IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Just now, Shelton said:

I don’t know who wrote that but it’s not true that this is tigers first comp balance pick. They received one about 10 years ago, back when they were good and drawing a lot of fans. It didn’t make a lot of sense at the time, but it was because the tigers were able to deduct stadium loan payments to lower their net revenue number. I think we ended up trading the pick. It may have the trade for anibal but I don’t remember exactly.  

Fenech

36 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t know who wrote that but it’s not true that this is tigers first comp balance pick. They received one about 10 years ago, back when they were good and drawing a lot of fans. It didn’t make a lot of sense at the time, but it was because the tigers were able to deduct stadium loan payments to lower their net revenue number. I think we ended up trading the pick. It may have the trade for anibal but I don’t remember exactly.  

they swapped the CB picks

The teams are also trading competitive balance lottery picks. Detroit receives one between next year's first and second rounds from Miami, while the Marlins get one between rounds two and three from the Tigers. It's the first time baseball draft picks have been traded, which is allowable on a limited basis under the new collective bargaining agreement.

12 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I really hope you're joking......

About sending Gardenhire back to Minnesota? Why do you hope he's joking?

21 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

they swapped the CB picks

The teams are also trading competitive balance lottery picks. Detroit receives one between next year's first and second rounds from Miami, while the Marlins get one between rounds two and three from the Tigers. It's the first time baseball draft picks have been traded, which is allowable on a limited basis under the new collective bargaining agreement.

That’s right. It appears that we used the pick we got from the marlins to draft Knebel. Not sure who the marlins took with the pick they got from us. 

I think that was the only time we were awarded one before this year. This is the first time under the new system that we got one, so maybe that’s what Fenech was going with. 

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

That’s right. It appears that we used the pick we got from the marlins to draft Knebel. Not sure who the marlins took with the pick they got from us. 

I think that was the only time we were awarded one before this year. This is the first time under the new system that we got one, so maybe that’s what Fenech was going with. 

Was Castellanos taken with a competitive balance pick?  For some reason it seems like he was - nope found it.  He was compensation for losing Rodney.

20 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Wheeler to the Phillies for 5/118.   He's got the stuff to be a number 1 or high end number 2 but that just seems like a lot of money to commit to a guy that has had alot of injuries and only has put together 1 great season. 

Plus as good as his stuff is it hasn't translated to a ton of k's.  By today's standards his k rate is nothing special.  Oh well I guess the Phillies can afford him. 

Edit: Nightengale says that the White Sox actually had a higher offer for him but he spurned them for the Phillies. 

So much for the idea that players always go only for the most money.

57 minutes ago, chasfh said:

In terms of priority, it should be obvious that the wife outranks money.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Pennsylvania has a lower tax rate than Illinois and the cost of living is less in Philadelphia than Chicago so I guess it depends on how much more the offer was.  If it was just marginally more than he probably will end up clearing more money with the Phillies than he would have with the White Sox despite the offer being less. 

On 12/3/2019 at 5:26 PM, tiger337 said:

Do you think people here are trying to intimidate you?  

Perhaps "intimidate" was not the best choice of words that I might have made.

I think that there are several intelligent posters here that I would enjoy trading thoughts with. At the same time, I think there is a handful of members  (I'll bet you could name them with little real effort) who seem to be stuck in the 1990's with their belief that sarcasm = intelligence.  Enduring such close proximity to the monkey* cage without feeling splattered, and responding in a manner they deserve...can grow tedious very quickly. 

The word choice of "intimidated" was just my attempt to be concise. 

* no racial connotation intended

On 12/2/2019 at 6:07 PM, Oblong said:

I don’t use the term “grandfathered” anymore either 

I'm curious to your rationale, if you care to elaborate?

In the same vein, do you have any objections to the metaphor "When those birds come home to roost"?

8 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Perhaps "intimidate" was not the best choice of words that I might have made.

I think that there are several intelligent posters here that I would enjoy trading thoughts with. At the same time, I think there is a handful of members  (I'll bet you could name them with little real effort) who seem to be stuck in the 1990's with their belief that sarcasm = intelligence.  Enduring such close proximity to the monkey* cage without feeling splattered, and responding in a manner they deserve...can grow tedious very quickly. 

The word choice of "intimidated" was just my attempt to be concise. 

* no racial connotation intended

Let's just talk baseball

20 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I wish I was stuck in the 90s.  I was a lot younger then.  

Notwithstanding the feelings of a youth misspent, You have some members here who's stock in trade is being abrasive,  My guess is that it must amuse them to do so,  But the only real challenge I perceive from them is trying to not respond to such abuse  in a manner that might irritate the moderators here. I suspect they are a great deal more tolerant of abuse coming  from long term members than they are from a newcomer.

Which my guess .....is at least half the motivation to the original offenders.

5 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Let's just talk baseball

I was responding to a question posed to me, sorry if you feel burdened having to skip past my responses

On 12/2/2019 at 5:49 PM, tiger337 said:

dumberandleaner, if you don't like it here, then leave.

There is another facet to this problem that I'm going to take the liberty to expand on.

If you want a closed community, then perhaps that is what you should make of this place?  I'm sure there must be controls in the software that permit this.

By being an open community with easily accessible controls to join, you give off the impression that participation by new members is welcome here.

But, not all Tiger fans have the time to come here and rot 6+ hours per day  just to follow the ever-growing "off season discussion thread" where myriad topics are addressed in serial fashion, nor should they be subjected to the kangaroo court that assembles over the dread of a new thread created.

I think it is totally unreasonable to expect  casual users to have to sort through a 96 page monstrosity such as this thread just to make certain that the topic of their interest wasn't already covered on page 66 (as I had to do with my curiosity about the fate of Erie) of 96, or run the risk of ridicule from the good ol boy network.

Had there been a thread specific to the discussion that had already transpired on the subject of shrinking the minor leagues, I never would have found that obsolete post by Oblong in the first place.

So, in a way, the policies some of you so covet, give rise to these situations that others of you so loathe. But by all means, let's just write it all off as  another opportunity to pile up on the newcomer.   That's not "adolescent" AT ALL, IS IT?

45 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Let's just talk baseball

I'm just here to talk Tigers baseball with my homies!

12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I'm just here to talk Tigers baseball with my homies!

Hommie 

I like some of the user features on this here website. It allows me to curate the message board to my preferences.

4 hours ago, 4hzglory said:

Was Castellanos taken with a competitive balance pick?  For some reason it seems like he was - nope found it.  He was compensation for losing Rodney.

He was a free agent compensation pick for the loss of Brandon Lyon.

45 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

There is another facet to this problem that I'm going to take the liberty to expand on.

If you want a closed community, then perhaps that is what you should make of this place?  I'm sure there must be controls in the software that permit this.

By being an open community with easily accessible controls to join, you give off the impression that participation by new members is welcome here.

But, not all Tiger fans have the time to come here and rot 6+ hours per day  just to follow the ever-growing "off season discussion thread" where myriad topics are addressed in serial fashion, nor should they be subjected to the kangaroo court that assembles over the dread of a new thread created.

I think it is totally unreasonable to expect  casual users to have to sort through a 96 page monstrosity such as this thread just to make certain that the topic of their interest wasn't already covered on page 66 (as I had to do with my curiosity about the fate of Erie) of 96, or run the risk of ridicule from the good ol boy network.

Had there been a thread specific to the discussion that had already transpired on the subject of shrinking the minor leagues, I never would have found that obsolete post by Oblong in the first place.

So, in a way, the policies some of you so covet, give rise to these situations that others of you so loathe. But by all means, let's just write it all off as  another opportunity to pile up on the newcomer.   That's not "adolescent" AT ALL, IS IT?

Oh, goodness. This is both insulting and patronizing.  However, it is also quite humorous if you read it while using the voice of Sheldon Cooper. Then it's tolerable, somewhat. 

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

He was a free agent compensation pick for the loss of Brandon Lyon.

If this was a multiple choice question, I would have never picked this answer in a million years

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Oh, goodness. This is both insulting and patronizing.  However, it is also quite humorous if you read it while using the voice of Sheldon Cooper. Then it's tolerable, somewhat. 

You are the most capable of determining how you should feel, I won't debate that.

I'm curious why some people are so worried about terms other people use?

"I'm offended you're sort of offended... "