IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

There is another facet to this problem that I'm going to take the liberty to expand on.

If you want a closed community, then perhaps that is what you should make of this place?  I'm sure there must be controls in the software that permit this.

By being an open community with easily accessible controls to join, you give off the impression that participation by new members is welcome here.

But, not all Tiger fans have the time to come here and rot 6+ hours per day  just to follow the ever-growing "off season discussion thread" where myriad topics are addressed in serial fashion, nor should they be subjected to the kangaroo court that assembles over the dread of a new thread created.

I think it is totally unreasonable to expect  casual users to have to sort through a 96 page monstrosity such as this thread just to make certain that the topic of their interest wasn't already covered on page 66 (as I had to do with my curiosity about the fate of Erie) of 96, or run the risk of ridicule from the good ol boy network.

Had there been a thread specific to the discussion that had already transpired on the subject of shrinking the minor leagues, I never would have found that obsolete post by Oblong in the first place.

So, in a way, the policies some of you so covet, give rise to these situations that others of you so loathe. But by all means, let's just write it all off as  another opportunity to pile up on the newcomer.   That's not "adolescent" AT ALL, IS IT?

excuse me, I think I left something in the car.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kdog said:

I like some of the user features on this here website. It allows me to curate the message board to my preferences.

I'm thisclose to taking advantage of one of those user features myself.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Nobody would have complained if you had started a thread on the shrinking of the minors.  That is a separate topic which deserves its own thread.  People wouldn't like it like it if you started a thread saying the Tigers should sign CJ Cron because that is a topic which fits into the off-season thread.  If everybody started their own thread about who the Tigers should sign, it would be hard to find things.  

What about a sign Ackley thread?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

There is another facet to this problem that I'm going to take the liberty to expand on.

If you want a closed community, then perhaps that is what you should make of this place?  I'm sure there must be controls in the software that permit this.

By being an open community with easily accessible controls to join, you give off the impression that participation by new members is welcome here.

But, not all Tiger fans have the time to come here and rot 6+ hours per day  just to follow the ever-growing "off season discussion thread" where myriad topics are addressed in serial fashion, nor should they be subjected to the kangaroo court that assembles over the dread of a new thread created.

I think it is totally unreasonable to expect  casual users to have to sort through a 96 page monstrosity such as this thread just to make certain that the topic of their interest wasn't already covered on page 66 (as I had to do with my curiosity about the fate of Erie) of 96, or run the risk of ridicule from the good ol boy network.

Had there been a thread specific to the discussion that had already transpired on the subject of shrinking the minor leagues, I never would have found that obsolete post by Oblong in the first place.

So, in a way, the policies some of you so covet, give rise to these situations that others of you so loathe. But by all means, let's just write it all off as  another opportunity to pile up on the newcomer.   That's not "adolescent" AT ALL, IS IT?

Motown Sports: Catch the Fever!

Casey Crosby signed a minor league contract with the Dodgers, yes I too was surprised he was still involved in baseball.  I guess he's been working with driveline and now has his FB sitting at 97 with 2700rpms.  Impressive numbers.

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Nobody would have complained if you had started a thread on the shrinking of the minors.  That is a separate topic which deserves its own thread.  People wouldn't like it like it if you started a thread saying the Tigers should sign CJ Cron because that is a topic which fits into the off-season thread.  If everybody started their own thread about who the Tigers should sign, it would be hard to find things.  

I appreciate your willingness to pursue a sensible closure to this exchange. I ask that you contemplate that it is especially challenging to determine what 'the community would not have complained about" I might just as well have expected snarky observations of "HAVEN'T WE ALREADY  COVERED THIS?" and the like. (tolerance being the obviously moving entity that it is here)

But you know what? I believe that I'll choose to focus on the positive aspect of your message, so in the future when I'd like to cover a sufficiently narrow topic that I believe it deserves it's own thread, I'll just start my own thread, and to **** with all the sidewalk superintendents with their sarcasm....and instead I'll just assume that if a thread doesn't belong here, the moderators will delete it .:cool:

5 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

I appreciate your willingness to pursue a sensible closure to this exchange. I ask that you contemplate that it is especially challenging to determine what 'the community would not have complained about" I might just as well have expected snarky observations of "HAVEN'T WE ALREADY  COVERED THIS?" and the like. (tolerance being the obviously moving entity that it is here)

But you know what? I believe that I'll choose to focus on the positive aspect of your message, so in the future when I'd like to cover a sufficiently narrow topic that I believe it deserves it's own thread, I'll just start my own thread, and to **** with all the sidewalk superintendents with their sarcasm....and intead I'll just assume that if a thread doesn't belong here, the moderators will delete it .:cool:

Haven't we already covered this?

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Casey Crosby signed a minor league contract with the Dodgers, yes I too was surprised he was still involved in baseball.  I guess he's been working with driveline and now has his FB sitting at 97 with 2700rpms.  Impressive numbers.

Casey played this past season with the Chicago Dogs. Carlos Zambrano was also on that team.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Not to play thread cop, but there was a thread on the proposed minor league contraction in the Minor League section. It is the latest thread under the Erie subsection. 

It took a whole minute and a half to find it

41 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

t there was a thread on the proposed minor league contraction in the Minor League section. It is the latest thread under the Erie subsection. 

Sincere thanks for that pointer. I had this section of MTS bookmarked in my browser, and really didn't realize there was an Erie forum here.:$

However, I've tied to post to it three times in the past half hour and keep getting error messages

56 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

BTW, I can't believe that some members here would actually see signing Addison Russell as a positive. I think thatdoing so would be Neifi Perez v2

Ok I'll bite.

How could anyone come to the conclusion that Perez and Russell are equivalent? Because they play SS?

21 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Ok I'll bite.

How could anyone come to the conclusion that Perez and Russell are equivalent? Because they play SS?

Mostly because they are/were Cubs shortstops who sukked ...I know that Neifi had + defense, but still the over riding qualities of former  milquetoast* Cubs shortstop are, IMO, enough to flag "mistake".

I don't care for Russell's extracurricular  exploits either, but as someone else has already pointed out, The I's have built a bad enough reputation in Detroit on their own, that Russell's woes would be a fly on the elephant. Afterall, since winning and attendance do not matter, how could negative PR do any more damage than has been done? The Tigers are already the laughing stock of national sports media....

* no offense intended to the lactose intolerant 

4 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Yep.  It's not harder to find something with a lot of narrow, focused threads as opposed to a few broad threads like "Offseason Discussion," it's a lot easier, because the topic heading gives you much more specific guidance as to what's in a thread.  I miss a lot in the huge "all-encompassing"  threads because I often don't have time to read anywhere near everything in them.

In the late, lamented official MLB Tigers Message Board, it was par for the course for people to start narrow new threads about whatever interested them, or if they had something to say  that could get lost in a wide-ranging thread.  But when I first came here and didn't know the "rules," my starting new threads was met with horrible howling like what the pod people did when they spotted one of the remaining real humans in the Seventies remake of " Invasion of the Body Snatchers."   The bullying members of the Anti-New-Thread Association and the Appropriate Forum Police were so mean to me that I may need years of therapy to recover.

Thanks Six, much as always...your support is greatly appreciated     .?

Any suspicion that I may have had duplicitous motive all along, would be hysterical exaggeration.

50 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Mostly because they are/were Cubs shortstops who sukked ...I know that Neifi had + defense, but still the over riding qualities of former  milquetoast* Cubs shortstop are, IMO, enough to flag "mistake".

You do realize that Russell's success in no way depends on Perez's success, or lack thereof?

The 2 are not connected in any way. Willi Castro will not be good because Alan Trammel was.

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Had there been a thread specific to the discussion that had already transpired o

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Nobody would have complained if you had started a thread on the shrinking of the minors. 

There has bee an evolution toward less thread starting, and that does lead to absurdly deep threads that only people who spend substantial time here are likely to know the history of - D&L is correct about that aspect. This has come up before, I think some of it has to do with the ease handling a lot threads on small displays vs large ones as the proportion of people posting from handheld devices increases - but for whatever reason -- instead of the forum sections being immortal, more and more it is just individual threads encompassing the whole topic becoming immortal. I don't care that much one way or the other but for the people who might I could see the lack of explicit discussion of the way the site has been changing could be an irritation.

17 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Sea Unicorns!

So your team is on the minor league chopping block and your decide to become less asociated with the major league club? 

That's some bold thinking there. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

There has bee an evolution toward less thread starting, and that does lead to absurdly deep threads that only people who spend substantial time here are likely to know the history of - D&L is correct about that aspect. This has come up before, I think some of it has to do with the ease handling a lot threads on small displays vs large ones as the proportion of people posting from handheld devices increases - but for whatever reason -- instead of the forum sections being immortal, more and more it is just individual threads encompassing the whole topic becoming immortal. I don't care that much one way or the other but for the people who might I could see the lack of explicit discussion of the way the site has been changing could be an irritation.

The problem with a lot of threads is they never stick to the topic in the title and you end up with multiple threads on random topics like in the political forum.  Then when you want to find a post that you saw earlier, you don't know what thread it is in.  

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Yep.  It's not harder to find something with a lot of narrow, focused threads as opposed to ...

The flip side is if you start a thread about every Tom, Dick and Harry thought that pops into your head then there is a stream of asinine 3 post threads that noone has any interest in.

I prefer the thread police in here. 

Despite some of the threads becoming a bit unwieldy.

If an idea is significant enough, start a thread. There won't be complaints.

I like all-encompassing threads vs thousands of minor threads because so many stories are just really short-lived. After all, did the trade of cash in exchange for Dario Agrazal really warrant its own thread? That topic probably would have been one post and out. There are dozens of minor stories just like that that an all-encompassing offseason thread is perfect for. I appreciate that short media cycle stories get filtered into threads like this.

When a story is uniquely big, such as what’s going to happen to Nicholas Castellanos? Or will Lou Whitaker be named to the Hall of Fame on the Modern Era Ballot? Or is Dan Gilbert angling to buy the team? Burying those discussions within regular season or offseason catch-all threads makes less sense to me, so I think a thread dedicated to stories of that magnitude works.

I think we’ve struck the right balance here.