IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

4 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

BTW, I can't believe that some members here would actually see signing Addison Russell as a positive. I think thatdoing so would be Neifi Perez v2

Well he's no Torey Lovullo

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

So your team is on the minor league chopping block and your decide to become less asociated with the major league club? 

That's some bold thinking there. 

I still have my orange OneontaTigers  hat.

2 minutes ago, apabruce said:

I still have my orange OneontaTigers  hat.

I have a blue one.  Oneonta was a unique experience!

Back in the days when I just came here to talk Tigers baseball hommies, before I got banned, I started at least 6 new threads every day. 

14 hours ago, chasfh said:

About sending Gardenhire back to Minnesota? Why do you hope he's joking?

Gardy has had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to work with. Name one starting position player that would work on any other team in MLB? The Tigers literally do not HAVE 1. I don't know how anyone can be upset with Gardy. It'd literally be like asking someone to build a computer and giving them a grain of sand in the middle of the ocean. Gardy is a good coach. The Tiger leadership needs to give him SOMETHING to work with. 

6 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

There has bee an evolution toward less thread starting, and that does lead to absurdly deep threads that only people who spend substantial time here are likely to know the history of - D&L is correct about that aspect. This has come up before, I think some of it has to do with the ease handling a lot threads on small displays vs large ones as the proportion of people posting from handheld devices increases - but for whatever reason -- instead of the forum sections being immortal, more and more it is just individual threads encompassing the whole topic becoming immortal. I don't care that much one way or the other but for the people who might I could see the lack of explicit discussion of the way the site has been changing could be an irritation.

It should be noted that this evolution has been entirely community driven. I think a majority of the mods lean in favor of a larger number of more narrowly focused threads (at least that's the sense I have based on some conversations in the mod forum, but it's been a while since it's been discussed), but as this view is not shared by the majority of regular users, mega-threads are the way we do things here. There have been times when someone complained about a dedicated thread for something clearly worthy of it's own thread, but not so much anymore. We seem to have found a pretty good balance that works for the largest number of regulars. Every forum has a different vibe and way of doing things. This is the way things work here at MTS. 

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

After all, did the trade of cash in exchange for Dario Agrazal really warrant its own thread? That topic probably would have been one post and out.

False. 

One post and out?  You are vastly underrating the power of snarkasm around here.

8 hours ago, kdog said:

<Puts entire message board on mute>

Wow, he's been worse at the plate than I thought he was.  His arbitration estimate per bbref is $5.1M for next season.  Is he good enough defensively that it'd be worth it?  Is his biggest skill set that he's still young enough to be on an upward trend in his career?

The Twins have agreed to a one-year contract with free-agent catcher Alex Avila, ESPN’s Jeff Passan tweets. The Excel Sports client will take home a $4.25MM guarantee on the new deal, per the report.

good for Alex--he's been one of our more successful position players drafted/developed.  after that breakout season, I really thought he would have a better career than he has, but I think all of those concussions he suffered really did a number on him.

If we're in the market for a catcher > Gerald Laird or Brayan Pena, I wonder if we'll pursue Jason Castro?

I'm fine with Addison Russell--my understanding is that he would not be eligible for arbitration this year as he would already be agreeing to a free agent contract with us.  Given his recent performance and off the field issues, I don't see him getting any more than Iglesias did last year (~$2.0M).  I'd take that risk--still only 25.  That's what this team should be doing, and not wasting 500 AB's on Niko Goodrum at SS.

15 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I'm fine with Addison Russell--my understanding is that he would not be eligible for arbitration this year as he would already be agreeing to a free agent contract with us.  Given his recent performance and off the field issues, I don't see him getting any more than Iglesias did last year (~$2.0M).  I'd take that risk--still only 25.  That's what this team should be doing, and not wasting 500 AB's on Niko Goodrum at SS.

agreed.

Damien Easley hired as SD hitting coach 

Rays trade Pham to SD; get Xavier Edwards as part of package

Damion

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I like how the home run hitter walks along outside the dugout fiving all his teammates, NHL-style, before he goes in. I wouldn't mind seeing that in the majors.

44 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If they're serious about Addison Russell, if the front office plays it right, they might even be able to get him on a minor league contract, since he was a minor leaguer just last year. He's essentially kryptonite to practically every other team because of the domestic abuse issues, he's surely desperate to play somewhere anywhere, and the Tigers are desperate to sign anyone who might pass for a major leaguer they think they could flip. His only other option might be Asia, and perhaps even that might not be open to him.

I don't know how domestic abuse plays over there. If it's much less important there than here, which is possible, then Asia might work.

I doubt many in Asia would be aware, or care about, the alleged incident.

That sort of thing is not discussed, frankly.   Probably similar to the US 50 years ago.