Jump to content

Keepleyland2

9/19 @7:10 Detroit Tigers at Cleveland Indians

Recommended Posts

ALERT:  Changing topic ..

Those Baltimore Orioles gave up 4 runs in the top of the 9th inning two days ago to lose 8 - 5 .. and last night they gave up 6 runs in the top of the 9th inning to lose 11-10.  Can anybody say "deliberately throwing games?"

 

Good Luck though if the O's are deliberately trying to catch the Tigers for worst record. 

 

If my calculation is correct ..the Tigers magic number is 8.  Any combination of Tiger Losses and/or Oriole Wins equaling 8 will give the Tigers the worse overall record and secure the #1 Draft pick.

If Tigers go 6-5 (ha ha) .. O's need go 2-8

If Tigers go 5-6 .. O's need go 1-9.

If Tigers go 4-7 .. O's need go 0-10

Not sure what the historical difference is between overall #1 vs #2 Draft pick is .. but would rather see the Tigers have first choice.

 

..............

You may now return to your regular discussion....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

ALERT:  Changing topic ..

Those Baltimore Orioles gave up 4 runs in the top of the 9th inning two days ago to lose 8 - 5 .. and last night they gave up 6 runs in the top of the 9th inning to lose 11-10.  Can anybody say "deliberately throwing games?"

 

Good Luck though if the O's are deliberately trying to catch the Tigers for worst record. 

 

If my calculation is correct ..the Tigers magic number is 8.  Any combination of Tiger Losses and/or Oriole Wins equaling 8 will give the Tigers the worse overall record and secure the #1 Draft pick.

If Tigers go 6-5 (ha ha) .. O's need go 2-8

If Tigers go 5-6 .. O's need go 1-9.

If Tigers go 4-7 .. O's need go 0-10

Not sure what the historical difference is between overall #1 vs #2 Draft pick is .. but would rather see the Tigers have first choice.

 

..............

You may now return to your regular discussion....

I commented on that last night on a different thread and agree the O's are tossing games in a not so direct manner...like leaving in a pitcher who is doing terrible long enough to allow 6 runs in the 9th....and thanks for your numbers I feel a bit better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t care if the Tigers get #1 or #2.  I don’t know if the Angels saw something in Mike Trout that other teams didn’t see and the same goes for the Yankees with Aaron Judge, or maybe those two teams just got the best player available for their pick and just lucked out.

But I do doubt the Tigers have the personnel to see things that some other teams are able to see in some players, and to be able to develop that potential so I’m not sure that the difference between 1 and 2 is that big of a deal.

Or maybe I just have a bad attitude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Justin Verlander was taken #2.

See. This is the umpteenth time I’ve been right today.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its obviously really early and things will probably change but from things I saw the top prospect is that pitcher from Georgia some of whom have said was a clear number 1.   

I wonder if things stay the same if the Tigers would dare take another pitcher even if he is supposedly the clear number 1? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

This is the umpteenth time I’ve been right today.  

There's that baseball word "ump"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Its obviously really early and things will probably change but from things I saw the top prospect is that pitcher from Georgia some of whom have said was a clear number 1.   

I wonder if things stay the same if the Tigers would dare take another pitcher even if he is supposedly the clear number 1? 

Absolutely they should.   Taking an inferior player based on projected needs years into the future is a losing strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless something really surprising happens next year, there is not a pitcher or hitter eligible for next year's Rule 4 draft who is a clear #1 over literally everyone else.

I do know this: if the Tigers use the 1/1 pick on a high schooler, that'll confirm that they are definitely not in any hurry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I don’t care if the Tigers get #1 or #2.  I don’t know if the Angels saw something in Mike Trout that other teams didn’t see

If I remember the story correctly it was a personal connection. Somebody knew somebody who was close to Trout etc. I don't remember the exact story but they had more input about him than just conventional scouting. he had a strong advocate in their org by the time they picked him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If I remember the story correctly it was a personal connection. Somebody knew somebody who was close to Trout etc. I don't remember the exact story but they had more input about him than just conventional scouting. he had a strong advocate in their org by the time they picked him.

ESPN ran in depth story about it a few months ago, i recommend a Google search for it cause it was pretty fascinating, not just cause of trout but just seeing the inner workings of what goes into the draft and scouting guys.  

Edit: here's the story https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26864123/draft-heist-century-how-mike-trout-fell-angels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Its obviously really early and things will probably change but from things I saw the top prospect is that pitcher from Georgia some of whom have said was a clear number 1.   

Emerson Hancock. He is from Cairo, Georgia. So was Jackie Robinson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1776 said:

Emerson Hancock. He is from Cairo, Georgia. So was Jackie Robinson. 

Yep that's it, btw in Law's chat today somebody asked if he had Casey Mize level upside and he said no.  Followed up by saying Mize is/was special.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yep that's it, btw in Law's chat today somebody asked if he had Casey Mize level upside and he said no.  Followed up by saying Mize is/was special.  

I wish he didn't hate the Tigers so we could hear something nice now and then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I wish he didn't hate the Tigers so we could hear something nice now and then.

In the same chat he said that Reyes has a chance to be a regular and at worst is a 4th of and if Paredes can find a position he could be a plus player.  

Also in his ESPN article earlier today about players he was wrong about Boyd was one of the five to make the list.  He said he didn't even think he'd be a 5th starter and he is far better than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I don’t care if the Tigers get #1 or #2.  I don’t know if the Angels saw something in Mike Trout that other teams didn’t see and the same goes for the Yankees with Aaron Judge, or maybe those two teams just got the best player available for their pick and just lucked out.

But I do doubt the Tigers have the personnel to see things that some other teams are able to see in some players, and to be able to develop that potential so I’m not sure that the difference between 1 and 2 is that big of a deal.

Or maybe I just have a bad attitude. 

Difference in money and sometimes can be the difference between Peyton and Leaf. 

Me I want the #1 overall because it means your going to get the guy you want no matter what. If your picking two you can talk yourself that 1 and 2 are equal but nobody has two names on the top line of the draft board. One guy is always ranked the best. I want that guy and don't want anyone else to have a chance to take him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't think the Orioles are trying to lose games on purpose.

 

Just wanted to get that out there.

Spot on.  They might not care about game results this season, but you better believe the players are playing for their next contract and the coaches are coaching for their futures as well.  If anybody is tanking, it’s the front office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Unless something really surprising happens next year, there is not a pitcher or hitter eligible for next year's Rule 4 draft who is a clear #1 over literally everyone else.

I do know this: if the Tigers use the 1/1 pick on a high schooler, that'll confirm that they are definitely not in any hurry.

It wouldn't be really surprising for somebody to establish themselves as the clear number one next year, it happened with Mize last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Difference in money and sometimes can be the difference between Peyton and Leaf. 

Me I want the #1 overall because it means your going to get the guy you want no matter what. If your picking two you can talk yourself that 1 and 2 are equal but nobody has two names on the top line of the draft board. One guy is always ranked the best. I want that guy and don't want anyone else to have a chance to take him. 

I think the money is easy to forget, but definitely a valid point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

In the same chat he said that Reyes has a chance to be a regular and at worst is a 4th of and if Paredes can find a position he could be a plus player.  

Also in his ESPN article earlier today about players he was wrong about Boyd was one of the five to make the list.  He said he didn't even think he'd be a 5th starter and he is far better than that.

Well thats all nice to hear, i was just spoofing a bit.   Thanks for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...