

and the Lions shrug their shoulders and say "Well, there's nothing we can do".    Over and Over and Over again.    Time to take the fine and stand up for yourself, Lions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be clear, the fumble returned for a TD was correctly called per the rules in place today. There is no wiggle room in this one.  Kerryon was clearly not down and the ball clearly came out.  The defender who recovered it was clearly not touched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sagnam said:

To be clear, the fumble returned for a TD was correctly called per the rules in place today. There is no wiggle room in this one.  Kerryon was clearly not down and the ball clearly came out.  The defender who recovered it was clearly not touched.

I disagree. 

The referees were clearly sending mixed signals to the players. They moved into the pile as if they were going to rule the play dead, but did not rule the play dead. 

They did not rule the play dead because they got hammered by Sean Payton. They were not in control of the play. 

That said, even if they did call it “correctly” based on the rules in place, the rules in place are Bush league. You cannot make players think the play is dead when you do not call it dead. In an ambiguous scenario like that, a player could have taken a free shot at KJ and hurt him badly. 

But again, the refs are afraid that Sean Payton is going to go back to SI and ***** about their calls, so they swallowed the whistle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sagnam said:

To be clear, the fumble returned for a TD was correctly called per the rules in place today. There is no wiggle room in this one.  Kerryon was clearly not down and the ball clearly came out.  The defender who recovered it was clearly not touched.

You say “clearly” but there is no way that was clear to anybody without watching the video ten times. This is Bush league officiating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think his forward progress was stopped, FWIW.

I also think extending his arms to reach the ball over his head was stupid, so there is that as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dallas lost to the Saints without Drew Brees and Los Angeles lost to Tampa. Really, who is the team to beat in the NFC right now? Are the Lions just as good as anyone in the conference right now? If Drew Brees comes back 100%, I have to imagine they are the favorites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I still think his forward progress was stopped, FWIW.

I also think extending his arms to reach the ball over his head was stupid, so there is that as well.

Agree and agree. 

Everybody in the stadium thought his forward progress was stopped. Including the ball carrier, who thought his knee was on the ground. (How was he to know it was on a hand? But maybe if we had better cameras we could have seen if any part of his knee slipped between the ring and pinky fingers to make contact with the ground.)

But the refs were so afraid of the ghost of Sean Payton that they said, “Um, we are just going to stop officiating and let the grownups in NY handle this one.” Bush league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NYLion said:

That a football player with a fairly serious hip injury will likely continue to feel the effects of it all season as long as he keeps playing. It's not the type of injury that will magically go away entirely.

and again where have did you go to medical school? 

Who described it as serious? I've had a serious hip injury before. It went away after a couple of weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something is weird about the Stafford injury. In training camp, he had this mysterious injury and we were wondering when we were going to see him on the field. Then suddenly he plays in spring training and looks fine. Same thing here. Mysterious injury but looked fine. Were the Lions trying to psych out the Chiefs? Was Stafford maybe given time off for personal reasons? There was a tweet that he could barely move in warm-ups but looks fine during the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

usually lions losses dont really bother me.  in fact, they usually amuse me.  however, this one stings.  they could have been undefeated and in first place and were undone by a couple bad calls and a fluke fumble recovery.

sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to get mad at the team when it was that close...even with the turn overs and missed opportunities in the red zone.

I had them losing pretty bad, they really should have won.  That is something to be excited about I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

and again where have did you go to medical school? 

Who described it as serious? I've had a serious hip injury before. It went away after a couple of weeks. 

I'm basing it on the information presented to us which was that he was in "a lot of pain" during the week and this is the closest he had come to not playing in a long time. The other information presented to us is that he has had lingering issues with back and/or hip throughout last season, training camp (it was talked about all preseason) and the first few weeks of this season. It doesn't seem like an issue that will simply go away. 

In any event, he's playing at a high level so whatever the issue is, he's fighting through it with flying colors thus far. I'm just saying that it appears to be one of those things that he'll have to continue playing through and that we are unlikely to see a fully healthy Stafford this season. Hopefully I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Buddha said:

usually lions losses dont really bother me.  in fact, they usually amuse me.  however, this one stings.  they could have been undefeated and in first place and were undone by a couple bad calls and a fluke fumble recovery.

sucks.

Not really surprising but I’m exactly the opposite.   The stealing defeat from the jaws of victory losses like this one normally bother me.  I was feeling good about this one.  They showed me they are capable of slowing down a top NFL offense even without top players on defense.  Stafford is back and has moved beyond last years struggles.  They were able to establish a strong run game.  These are all very good signs for the rest of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Not really surprising but I’m exactly the opposite.   The stealing defeat from the jaws of victory losses like this one normally bother me.  I was feeling good about this one.  They showed me they are capable of slowing down a top NFL offense even without top players on defense.  Stafford is back and has moved beyond last years struggles.  They were able to establish a strong run game.  These are all very good signs for the rest of the season. 

im not saying that im not encouraged by their play, but it sucks they lost.

and not to be debbie downer, but its the nfl.  tampa bay put 55 on the rams in LA this week.  the bears made the vikings look like a high school offense.  the bills made the pats look pathetic on offense.  any given sunday.  hopefully this portends to good things to come, but lets hold that thought for a few more weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...