IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I also do not think he is kryptonite to American clubs.  Had he hit well, he'd be a Cub.

But he doesn't, so he is.

When talent isn't enough to cover the sins, the sins loom much larger.

8 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Gardy has had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to work with. Name one starting position player that would work on any other team in MLB? The Tigers literally do not HAVE 1. I don't know how anyone can be upset with Gardy. It'd literally be like asking someone to build a computer and giving them a grain of sand in the middle of the ocean. Gardy is a good coach. The Tiger leadership needs to give him SOMETHING to work with. 

Yes, Gardy has little to work with, but one of the stated reasons he was signed on to manage the Tigers was so he could teach those he did have to work with to play the game "the right way". But the team looked even sloppier this past season than in 2018, by which I mean more mental errors, not just lack of talent. If the players he has are only getting sloppier, what value is Gardy providing?

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yes, Gardy has little to work with, but one of the stated reasons he was signed on to manage the Tigers was so he could teach those he did have to work with to play the game "the right way". But the team looked even sloppier this past season than in 2018, by which I mean more mental errors, not just lack of talent. If the players he has are only getting sloppier, what value is Gardy providing?

Do we really care about “the stated reasons”?

Crappy players are crappy and sloppy. I don’t really care either way about the manger with this group of garbage. 

• Like 1

Just now, Shelton said:

Do we really care about “the stated reasons”?

Crappy players are crappy and sloppy. I don’t really care either way about the manger with this group of garbage. 

I don't. Gardenhire is just another deck chair on the Titanic.

I frankly have no good way to judge if they made more or fewer mental errors in 2019 relative to 2018.

And even if they did, I don't know how much of that is attributable to, or could be mitigated by, the coaching staff.

45 minutes ago, chasfh said:

But he doesn't, so he is.

When talent isn't enough to cover the sins, the sins loom much larger.

In other words, not hitting the ball is the kypotonite, not him allegedly hitting his spouse.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In other words, not hitting the ball is the kypotonite, not him allegedly hitting his spouse.

They're a package deal. The greater the talent, the less the sins matter. The lesser the talent, the more the sins matter.

Sure.  I really doubt too many people are going to care if the Tigers sign a ineffectual shortstop who got into an altercation with his wife, one she didn't report, after being released by another club due to performance reasons.

If it were the Yankees or Red Sox or Dodgers, maybe.

In a macabre way, that is a 'benefit' to being a really crappy team, less attention paid to moves like these and some segment of the public thinks it is ok for someone to go there to rebuild their image as a form of penance.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Sure.  I really doubt too many people are going to care if the Tigers sign a ineffectual shortstop who got into an altercation with his wife, one she didn't report, after being released by another club due to performance reasons.

In a macabre way, that is a 'benefit' to being a really crappy team, less attention paid to moves like these and some segment of the public thinks it is ok for someone to go there to rebuild their image as a sort of penance.

Will we finally see Barry Bonds in a Tiger uniform?

52 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In a macabre way, that is a 'benefit' to being a really crappy team, less attention paid to moves like these and some segment of the public thinks it is ok for someone to go there to rebuild their image as a form of penance.

I care. I don’t want the tigers to sign him. 

Under the right circumstances I wouldn't mind Det giving him a chance. I'm not convinced he's a starter in mlb though. I'd just as soon have Mercer back another year and put him at 2B. Imho W Castro needs more time in Toledo. Mercer seems a good tutor and overall clubhouse guy. And when healthy he's ok. I also hear he's a heckuva rollerball skater

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

all sorts of these on twitter.

cause twitter is the worst place on earth that gives a voice to the worst people on earth.

39 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I care. I don’t want the tigers to sign him. 

WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?????

• Like 1

Yo****omo Tsutsugo is drawing interest from multiple clubs -- mostly in the American League -- with less than two weeks remaining in his posting window to sign with a Major League team.

Sources say the Blue Jays, White Sox, Twins and Tigers are among the teams with interest in Tsutsugo, the left-handed power hitter posted last month by the Yokohama DeNA BayStars of Japan’s Nippon Professional Baseball.

Tsutsugo, 28, has been compared to Kyle Schwarber as a hitter and defender. Tsutsugo primarily plays left field, but he has experience at first base. He's averaged about 33 home runs per season over the last five years with the BayStars.

Scouts question whether Tsutsugo has the range to be an average defensive left fielder in the Majors. However, one executive said Thursday that Tsutsugo’s powerful bat is enough to keep him in the lineup every day, although perhaps at different positions. By signing with an AL club, Tsutsugo would have the opportunity to move among left field, first base and designated hitter depending on matchups and defensive needs.

Tsutsugo is part of one of the all-time largest classes moving from NPB to MLB in a single offseason. Center fielder Shogo Akiyama is an international free agent, while second baseman Ryosuke Kikuchi and right-hander Shun Yamaguchi have been posted.

https://www.mlb.com/news/yo****omo-tsutsugo-drawing-interest-from-al-clubs

Lynn Henning suggests their willingness to go after him means they know their plan isn’t working.  If that’s true get rid of the people devising the plan.   If littlefield and Chadd can’t do their jobs .... 

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

Lynn Henning suggests their willingness to go after him means they know their plan isn’t working.  If that’s true get rid of the people devising the plan.   If littlefield and Chadd can’t do their jobs .... 

To me it suggests that they said they were looking for a power hitting 1b or OF and are looking at many differed options.

3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Did he say whether they should move the fences in?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Buddha said:

WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?????

Cool. 

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

he continues to be an idiot.  unfollowing him on Twitter has made my life measurably better.  

Did he really thing that every player on the next good team was going to be developed through the draft/minors?

35 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Would you stop supporting the team if they sign him?

I don’t really know what counts as supporting the tigers anymore. I don’t go to games. I don’t care if they win or lose. I rarely watch them on tv. At this point my “support” consists of wanting them be good again one day and hoping their prospects develop. That will remain the same regardless of who they sign or don’t sign this offseason.