MAROTH4MVP

Chiefs @ Lions

41eB8PmwVqL._SX466_.jpg

@

ee60efd771e1070d52d044596267e7b3.jpg

Breaking down the Detroit Lions Wednesday injury report as the team prepares to face the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 4. Both teams are relatively healthy, but each team has a few starters who are working through injuries.

With the Lions practicing in pads on Wednesday, it limited some players early week availability.

Mike Daniels (foot) did not practice on Wednesday and the fact that coach Matt Patricia took the time to address this at his morning press conference is mildly concerning. NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo has reported that Daniels’ injury is a foot sprain and won’t “threaten his season”, but reading the tea leaves, it looks like he will miss some time.

Danny Amendola (chest) also sat out Wednesday’s practice, but with an upper-body injury and practice being padded, an early weekday off isn’t out of the question. We will know more about his status for Sunday if he is able to practice on Thursday.

Darius Slay (hamstring) being dressed in pads is encouraging, though he only went through warmups and some — not all — individual drills. Expect him to be limited this week as the Lions try to avoid risking re-tweaking his hamstring and keeping the possibility of him playing on Sunday open.

Rashaan Melvin (knee) was also limited today, but this is nothing new for the corner, as he has been limited all but one practice this regular season. Despite limited practices, he has played his full allotment on gamedays.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/25/lions-week-4-injury-report-wednesday/

FordFieldroof-main_i.jpg

• Like 1

Slowing down the KC offense even with their injuries will be difficult. Lions have been decent at containing the QB so they will probably continue to play that system against KC. Harrison and Robinson will need to cut off Mahomes from using the escape areas. Lions have to get better at getting pressure from the outside, or they will be in for a long long day.  Lions need to win in the trenches to have any hope at all. 

All three QBs the Lions have faced have a sub 60% completion percentage against the Lions. Funny how things work out. Coming into the season, the weakness on the defense was probably the secondary. The strength was no doubt the DL. Turns out, the secondary has been a strength and the DL mediocre at best.

As the Detroit Lions prepare to face the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 4, here is an update and breakdown of Thursday’s injury report.

As expected, Mike Daniels (foot) missed his second consecutive practice this week, and it doesn’t look like he will be returning to the field this week. With a BYE week looming, and the Lions cautious approach to injuries, Daniels won’t be pushed into action anytime soon.

Danny Amendola (chest) also missed today’s practice, which is a bit of a surprise and also somewhat concerning for his status for Sunday. As a veteran, Amendola doesn’t need practice to play this weekend, so this mid-week rest could just be proactive, but there’s also a chance he misses this week’s game.

Darius Slay (hamstring) continues to dress and see limited reps in drills during the portion of practice open to the media. With a hamstring injury, the Lions won’t want to rush their shutdown cornerback anytime soon, making his status for this weekend very much up in the air. Tomorrow’s practice should be very telling.

Da’Shawn Hand (elbow) continues to participate in practices but it’s still in a limited fashion. While this is positive news, there are also still a lot of unknowns about when he may be capable of returning to action.

Rashaan Melvin (knee) returned to a heavier dose of practice today and looks to be on track to play this Sunday, as he is following the same path to the field he has in previous weeks.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2019/9/26/20886017/travis-fulgham-detroit-lions-nfl-news

This is a tough game.  Mahomes as been great in every facet.  Chiefs have scored 26 or more points in all games he has started (22 I think).  That’s pretty remarkable consistency.  

Go get em.  National media had the lions as a 3 win team, 1 more win and they match that. 

04-FOX-V2.png

Kansas City @ Detroit
Kevin Burkhardt, Charles Davi
Washington @ NY Giants
Thom Brennaman, Chris Spielman
Carolina @ Houston
Kenny Albert, Ronde Barber
Seattle @ Arizona (LATE)
Dick Stockton, Mark Schlereth
Tampa Bay @ LA Rams (LATE)
Chris Myers, Daryl Johnston

This is Fox's big national game. The Lions will probably be embarassed on a big stage.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

**** it.  Win (or tie) all the games.

If the Lions go 10-1-5 and the Packers go 12-4, who wins the division?

3 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

This is a tough game.  Mahomes as been great in every facet.  Chiefs have scored 26 or more points in all games he has started (22 I think).  That’s pretty remarkable consistency.  

Go get em.  National media had the lions as a 3 win team, 1 more win and they match that. 

I saw today the line was K.C. by 6 1/2 points. I would take K.C. and give the points in this game. I hope I'm wrong but K.C looks nearly unstoppable. Both the Lions wins came against teams that self imploded. Hopefully, K.C takes us lightly and it's an upset win for the Lions. But...zero picks for Mahomes so far this season? 

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

If the Lions go 10-1-5 and the Packers go 12-4, who wins the division?

so back in the day before overtime, the standings went by winning percentage, which according to the records in Football Reference was calculated by throwing out the ties, so in 1963 the Steelers went 7 - 4 - 3 and were credited with a 636 Winning Percentage (=7/11)

By that rule the Pack would be 12/4 at 750 and the Lions would be 10/1 at 909. HOWEVER, on the NFL.com site today the Lions are listed at 2 - 0 - 1 with an 833 winning percentage, so the league is calculating differently now. 833 is 2.5/3 so they are crediting 1/2 win for tie and dividing by total games.  That would make the Pack 750 and the Lions 781 (12.5/16), so it would still be the Lions.

(Thinking back I do remember that in those days it was more important not to lose than it was to win.)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

How did the chargers or eagles implode relative to the lions?  

Really? The Chargers missed 2 field goals, lost a fumble at the Lions 1 yard line and threw a pick into the Lions end zone. And lost by 3 points.

The Eagles dropped multiple passes, 6? And they lost 2 fumbles.

But, by all means, put a Lions spin on it. Say Detroit forced those turnovers. Whatever, both the Chargers and Eagles played very sloppy games and barely lost. If the Chiefs just catch the ball and don't fumble, it may be over at halftime. If it's an offensive shootout, Detroit will come out way behind.

9 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Really? The Chargers missed 2 field goals, lost a fumble at the Lions 1 yard line and threw a pick into the Lions end zone. And lost by 3 points.

The Eagles dropped multiple passes, 6? And they lost 2 fumbles.

But, by all means, put a Lions spin on it. Say Detroit forced those turnovers. Whatever, both the Chargers and Eagles played very sloppy games and barely lost. If the Chiefs just catch the ball and don't fumble, it may be over at halftime. If it's an offensive shootout, Detroit will come out way behind.

The Packers dropped a 4th down TD pass in the end zone and threw an interception in the end zone to lose the game. Twice they made it to the 2 yard line and scored zero points. They also lost a fumble on their side of the field and Davante Adams missed most of the second half. Pretty sloppy game from the Packers. Teams don't win, they lose. 

13 hours ago, kdog said:

04-FOX-V2.png

Kansas City @ Detroit
Kevin Burkhardt, Charles Davi
Washington @ NY Giants
Thom Brennaman, Chris Spielman
Carolina @ Houston
Kenny Albert, Ronde Barber
Seattle @ Arizona (LATE)
Dick Stockton, Mark Schlereth
Tampa Bay @ LA Rams (LATE)
Chris Myers, Daryl Johnston

This is Fox's big national game. The Lions will probably be embarassed on a big stage.

Yeah this is usually my thinking.  I will be the first to come back and sing the praises if they somehow manage to win this game, but I am completely expecting a loss by more than 2 scores.

• Like 1

It really isn't a big deal if the Chiefs eviscerate them. The Lions seem to have some tough injuries. I would sit guys who are borderline and use the bye to have a healthy-ish team for Green Bay.

Slay is likely out(smart decision). Hand and Amendola trending in a positive direction.

i agree they should win (or tie) all the games, but if youre going to lose one, its better to lose this one than the next one in green bay.

even if they lose the next two (which is likely), they'd still be 2-2-1 in the hardest part of their schedule.  thats better than most of us thought theyd be.  and if they can win one of the next two, that would be a bonus.

if they beat the chiefs even the national guys might pay attention...

4 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Yeah this is usually my thinking.  I will be the first to come back and sing the praises if they somehow manage to win this game, but I am completely expecting a loss by more than 2 scores.

What kind of fan are you? You're supposed to support them through thick and thin. Drink some more of their kool-aid and blindly support them no matter what. It's the American way. 

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Packers dropped a 4th down TD pass in the end zone and threw an interception in the end zone to lose the game. Twice they made it to the 2 yard line and scored zero points. They also lost a fumble on their side of the field and Davante Adams missed most of the second half. Pretty sloppy game from the Packers. Teams don't win, they lose. 

I agree. The Packers are a joke. Losing, at home, to a team who lost to the Lions? I guess it's true, on any given Sunday...or Thursday....or Monday. The Eagles beating the Pack was an upset, only not as big as the Lions beating the Eagles.

31 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i agree they should win (or tie) all the games, but if youre going to lose one, its better to lose this one than the next one in green bay.

even if they lose the next two (which is likely), they'd still be 2-2-1 in the hardest part of their schedule.  thats better than most of us thought theyd be.  and if they can win one of the next two, that would be a bonus.

if they beat the chiefs even the national guys might pay attention...

Yeah, I picked them finishing last in the division. Surprising start, but still a lot of games to go. And it's not like we haven't seen this movie before...

Patricia had them pretty fired up last year vs. the Pats, so who knows - maybe they catch the Chiefs off guard? Although I can't imagine KC looking past the Lions and thinking this is an easy win (I'm sure their fans think it is)

2 hours ago, number20 said:

Yeah, I picked them finishing last in the division. Surprising start, but still a lot of games to go. And it's not like we haven't seen this movie before...

Patricia had them pretty fired up last year vs. the Pats, so who knows - maybe they catch the Chiefs off guard? Although I can't imagine KC looking past the Lions and thinking this is an easy win (I'm sure their fans think it is)

I had them in 3rd. I figured Green Bay wasn't going to be any good but they started out with two division wins. Now they get a week and a half to prepare for the Lions, in Wisconsin. But the Lions already exceeded my expectations, upsetting a quality team in Philadelphia. Going into the break at 2-2-1 is a bit better than I figured. I had them at 1-3, so they already beat that. And...we're in first place!

i had them winning the division.  im just a sucker for the lions.