Keepleyland2

9/24 @6:40 Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

4 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

Turnbull pitched well, too bad somebody is going to come in and allow 2 runs to score

EDIT:  relatedly (to this commercial break) does the 'song' in the Baker College commercial actually contain lyrics or just a guy kind of yelling?  It's been all season and I have no idea WTF that is supposed to be

Our inherited runs stat must be really exciting.

15 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I know I’m going to hate it when there aren’t any games for the next few months, but it’s hard to muster up the interest or courage to watch them right now. I’ll probably do it dammit. 

Its weird.  The weather has not been anywhere near what is expected at the end of the baseball season, at least in my mind.  Heck, its going to be in the upper 80s and humid next Monday and Tuesday.

10 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

HR the other night not withstanding, just not getting any good vibes about Candelario's future.

I'm afraid you're right.  Hopefully the offseason is what he needs and he can start next season fresh reclaim the form that he showed when he arrived in Detroit.  But I suspect that ain't what will happen.

Morris and Shepard were talking about next season and they suggested there were 3 roster spots claimed and all others were up for grabs.  I think I might pencil Candelario at 1B to open the season solely because its probably now or never for him.  Plus, it ain't like this team is bursting with 1B options.  Although it probably wouldn't hurt to pick up another 1B option over the winter.

54 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I'm afraid you're right.  Hopefully the offseason is what he needs and he can start next season fresh reclaim the form that he showed when he arrived in Detroit.  But I suspect that ain't what will happen.

Morris and Shepard were talking about next season and they suggested there were 3 roster spots claimed and all others were up for grabs.  I think I might pencil Candelario at 1B to open the season solely because its probably now or never for him.  Plus, it ain't like this team is bursting with 1B options.  Although it probably wouldn't hurt to pick up another 1B option over the winter.

Your 3?    I think it's more than that.   

Boyd (if not traded), Turnbull, Norris, Jimenez I think are near locks.   VerHagen and Alexander have inside tracks.   

If they're only talking position players then maybe it's 3 - Miggy, VictoryReyes,  & Jake? Niko, HCastro & Stewart have inside tracks at least?

Just now, LooseGoose said:

Boyd (if not traded), Turnbull, Norris, Jimenez I think are near locks.   VerHagen and Alexander have inside tracks.   

If they're only talking position players then maybe it's 3 - Miggy, VictoryReyes,  & Jake? Niko, HCastro & Stewart have inside tracks at least?

They mentioned 3 roster spots.  Maybe I misunderstood them and they meant 3 defined roles.  Or maybe they were just not making sense about what they spoke of.  I s'pose that was also possible.

23 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Niko is both the best position player left on the team and also not yet arb eligible which makes him a six-figure ballplayer next year, so he's a lock as well.

Everyone else will depend on how they do in spring but I would not be surprised to see up to 20 guys on the current expanded roster returning for April. The organization is on a mission, after all. They might even get Zimmermann able to return for a minor league deal that will pay him low sevens if he comes north, provided he doesn't just outright retire, because who else will have him?

42 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Yeah - I think Stewart and Candelario coming out of ST just because it is do or die for them and there is no one pushing for their spots (though it's no great stretch to imagine Reyes, Jones and H Castro all passing Stewart on the depth chart -- and Niko could even challenge for an OF spot if enough other IFs stick) . Cabrera talking about playing 1st again sounds like a pipe dream unless they come up with some kind of surgical repair that materially changes something in the knee so 1st will be wide open.

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Niko is both the best position player left on the team and also not yet arb eligible which makes him a six-figure ballplayer next year, so he's a lock as well.

Everyone else will depend on how they do in spring but I would not be surprised to see up to 20 guys on the current expanded roster returning for April. The organization is on a mission, after all. They might even get Zimmermann able to return for a minor league deal that will pay him low sevens if he comes north, provided he doesn't just outright retire, because who else will have him?

Zimmermann is signed through 2020.  

12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Funny you said that, I thought he was signed for next year and I went to make sure, and it said signed through 2020, and when I saw that I thought, OK, good, this was his last year.

Getting old sucks.

33 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Don't you think that in his last year they will be increasingly disposed to just long term DL him if he has (which he inevitably will) more nerve/spinal issues?  Heck the liability risk to the team for  permanent disability from continuing to pitch him has to be growing every year he keeps trying - could be a lot more than his last year's salary.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Liability risk?

Partial paralysis or a long term disability claim following from permanent head/neck/arm deficits or neuropathies. What happens if they deaden those nerves one more time and it make him unaware of inflation being caused by pitching and they actually get seriously compressed/inflamed/damaged because he pitches right through it? I don't like Zimmermann as a pitcher, but I don't wish him ill will as a person. I think he is crazy to keep trying to pitch through spinal issues and I wonder if the Tigers are for letting him.

If it happens, it happens.

There are protocols for going on injured reserve and the Tigers are simply going to say that Jordan claimed he was fine and they took him at his word.