MAROTH4MVP

Chiefs @ Lions

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

That defense (Mack) will keep them in, or win them, a lot of games though.

I'm actually not sure if this is a bad thing for Chicago. 

15 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

If the refs called it exactly by the rule book, the game would be unwatchable.   There would be a flag for holding or PI on almost every play.   

They don't call holding or pi randomly! They call it when they see it, and when they see, they should call it. Maybe they don't all call it when it's borderline, but I do believe they all try to call it consistently, not depending on circumstances.

33 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Kirk Cousins isn't very good. 

He is quite bad actually. 

34 minutes ago, Longgone said:

They don't call holding or pi randomly! They call it when they see it, and when they see, they should call it. Maybe they don't all call it when it's borderline, but I do believe they all try to call it consistently, not depending on circumstances.

If they really want to protect to QBs, they should only call offensive holding if it's really blatant.  I don't like that idea but I think it would save more injuries than many of the other rule changes.

42 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Kirk Cousins isn't very good. 

He can only be as good as the team around him. And he really can't be judged against this Chicago defense, they're relentless. But yeah, he's not the answer the Vikings thought he would be.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Maybe it's time to give Vontez Burfict a full year suspension.  

He's lucky he didn't break his own neck today. 

That hit didn’t seem particularly egregious to me. 

I just got home from the Game. 
May have been the best Live game I've ever seen.

I'm pissed (at the calls) and kinda proud at the same time.  No moral Victories but the SOL get blow out after a few of those calls in the past not score and take the lead.

The stadium was unreal today.  Glad I went.

Patricia is going to be a really good coach and I think the Lions are in good hands with he and Quinn. Not sure if they'll break through in a big way this year or next year. I'd lean more towards next year at the moment.

I guess I'll still go with 10-5-1 this year. That was an evenly played game that could have gone either way and the Chiefs got the fluke 100 yard fumble return TD that makes a difference in a game like that.

NFL opted against full-blown replay review of Chiefs-Lions Hail May

“For the most part, everyone understands what’s allowed, what’s not allowed on a Hail Mary,” Riveron said regarding an unofficial exception to pass interference that appears nowhere in the rulebook. “It’s probably fortunate that we’re not putting this play into a box because it’s something when we see it, and when I say ‘we’ I mean the football community from fans to coaches to players to officials, we’ll all agree that that’s a Hail Mary and we’ll understand what’s allowable and what’s not.”

Some would say that an apparent shove to the ground of a receiver who may have had a shot at making the catch would justify at least a closer look at whether the shove happened deliberately or incidentally.

I like what Patrica is doing. I even like what Bevell is doing.  

Bevells problem is his insistence on telegraphing 2nd and long plays. 2, or even 3 TE sets, defense stacks the box, hand off, 3rd and long.  Rinse and repeat. 

And the 2nd and 1 at the end of the first half.  KJ gets 9 on first down.  Clock running.  You hand it off, keep the chains and the clock moving, 1st and 10 would have happened with about 1 min remaining, great position.  Nope, goes for broke, incomplete, clock stops. Lions settle for a field goal after getting stuffed on 3rd down and leave over a minute on the clock.  

He has been in the league along time, tough to see him improving his sequencing.  Cost the lions the halftime lead.  Rotten stuff.  

2nd and short is the situation you hear the announcers say that teams typically take a shot.  The assumption is you can pick up the remaining yards on 3rd down.  I think in this scenario you probably just want to bleed the clock.

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But of course they did.     Fix Is In.        Now STAND UP FOR YOURSELVES, LIONS !

or drag everybody down in the next hail mary, and if they are flagged point to that quote

It was an interesting defensive game plan by Patricia...they almost won by letting Mahomes papercut them to death. 4th and 8 and he just does his magic.  I guess you can't only be up one score when he has the ball last.

Split the next two games or maybe win both. Then the schedule opens up.

32 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Bevells problem is his insistence on telegraphing 2nd and long plays. 2, or even 3 TE sets, defense stacks the box, hand off, 3rd and long.  Rinse and repeat. 

And the 2nd and 1 at the end of the first half.  KJ gets 9 on first down.  Clock running.  You hand it off, keep the chains and the clock moving, 1st and 10 would have happened with about 1 min remaining, great position.  Nope, goes for broke, incomplete, clock stops. Lions settle for a field goal after getting stuffed on 3rd down and leave over a minute on the clock.  

He has been in the league along time, tough to see him improving his sequencing.  Cost the lions the halftime lead.  Rotten stuff.  

You can nitpick just about every play caller in the league. It seems like you complain if they play too conservative (every game actually) and then complain when they play more aggressively like you're doing here. It's a lose lose with you it seems.

Personally, I think Bevell has done a good job this season mixing it up and keeping the defense off balance, a big upgrade on Cooter IMO. His playaction calls have been on point all season. My one beef with him was the late game playcalling with run up the middle, run up the middle, pass like he did at the end of the Eagles game when the Eagles had 3 timeouts and the two minute warning to stop the clock but in fairness to him, most coordinators play it conservative in that situation and I never understand it. I wasn't a fan of a particular 2nd down run in the red zone today either but not every play call is going to perfect. You can look at game film of any game and pick out at least 10 or so play calls that should have been done differently.

Anyway, the play calling didn't cost them this game. It was those two fumbles inside the 5, can't do that against good teams and expect to win. Stafford and KJ played terrific games but those were two errors that could have been easily avoided.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

To each their own.  I don’t think the refs should bail a team out on a Hail Mary that falls short of the end zone.   Ball in the end zone, then sure if the PI is super obvious, the ref should call it.  

What if a team needs 20 yards for a first down and the PI happens at 18 yards?  Should the refs bail out a team on a long pass that falls short?

29 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

It's very, very common throughout to history of football to go for a big play on 2nd and 1. The thinking is you can go ahead and easily make a yard on 3rd down if need be. It hasn't worked out too good for the Lions this year.

I'm as optimistic as I can be going into the bye week considering we're coming off a loss. I'm more concerned about getting some players a bit more healthy. But if Stafford has the same bad back as he did last season, a week off may not help too much.

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I'm as optimistic as I can be going into the bye week considering we're coming off a loss. I'm more concerned about getting some players a bit more healthy. But if Stafford has the same bad back as he did last season, a week off may not help too much.

The back/hip issues aren't going away. He's going to have to play through the pain the rest of the season. Essentially, we're not going to see a 100% healthy Stafford the rest of this season.