RedRamage

At Eagles Pre-game chatter

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Wow. Just wow. I don't think I've seen this many injuries on one team this early in the season. Maybe we should be favored?

Philly is favored by 6.5, and I think the odds started at 7. 

I have a hard time believing that a team as banged up as Philly will beat a team like the Lions — that plays up and down to its opponents — by a TD. 

I’m just looking for the lions to run a redzone play.   Rewatched the chargers games, lions ran zero plays inside the redzone, and won.  Pretty remarkable. 

This game will say a lot about who the lions are this year.  Philly is beat up and a playoff contender.  Lions need to win these NFC games to be a legit playoff threat.  They have to clean up special teams.  If they do that they win this game. 

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

What pedigree is that? The fact they won the super bowl two years ago with a QB who is no longer on the team? Not sure what the Eagles have done this year to prove they are a better team. 

Won a Superbowl 2 years ago, won a playoff game last year with a lot of the same players while the Lions pedigree is a losing one with a pretty uninspiring finish against Arizona and game last week.

I'm not saying that the Eagles are unbeatable, I'm just saying that they should be favored even with the injuries.

the lions are the least successful franchise in nfl history with no discernible star players.  they went 6-10 last year and are predicted by just about everyone in the mainstream press to be as bad or worse (heck, espn's computers predicted them to start the year 0-11).

why is it a surprise that they are underdogs to the eagles on the road?  i dont see why anyone is surprised.

9 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Alternately, the Lions couldn't beat Arizona on the road.

The cardinals are undefeated at home this season.  

13 hours ago, Buddha said:

the lions are the least successful franchise in nfl history with no discernible star players.  they went 6-10 last year and are predicted by just about everyone in the mainstream press to be as bad or worse (heck, espn's computers predicted them to start the year 0-11).

why is it a surprise that they are underdogs to the eagles on the road?  i dont see why anyone is surprised.

Most people had the lions pegged anyone between 3 and 6 wins this season. Everyone thought they will be awful.   Through 2 games they haven’t been that, but they haven’t been world beaters either. They certainly shouldn’t be favored to win in Philly.  Can they win?  Sure, the Lions have a good talent on both sides of the ball.  But it’s about how they execute. 

Special teams has been a joke.  Offense has made some mistakes, but looks better under Bevell than JBC.  The defense has been stingy.   Let’s see what happens this weekend.  

If they win in Philly then folks will start taking about them, and then predicting that we lose by 30 to the chiefs.  

16 hours ago, NYLion said:

Won a Superbowl 2 years ago, won a playoff game last year with a lot of the same players while the Lions pedigree is a losing one with a pretty uninspiring finish against Arizona and game last week.

I'm not saying that the Eagles are unbeatable, I'm just saying that they should be favored even with the injuries.

There's little doubt in my mind that the Eagles have much better coaching. Not a bit better, much better. And in the NFL, good coaches can get more from their players than a bad coach can get out of better players. It's all about putting players in the best position to succeed.  If a player is weak in certain situations, either don't put him in that situation or get a different player in there. Do not, ever, get stubborn and insist on forcing your system on players who can't perform in that system. This is where I give the Eagles the edge. 6 points? No, I would actually take Detroit with the points. But I look for the Eagles to win a close game. Better coaching, better special teams and much better time management. 

While I think we all agree Schwartz was not a successful head coach here I think many feel he is a good coordinator and people still love Pederson for the 4th down risks and trick plays in the Super Bowl.

I'm not convinced.  I watched the Eagles-Falcons game Sunday and Pederson is going to get Wentz killed letting him run read options when he clearly lacks the sense to protect himself and Schwartz's all out blitzes cost them the game.

15 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Eagles, whose defensive coordinator is a fired Lions coach, have much better coaching. 

Without necessarily agreeing with Sports Freak, a bad HC might still be a great DC or OC.
I know it's not a perfect analogy, but... a player who would be considered a poor defense SS might be a superb defensive 1st baseman.
To piggyback on SF's comment about putting players in a position to succeed, the same could be said about coaches.

Now, having said that I don't know that I agree that the Eagles coaches are much better.  I think it's easy as fans of any team to rip on your coaches because you see them all the time and you know the players well.  You see all the little "mistakes" while missing the opposing coaches mistakes.

It's too early for me to say if Patricia is a good HC or not.  He's definitely made mistakes, but every coach does, especially rookie HCs.

7 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Without necessarily agreeing with Sports Freak, a bad HC might still be a great DC or OC.
I know it's not a perfect analogy, but... a player who would be considered a poor defense SS might be a superb defensive 1st baseman.
To piggyback on SF's comment about putting players in a position to succeed, the same could be said about coaches.

Now, having said that I don't know that I agree that the Eagles coaches are much better.  I think it's easy as fans of any team to rip on your coaches because you see them all the time and you know the players well.  You see all the little "mistakes" while missing the opposing coaches mistakes.

It's too early for me to say if Patricia is a good HC or not.  He's definitely made mistakes, but every coach does, especially rookie HCs.

I just find it ironic that the Eagles coaching staff is so much better when they employee former Lions coaches. I think Schwartz is worthy of another head coaching job. Looking at Pederson, he had that incredible season where he won a super bowl. Take away that season, and he's 17-17 as a head coach. If anyone watched the Eagles game, they blitzed one too many times. Everybody in the stadium knew they were going to blitz and Atlanta roasted them because of it. Lost the game for them. Doesn't sound like the coaching staff put them in the best position to win. We would be out for Patricia's blood if the Lions defense was that predictable and got burned so badly for the game winning TD.

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I hope Stafford doesn't get seriously injured from an all out Schwartz blitz. I can see that happening.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I just find it ironic that the Eagles coaching staff is so much better when they employee former Lions coaches. I think Schwartz is worthy of another head coaching job. Looking at Pederson, he had that incredible season where he won a super bowl. Take away that season, and he's 17-17 as a head coach. If anyone watched the Eagles game, they blitzed one too many times. Everybody in the stadium knew they were going to blitz and Atlanta roasted them because of it. Lost the game for them. Doesn't sound like the coaching staff put them in the best position to win. We would be out for Patricia's blood if the Lions defense was that predictable and got burned so badly for the game winning TD.

It only takes one blitz to injure a QB. And we all know the Lions have an inability to protect the QB. It could lead to multiple turnovers. If they get burned once or twice? No big deal if they get Stafford out of the game after recovering several of his famous fumbles.

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

You can focus on the 17-17 since the Super Bowl win.   The reality is that you can’t take away that season and it exists as a sign of why Pederson and staff are regarded as better than the Lions.  

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

You can focus on the 17-17 since the Super Bowl win.   The reality is that you can’t take away that season and it exists as a sign of why Pederson and staff are regarded as better than the Lions.  

I like to focus on the current state of the team. Patricia has more rings anyways. 

If we are focusing on the current state of the season, we're a dropped pick six and a Chargers fumble away from being 0-2. In spite of looking like trash last week and almost handing the game to the Cardinals week 1, I do think we have a real shot to win this. Carson Wentz and the Eagles "vaunted" offense has not yet returned to form this season. Add onto that the Eagles almost choked away a game against a bad Redskins team. I am still predicting us to lose in the end, but wouldn't be completely surprised if we pulled out a win.

25 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If we are focusing on the current state of the season, we're a dropped pick six and a Chargers fumble away from being 0-2. In spite of looking like trash last week and almost handing the game to the Cardinals week 1, I do think we have a real shot to win this. Carson Wentz and the Eagles "vaunted" offense has not yet returned to form this season. Add onto that the Eagles almost choked away a game against a bad Redskins team. I am still predicting us to lose in the end, but wouldn't be completely surprised if we pulled out a win.

The Eagles lost to a team that got blown out by Minnesota and got smacked around too. The Eagles looked worse than the Lions did to a team that is worse than the Chargers. The Eagles also got smacked around for a half by a bad Washington team.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I like to focus on the current state of the team. Patricia has more rings anyways. 

I'm sure his rings have nothing to do with Brady and Belichick and man, that defense is sure struggling without the defensive genius.

I'm amazed at the lengths you'll go to downplay the opposition and pump up the Lions. I mean, you're arguing the notion that a Superbowl winning coaching staff is better than the Lions coaching staff. 

19 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I'm sure his rings have nothing to do with Brady and Belichick and man, that defense is sure struggling without the defensive genius.

I'm amazed at the lengths you'll go to downplay the opposition and pump up the Lions. I mean, you're arguing the notion that a Superbowl winning coaching staff is better than the Lions coaching staff. 

I'm amazed the lengths people will go to say a team that won a super bowl two years with a QB that's not even on their roster anymore is the same team they have today. They're 10-8 since that super bowl and 6-7 when Wentz plays. The Lions have more talent and should win.

I know I’m going to regret going down this rabbit hole with you MB, but here goes nothing: 

Eagles have more talent on OL, DL, LB, RB, TE

Lions have more talent on DB

QB is the very similar with Philadelphia having the younger version of the same thing   

WR would normally be a slight edge to Eagles but definitely is Lions favor this week.  

40 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm amazed the lengths people will go to say a team that won a super bowl two years with a QB that's not even on their roster anymore is the same team they have today. They're 10-8 since that super bowl and 6-7 when Wentz plays. The Lions have more talent and should win.

Lol ok.

You know they won a playoff game year last season as well and Wentz is the one who won most of the games in the Superbowl season. So you're saying that Files is better than Wentz and that Foles is pretty much the reason why they won the Superbowl? I can't see any legit argument for picking the Lions coaching staff over the Eagles, none.

With all due respect, you're a homer and it shows. There's no objectivity in your assessment.